• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How many of you are non-drinkers?

Albion

Bluelight Crew
I'm an adamant avoider of virtually all types of alcohol. I like the occasional glass of wine or port since I like the flavour. I don't drink for the psychoactive properties, and everything else just tastes rank to me. For someone who is heavily into drugs, the only drug I actively dislike is the most popular drug of all. I also partly blame my experience with other drugs for my dislike of alcohol.

How many of you (particularly on a drug-centred forum) are also stoic non-drinkers?

DC mods by all means merge this into a bigger thread if one already exists.

Yeah, I relate a lot with you JSPeet.

When I was younger, I loved alchohol. It was the first psychoactive drug I tried, and pretty much upon experiencing my first 40 oz of Colt 45 (and 2 zig zags), I drank almost daily for two years straight. Somewhere down the line I could not handle the hangovers, and though I didn't know it at the time, I think I did develop a slight dependency to it, as I remember feeling extreme anxiety the morning after a night of hard drinking, as well as shaking hands and horrible depression. For some reason I started smoking pot a lot, and pretty much quit drinking for about a year. Then when college came around, I started up again, but it was pretty infrequent, because by that time, I was using heroin and cocaine (so alchohol and weed were last resorts).

In the past few years, I've gotten drunk only about 20 times. I just can't take the hangovers anymore, and I also always end up smoking weed when I drink (and my mind can no longer handle cannabinoids at this point). As far as sedatives go, I prefer benzodiazepine's and GBL far more. I wouldn't be surprised if I never drank again in my life.

Same as me, drank like fish in my early twenties, now I've discovered other, way better things.

The only exception I'll make are really good beers and single malts, turning those down on principle isn't me.

Last edited:
Well... I was a non-drinker until like the end of last year and now I've been drinking every chance I get. Pretty bad and the sad thing is I really don't even like alcohol but I still end up drinking with my friends.

I'm a non drinker/smoker.

I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in over 6 months and haven't been drunk in probably 4-5 years.

Stopped drinking in 2003 & it was one of the best things I ever done........I use to drink to get drunk, there was no hanging out woth friends & drink a few to have fun, nope, I wanted to get plastered & knock on wood, I never got a DUI or more importantly, injured or killed anyone.

I think I have been drunk once my entire life. I love psychedelics, but I hate the way alcohol make me feel; foggy, slow, and unable think straight. I want my mind to be clear and sharp. LSD and DMT make me feels very "clear" as opposed to the swimming dizziness of alcohol.

I also think alcohol is a very messy and gross drug. The smell, the puke, the slurred speech...can't stand the stuff.

I dont drink often I think its a shit drug.

ai used to drink and enjoyed it. I drank from wge 16-23 pretty hard. I too would mix with cigs and pot. I drank to get drunk. Very very dtunk. It was a crutch for a bad depression and an eating disorder -& anxiety.

Then came severe anorexia and bulimia. Alcohol became my enemy. I started using methadone, oxycontin, percs-vicoden. Now a heavy opiate addict with heroin as my DOC. Alcohol is a non option. I simply hate drinking-how it makes me feel, I hate throwing up, and I take benzos regurly. So for my own 'well being'... I just do not drink (at all). I don't even like it anymore.

**edit**
Must add-my older brother is now a recovering alcoholic, like 6 years clean(?). However seeing him plowed, abusive, self destructive and violent-scary!, from (my) age of 6+/- until age 19 was.VERY tough. I still struggle with those memories. Alcoholism is horrifyingly destructive. Addiction does tear families apart.

Last edited:
I quit drinking Jan 1, 2011. I have not had alcohol in a little over a year. I agree with crimson... it really is a shit drug.

I quit to show my mother and my sister it could be done.

It has had absolutely no effect on either on of them. They're both sauced right now.

I feel good about not drinking alcohol just for my own wellbeing and stability, so its worth it.

And who knows, maybe in the future my mom and my sister will stop with the drunken 12 midnight phone calls.

Fuck, who am I kidding??

They are both pickled in alcohol, and my mother... a strong dose of methadone and two bottles of wine.

every night.

Bah... I don't wanna talk about that.

lol well im temporarily quiting alcohol after experiencing an 18 drink hangover today. NOT FUN. On top of puking my guts out last night, I've come to realize I just can't get where I want to be from alcohol anymore, I just keep drinking and drinking thinking I will feel better but it just goes downhill quick lol. Atleast without cocaine.

I drink. In fact, I home brew various wines, meads, etc. I drink because I like the effect and I like the taste of many kinds of alcohol (used to hate it but have grown to like it). Brewing is also an incredibly interesting and fun hobby.

The other thing I like about alcohol is that it's the only drug other than weed and caffeine that I'm comfortable using daily or almost daily. I find it's easy to drink 5/7 days a week or even every day and not become dependent as long as I keep it to one or two drinks a night.

