• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How much Concerta/Ritalin should i take, i have a 5 page essay due tomorrow

CannabisCarl

Greenlighter
Ive been on Concerta (18mg Generic Concerta) for ADHD for about 3 months now i have been taking an 18mg pill everyday before school and i noticed that ive become calmer and more focused at first but i dont get that intense focus feeling from 18mg anymore i want to know how much more should i take if i want to be really focused but not uncomfortably "high" for writing papers or even before and exam and if i should snort it or just take more orally ? thanks:)

Don't snort it, Concerta has a time-release mechanism and will probably work less well that way than taking it orally.

Are you asking this question as applied to writing this essay specifically, or about dosing and tolerance in general? If you're just talking about the essay, I take it you're planning on pulling an all-nighter for this? I'm personally not a fan of methylphenidate, but for the stims I do use (mainly (ar)modafinil), if I need to work through the night I'll generally redose in the mid evening with the same dose as I take in the morning. This isn't something to do on a regular basis though, sleep deprivation definitely screws you up no matter how many stimulants you take, affecting your mood, judgement, anxiety levels, executive function, etc... I recall a few studies showed that people who were sleep deprived for only 24 hours actually performed as badly or worse on several criteria as those who were drunk; in other words, definitely NOT something to do before an exam.

If your problem is general tolerance, speak to your doctor about it. Again, I never got on with methlyphenidate, but I suspect he'll up you to 36mg (18mg is fairly low anyway). Side effects do tend to become more noticeable with higher doses, even with a tolerance, so be prepared for that.

Orally, and yeah you're right not to want to get all high....I'd say 1/2 to 1 pill taken as you start to drop off and fall out of the zone. Start loosing productive focus after awhile of good work: Pop half a pill, drink some coffee and/or water and take a little walk or stretch...and get back to it.