View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How Much Nitrous is Too Much?

Booda

Greenlighter
I discovered whippits about 6 weeks ago and have been binging a bit. I feel like it's starting to catch up with me. I have used anywhere from 4 to 6 boxes of 24 chargers in one session. Is this extreme? I mostly only do them on the weekends and I have been taking plenty of B12 and folic acid. I try to make sure I breathe in between balloons.

I just feel really wiped out after my last couple sessions. I was trying to practice harm reduction, but those little buggers are addictive and I overdid it I guess. Have any of you done this sort of binging? And have you made a full recovery? I feel tired and depressed.

I am usually a health nut and I take good care of myself but I recently went through some difficult times and started taking more risks with my health, including some 6-apb use and the nitrous binges. I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance that I haven't destroyed my health permanently. :/

You should be fine long term. Honestly 4-6 boxes of 24 each is definitely alot. When I used whippets I never ever went over 1 box and even then felt like it was alot. Try to limit yourself and use leas frequently and you should be alright.

I wouldn't say there would be any long term consequences, I've gone on my fair share of whippet binges, doing about three boxes in one sitting, but I've been around people that have done much more. I haven't done any in a while and haven't noticed any lingering side effects, I doubt you will see any either as long as you don't keep doing them at that rate for a prolonged period of time. My advice if you're really worried, take a month or so off, they can be fairly addictive so its good to take prolonged breaks now and then anyway.

I don't get the little ones. Where I'm from you can get a 5ft tall tanks cheap. Completely pure. Things last days even with 5-6 people on one. After a while you can't even feel it anymore really. Lungs feel yucky and you are chasing your high. Nitrous sucks alone, more of a combination thing for me at least. So a few cases isn't going to leave you brain dead, not something to make a habit of though.

Thank you all for your replies. Yeah, I think I'm done with nitrous. I have 3 boxes left but I have no interest in using them and I'll probably toss them. Ironically, I was really only dabbling in these other substances because I'm trying to find a new job and THC stays in your system for so long, so I was avoiding the cannabis for that reason. I would have been so much better off just toking and not doing this other junk.

I can't shake this feeling that I've damaged myself. Hopefully it will pass. :[

4 to 6 packs is way too many thats how you deplete all the oxygen in your brain Like mentioned above stick to a pack in a session/night and enjoy once a month or so be smart and enjoy it nitrous with psychedelics is amazing

It's really the holding your breath that depletes oxygen, not the no2 itself. I've done tonsss of it (4/5 chargers in a cracker hits 90 chargers in a night). And I turned out...meh, actually you probably shouldn't do that much on second thought lolz

It depends how you dose them, too..

Alot of people hyperventilate into a balloon, but that obviously going to starve your brain of oxygen to quite a level..

anyone in the uk doing these? i have only seen them at music fstivals (a balloon for like £3) how do you get the gass out the little metal things and what kind of effect can you expect to experience

excuse the n00b comment

Yeah you should probably limit yourself to 1 or 2 boxes, not 4-6. But there really is no conclusive evidence that nitrous is harmful in the long term. Most medical journals suggest it is quite safe with no chronic risks. Any acute neuronal damage is quickly repaired in the brain, and the only other concern is Olney's Lesions which currently only exist in theory. Your feeling of being wiped out could be a variety of things but probably suggests you ought to take a break or reduce your intake.

To soccertrendy - nitrous canisters are 'cracked' open using a handheld device called a 'cracker' in which the canister is inserted and a pin pokes a hole in the top. When the pin is release, the nitrous come shooting out, preferably into a balloon as aerosol comes out very cold and can give your mouth frostbite if administered directly. At festivals, they usually use a nitrous tank which is the same thing as a helium tank for inflating helium balloons.

^Thanks for your excellent post, Crashing. That's what I've read too but I guess I got a little concerned when I started feeling crappy. Nitrous is quite nice in moderation. I think the key may be to purchase only a box or two and limit yourself to that. If you have 6 boxes--you'll quite possibly find yourself doing all of them like I did.

I also think that it is easier to cause hypoxia than we might expect. Learn from my fail! I've had some odd feelings in my head since the last binge. I'm wondering when or if I will feel normal again. One can only hope...

Btw, it surprises me that nitrous is considered a psychedelic. I never experienced much of anything that I'd call psychedelic, even during those heavy binges. Definitely experienced the sound distortion but that's it. Maybe it's because I've never done acid. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
While nitrous itself is relatively safe, it makes it very easily to become oxygen deprived and this causes a lot of damage which accumulates over time. You should always let one balloon wear off before attempting another and hyperventilating beforehand is advisible too, if it won't make you pass out.

Yeah, the oxygen deprivation is what worries me now too. I never felt like I was passing out and I've even checked my fingers and lips to make sure there wasn't any trace of blue (signs of hypoxia). I felt like I was being careful, but those sessions were 3 or 4 hours long in some cases and involved 4 or 5 boxes usually.

I've been feeling some odd sensations in my head since that last session on Monday night. There have been some dull aches and sharp pains coming from the brain area. It's been 5 days and has not subsided. I may have caused some hypoxia related brain damage. I guess it may be permanent. =[

Hopefully someone will learn from my mistake. Whippits are great--just take it easy on them! It's not worth it to keep chasing that nitrous buzz like I was doing. Your body doesn't always warn you when your oxygen levels are getting dangerously low. I thought I was okay but now it feels like some damage has been done. Do yourself a favor and smoke a bowl instead of messing with large amounts of nitrous. I wish I had.

Perhaps the larger lesson here is not to use substances to escape depression and life problems. I got to a point where I didn't care and was willing to push the limit. I also had an awful experience with 6-apb just a day before my nitrous binge. I used to always have a rule that I wouldn't go too far and burn my bridges with my health. Now I fear that I may have done just that. If you are feeling down, just talk to someone about it and don't use drugs to escape.

well sometimes if you have like 3-4 in a row its known some people pass out, starvs brain of oxygen doesent it?
aha me i always make a big balloon take bits in every now n then, i find i dont always need to take a big hit, little bits somehow make me feel trippy, i only prefre them on xtc though, i feel depressed after if i dont have xtc with them :( haha x

I used to get cases of 800 ordered to a friends house on an almost weekly basis for 2 months. I would usually do half of them, with my friends doing the rest over course of a night. I just loaded up on B12 before and after (im not at all saying thats healthy and doesnt have negative effects.) I was a bit ragged after those (heavy drinking was also involved though) sessions, but havent noticed any long term issues.

^Thank you for that, SPDemon420. That gives me some hope. I also loaded up on B12 and folic acid. My only concern is that I may not have gotten enough oxygen between balloons. I got caught up in chasing the Whipped Cream Dragon, lol. =D

I guess I figured there would be symptoms, like like a sensation of passing out. I never lost consciousness or even felt close to passing out.

^Thank you for that, SPDemon420. That gives me some hope. I also loaded up on B12 and folic acid. My only concern is that I may not have gotten enough oxygen between balloons. I got caught up in chasing the Whipped Cream Dragon, lol. =D

I guess I figured there would be symptoms, like like a sensation of passing out. I never lost consciousness or even felt close to passing out.

You should be alright then (dont quote me on that, but I doubt you'll have an serious long-term problems). I used to pass out regularly for short periods (2-3 seconds) during those binges.