I almost never get very drunk, generally I won't go above 5 or six drinks which will have me a little bit drunk but not very. Only a 2 or 3 times a year will I get really drunk, usually on accident. If I'm trying to get super duper fucked up I'd rather do a dissociative or opiate than alcohol.

All the same, alcohol is one of my favorite drugs. Versatile, interesting stuff. Plus I like that you can get really indepth with it, especially once you start brewing. Certain psychoactives like weed, alcohol and tea have an amazing quantity of varieties as well as a huge community of people who are very knowledgeable about the science and art of producing them. I love that there are 1000s of kinds of alcohol that I can experiment with brewing and drinking. Just like all the strains of pot, it makes it way more fun.

Sounds like a lot of people here don't like alcohol because they try to use it like one would use heroin, just to get fucked up on. Getting super drunk really isn't much fun, and the day after is god damned awful. Really alcohol is best when it's high quality stuff at low to moderate doses. There are other, more fun, less toxic things to get smashed on.

Last edited:
I have a beer out of common courtesy once in a while but other then that even when going out with friends I don't drink.

Way more fun drugs out there haha. I also had an alcoholic father growing up so I guess I have a natural resentment to it.

Alcohol is tricky. It really sucks compared to other drugs but its cheap, available and regulated.

That being said, I drink on a regular basis. It wasn't the first drug I tried though...

To be honest, in the brief time period between first getting drunk (17) and first trying coke, pills, 4-MMC etc (18 ), I absolutely loved getting smashed with friends and at parties, but as I was introduced these crazy euphoric stimulants my opinion of alcohol as a high just plummeted quickly, and I think becoming aware of this served to turn my natural opinion of 'alcohol's okay' to 'alcohol's fucking horrible & binge drinking is moronic'. 2 years ago I was a complete drugs idoliser and argued the case for social acceptance of all recreational drug use except alcohol...

...Since then I've learned to shut up and reassess my views. My opinion of alcohol has levelled out and my view of the merits of other drugs entirely depends on the drug and how it gets used. I still don't drink, and I'm still pretty serious about not-drinking partly due to the health benefits (I kinda pray all the other drugs I take aren't any more damaging than alcohol alone), and partly because I only really drank for a year, which probably wasn't enough time for the ritual of drinking to plant its behavioural roots...

I was introduced these crazy euphoric stimulants my opinion of alcohol as a high just plummeted quickly

Ah yes, opiates and weed pretty much tore me away from alcohol. I rarely if ever drink anymore I just would rather do some other drug.

As one of the only drinkers that has responded, I also think it's interesting that a lot of people stopped drinking when they tried other drugs.

When I first started drinking I had already done weed, opiates, nitrous oxide, benzos and DXM. So I was decently versed in some of the more seriously euphoric drugs before I had tried alcohol. I always choose to use drugs other than alcohol for getting really high, even though I drink more than I do any other drugs other than weed and caffeine. Binging on alcohol has never appealed to me much.

I have a very strange relationship with alcohol. Firstly I hate it- I hate it because of its effects (it makes me even more of a reckless/thoughtless/sadistic/nilihilist cunt than I when I'm sober), I hate it because of its side effects (only started getting proper hangovers when I was 19, only started getting real-kill-yourself hangovers in my early 20s despite, overall, drinking less), I hate the culture that surrounds it-> if you think binge drinking in Britian, the USA and Canada are bad- it pales it comparision here. There are bars that serve until 6-7am, people in NZ only GO OUT at about 11pm-1am, usually after a solid 2-3 hours drinking at home. I mean alcoholics are alcoholics and NZ alcoholics are more of the same, but the binge drinking is fucked...I know men and women who are really intelligent, articulate, witty, observant and analytical people who are capable of drinking 100+ standard drinks (1.2 European Standard Drink = 1 NZ standard drink too, I'm talking the equivilant of 9-12 bottles of wine without loss of consciousness (complete anmnesia blackout trainwreck, but still functioning enough to keep buying drinks). That's like a chipper who, although no physically dependant on heroin, still needs 250mg of pure (homebake) heroin to catch a nod....it's just fucked.

