• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How much should I wait with eating after I popped some Xanax?

talkin2myself

Bluelighter
I mean I experienced that it gives its best on an empty stomach, I'm just wondering, how long should I wait, I don't wanna slower its absorbation or make the effects weaker with eating. Is 30 minutes enough?

Benzos actually tend to be lipophilic, so taking them with food usually increases their bioavailability.

I'm not a smart man, so basically it means if I eat a pizza, and 15 minutes later I pop some Xans it's more effective than it was without eating?

Bacon is the best option. It has plenty of non trans-fat and you don't have to eat a lot of it.

And yes if you eat a fatty pizza you'll end up absorbing more Xanax than without. Just don't eat too much and take the drug while eating.

Oxycodone gets absorbed better too when taken while eating a high fat meal. Also it won't make atleast myself as nauseous than taking it on empty stomach.

Last edited:
It's crazy that there's an anouther drug related forum where everybody says it's bad to eat before Xanax, because it lessens the effects.

I don't know what to believe. Maybe the mod guy with the Rick profile picture will help us to see things clear,(sorry I'm bad with names, but you're cool) he's the smart guy around here as I have seen it :D

Might be because in general drugs taken orally work faster if taken on empty stomach and therefore the guys at other forum applied that general knowledge to Xanax too without even knowing what lipophilic substance is and that alprazolam is a lipophilic substance.

Might be because in general drugs taken orally work faster if taken on empty stomach and therefore the guys at other forum applied that general knowledge to Xanax too without even knowing what lipophilic substance is and that alprazolam is a lipophilic substance.

I think that's the answer. Your input is well appreciated.

In my personal experience all benzos work a lot better on an empty stomach, including Xanax. After 30 minutes it should be working, though.

I don't know about the food thing, guys. I know some drugs are like that, mainly anit-psychotics, but every time I ever took benzos with food the effects were greatly lessened. This is purely anadoctal of course.

Food, in my experience, has little effect on benzodiazepine absorption. However, I don't know the actual clinical answer. It probably varies between individuals, and between different benzos. If you take it on an empty stomache and eat an hour later, I think you're fine as it's likely absorbed by then. If you eat before, maybe just a small snack, I think you're fine, maybe even better off, as with some opiates. In my experience, eating after dosing Xanax sort of ' kicked it in' more. Finally, smoking marijuana with Xanax can cause some nice synergy and might make up for any Xanax buzz you may or may not lose from food (IF you smoke, I am not saying start smoking pot).

I don't really see the harm in it, taco. We don't have an official expiration for thread bumping. n00b was browsing, found a relevant (to him/her) thread and commented.

I'm listening though if there's something I missed.

I was wondering the same thing especially since I’m running low or well down to my last two blues. I took a blue 30 mins ago and just happen to have some bacon available. Will let you know if it seemed to make a difference. If you don’t see another reply then it either hurt or had no noticeable effects

people eating bacon to potentiate their benzos.

almost all drugs are nominally better on an empty stomach. it makes even less difference with benzos. enough that i take mine before breakfast, but wouldn’t put off eating. has more to do with framing the day right. like getting some coffee in you right away.

Last edited:
I tend to take my benzos sublingually (under the tongue) anyway. Kicks in harder and faster and presumably bypasses the stomach altogether. And yes alprazolam tastes very bitter, but you come to love it as you get used to it and associate the taste with the effects that you're about to feel. And clonazepam always has a mild minty taste in the pill because it's primarily used for epilepsy and epileptics need to take it sublingually so their seizure stops quickly vs swallowing clonazepam which takes ~40 mins. And diazepam just tastes chalky.

What is that bitterness that is in the alprazolam ?

I most always take xanax sublingually and it effects me immediately, and it gets stronger after that and am usually peak effect still at three hours, or six if I take a whole.

I think all meds for me are stronger without food even alprazolam. Although the xanax is so potent that it still does work really well with food also.

I am sure there are foods that potentiate to help absorption like bacon and grapefruit and grapefruit juice. Xanax is pretty strong so if taken before eating might help a little but it is still going to have that benzo effect. It might even make you have an appetite or feel hungry.

when I was tapering from opioid it helped me when i couldn't eat food that well and it helped me get more of an appetite.

The xanax script i take is so strong when it starts to build up in my metabolism I need alot of energy drinks and coffee to come out of my depressed stupor. But the benefits have been out weighing all of the benzo effects.

I would say taking them without food will definitely make them feel stronger in my personal usage. (ime)

I am still taking benzo now because I am just not used to having pain that is depressing at some times. I only took a 1/4 yesterday but my muscles got pretty soar and i was uncomfortable early this morning and another 1/4 helped my whole body feel better and it took all of my miserable pain away, and yes it was on an empty stomach but that was because I was too miserable and tired to get up and cook. And now I am waking up hours later with an energy drink and sugar, not too healthy but I still have a ways to go.

Yes, those xanax never cease to amaze me. They are always a gift in a crisis to me. I seem to be in love with the benzo since my mind is so focused on the subject. But they are strong and food I doubt will make that much of a difference and would probably be the healthier option to have some healthy nutrition in you, so you could always start with a grapefruit or grapefruit juice.
thanks for letting me vent.

What is that bitterness that is in the alprazolam ?

This is like asking what the sweetness in the sugar is.
Alprazolam is just bitter.

I am sure there are foods that potentiate to help absorption like bacon and grapefruit and grapefruit juice. Xanax is pretty strong so if taken before eating might help a little but it is still going to have that benzo effect. It might even make you have an appetite or feel hungry.

Grapefruit doesn't help absorption, it inhibits enzymes and thus slows the drug from being broken down.