Yet I started drinking very early, to be perfectly honest, I was one of the above mentioned chronic binge drinkers- I could drink 2.5-4 bottles of spirits by myself by the time I was 17. As I also was heavily abusing opiates and muscle relaxants at the time (making me even more of a fucking shambolic mess when I did get OTP), by the time I did my final round of exams I was opiate dependant and a highly functioning alcoholic (who drunk 3-4.5L 10% wine a day).Yet I got clean off the opiates, went to university, moderated my drinking at first and then after a certain point (about 1.5 years into my degree) I just said fuck it and went back to my alcoholic ways, though heavily toned down due to my integration into a beer drinking group (drinking a 24 pack a day is bad, but it as as bad as draining a goon sack every fucking day) but the behaviour was basically the same. I have quite serious anger control problems that I do a really good job at managing- most people consider me anxious, but laid back...not as explosively violent- but that all goes out the window when I drink. I got beaten up a bunch of times, I beat up a bunch of people, I was banned from bars, fuck I threw up in the icebucket behind the bar and then got in a fight with the bouncer who told me to leave. Inside teh bar. I can fight, I've boxed much of my life, but I'm a middle weight, these days, probably lighter but these were two fucking huge islander super heavy weights, one of whom was obviously on meth, in a dark, enclosed environment, with double vision, I decided that I could take these guys and preemtively bashed one with a barstool before being dragged out and having the shit kicked out of me in the parking lot. Didn't feel a thing, went to burger king who refused me service because I was bleeding on their floor.

So yeah, I got really into my drinking. Then I just quit. I took acid with a mate of mine, we were planning to trip out at his place as his flatmate was out at some party- then the party shows up. It was the first time I had seen people who drank like me while on acid...it was disgusting. It reminded me of the 'specials needs' kids at my primary schools, drooling and slurring and craining their necks, writhing, speaking in this mongoloid version of English. I never drunk 'for teh taste' or any of that shit, I drunk to get FUCKED UP BOYEEE and about half way through my second year I stopped getting wasted, which pretty much = I stopped drinking completely. My only 'relapse' (if you could call it that as I never intentionally quit as such, I just stopped and have no intention/desire to ever get drunk again) was when I briefly was sleeping with a very high-functioning alcoholic- didn't realise until I took a sip of her morning glass of gingerbeer the first night I slept over to cure my morning dry mouth and gagged from the amount of whiskey in it (and my favoured spirit is/was bourbon, so I like the dark spirits). But that only lasted like a month or so, mainly because she was a drunk anmd I was a stoner.

I think I may well have just replaced my excessive alcohol intake with excessive cannabis intake (which I enjoy much more than alcohol and has fewer physical side effects- not necessarily from a health point of view, but weed ain't never made me piss blood or vomit bile is all I'm saying) which I have gradually moderated over the last 5 years or so to what I deem to be a 'managable' level. I ain't stoned all the time, but I get stoned most days and if I do get stoned I'm probably gonna smoke anywhere from 3-8 huge 0.5g spliffs and make an evening of it with a few friends. So I suppose I just have displaced my alcohol abuse with cannabis abuse....but fuck man, you have no idea how much better I am for it. So I stare at walls way too much than is probably healthy, but it's better than being in prison because I did something completely fucking mental while drunk.

I really can't emphisise how destructive the effects of alcohol are- I mean, I've taken PCP, I've abused the shit out of Ketamine, I fucking overdosed on DXM (or 'plateau sigma' if you're a sadomasocist), I once took over 150mg of zopiclone in one sitting, I've used a torch to protect myself from DPH spiders but seriously, the top 100 stupid things I've done in my life have been 90% alcohol related. If I had not made the decision to stop drinking when I was in my early 20s and completely lose the tolerance, stomach or inclination to drink I reckon that there would be a good 80-95% chance that I would be in prison over some shit.

Hell, pretty much everyone that I know who has been done for possession of anything has only been searched because they were spotted doing something stupid while drunk in a public place.

Alcohol is an evil drug. I mean, this may seem completely delusional coming from a junkie (and smoker ;)), but alcohol is one of the very, very few drugs that I believe is truely evil. PCP is dangerous in the wrong hands, morphine is a horribly addictive drug, but that is more a reflection on the user than the drug. The only positive effects og alcohol are replicated by benzos/barbs, the main effect of alcohol is to make otherwise intelligent people appear and behave as if they were mentally retarded. PCP may mimic schitzophrenia to some extent- but being schitzophrenic for 12 hours is interesting, being braindamaged for 12 hours is not.

I've only gotten drunk a few times in my life, and probably drank something alcoholic maybe only 20 or so times.

The times I did get drunk, I mean totally smashed. Never got a hangover or puked though.

I just don't like alcohol. Or weed for that matter since it gives me huge waves of motion sickness and I've thrown up on weed several times.

I'm pretty sure I've saved tons of money by not enjoying either.

The times I did get drunk, I mean totally smashed. Never got a hangover or puked though.

I've always considered 'smashed' a borderline term for on drinking to the edge of control.

I've only once got to the point of uncontrollable passing out, covering yourself in black puke and lying poisoned on the floor and that was the first time I ever got drunk.

I've never ever come across another drug that will make every corner of your body feel so poisoned if you over do it.