• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How long until I can do heroin without again getting withdrawals?

get high

Bluelighter
Hello I was wondering how long does it take before you can start heroin again without going into full blown withdrawals which I was experiencing before. So I've been clean for 7 days. Last time I quit I relapsed 2 weeks after, and right after the first time I used I went back into withdrawals. So how long does it take until I can actually use heroin and not get withdrawals? I'm planning on using once an day, then stopping for a day so I never have to experience the horrible withdrawals I had before. Anyone with experience with this? Thanks! and for your information I've been using heavily everyday for 7 months. I've been clean thanks to kratom! It's a miracle drug, totally helps with withdrawals. Anyway I want to use again, but I don't want to have to rely on heroin and get withdrawals. So when can I start using again, and not go into withdrawal after. I've been 7 days clean. Thanks!

Heroin/opiate withdrawal does not get any better the more times you have been through it!

The fact you have already been opiate dependency in the past means you need to be extra careful and vigilant because dependency and withdrawal symptoms will occur a lot sooner than say someone who is opiate naive.

I'd recommend spacing out the times you are using and not using on consecutive days. If you have the self-control and willpower to do so!

My honeymoon period with H has long gone and I found myself getting WDs even after one session of heavy use. Now I'm on methadone maintenance!

Well done for getting clean... As long as you know what you're dealing with... Take care!

The harsh truth is that you should not take H again whatsoever or you will get WDs again very soon (~after using for 2-3days).
After being addicted it only takes a few times to be hooked again.

This planning on using only one day won't happen. I've been there multiple times and it always lead to longer periods of consuming and withdrawls.
It is an illusion to think you could control your use after being addicted. Just try to stay abstinent from opis or it will just get worse and worse.

Also if you have been taking Kratom, you were not clean. Kratom is an opioid, much weaker than H but still. After quitting Kratom you get WDs too.

Honestly man the best answer to this question is never. I remember I asked the same thing 6 years ago after my first time detoxing and 6 years later I am still on suboxone.

Basically I've been on and off heroin for years. I've never been able to get clean and successfully just occasionally use heroin. After you've been addicted once it's incredibly easy to become physically dependent on it again. Literally a few days in a row of usage and you're back the square one, and it only gets worse every time you relapse.

If I could go back in time to my first time detoxing I would never use heroin again afterwards. Here I am now having been addicted to opiates for over half a decade, literally my entire adult life and it's incredibly hard for me to get off the suboxone I've been taking for years.

Not the answer you wanna hear but trust me your best off just staying away from it altogether. Trust me I would know...

Heroin detox is nothing compared to subs. When I first started, I did not know anything bout withdrawals. I used for a year straight, spending thousands a month and caught a charge. Spent the night there and really didn't think bout anything but the charge. Anyways, long story short, I went thru it many times as random drug test was given during probation but they were letters sent home with a 6 days grace period so I just quit using and dealt with the sickness which was only no sleep, no eat and hot and cold sweats. I then found out about subs and it wasn't showing up on probation test since they did simple 5 panel but was strict enough to have a guy stand there holding the cup for you to make sure you're not pissing fake. Anyways fast forward 8 years later, 5 years on subs now. Tried detoxing from subs, didn't get sick for the first 3 days and then it starts slowly and within 4th day, it's really bad! Shit man, the only thing that bothers me is the restless leg. The other shit is cake! Now hearing the withdrawals lasts for months upon months, I think I'm hooked for life....

Honestly man the best answer to this question is never. I remember I asked the same thing 6 years ago after my first time detoxing and 6 years later I am still on suboxone.

Basically I've been on and off heroin for years. I've never been able to get clean and successfully just occasionally use heroin. After you've been addicted once it's incredibly easy to become physically dependent on it again. Literally a few days in a row of usage and you're back the square one, and it only gets worse every time you relapse.

If I could go back in time to my first time detoxing I would never use heroin again afterwards. Here I am now having been addicted to opiates for over half a decade, literally my entire adult life and it's incredibly hard for me to get off the suboxone I've been taking for years.

Not the answer you wanna hear but trust me your best off just staying away from it altogether. Trust me I would know...

The only way I've ever been able to chip for a significant period of time after a dependence is to wait at least a month after quitting all opioids (including kratom) and use a lesser amount of a weaker opioid (such as hydrocodone) that doesn't jack your tolerance back up like dope. H just seems too strong and widely available to be able to use occasionally for the vast majority. Good luck!

Heroin detox is nothing compared to subs. When I first started, I did not know anything bout withdrawals. I used for a year straight, spending thousands a month and caught a charge. Spent the night there and really didn't think bout anything but the charge. Anyways, long story short, I went thru it many times as random drug test was given during probation but they were letters sent home with a 6 days grace period so I just quit using and dealt with the sickness which was only no sleep, no eat and hot and cold sweats. I then found out about subs and it wasn't showing up on probation test since they did simple 5 panel but was strict enough to have a guy stand there holding the cup for you to make sure you're not pissing fake. Anyways fast forward 8 years later, 5 years on subs now. Tried detoxing from subs, didn't get sick for the first 3 days and then it starts slowly and within 4th day, it's really bad! Shit man, the only thing that bothers me is the restless leg. The other shit is cake! Now hearing the withdrawals lasts for months upon months, I think I'm hooked for life....
Yes suboxone withdrawal sucks and I agree the worst part is the restless legs. It just lasts too damn long. Sometimes I wish I had just done cold turkey from the H. But heroin withdrawal is a lot more intense. It's pretty much over after 6 or 7 days though, sub withdrawal literally lasts weeks. I've never been able to make it through without either relapsing on heroin or just going back on suboxone....

Thanks for all the information! I'm really disappointed I can't use without going back into withdrawals :/ Ive heard about people who use for 2 days then stop for 2 days and they never get withdrawals, which was my plan but it doesn't seem like that is possible because I'm already dependent on heroin? This sucks so bad. I've tried every drug there is just about, and H is one I love, then amphs. But when I take amphetamine the comedown is horrible and H helps take that away. Anyway thanks for the info. I chose not to use subs for the reasons you guys are taking about. Try Kratom next time trying to quit! It's helped me so much.

Last edited:
Yes suboxone withdrawal sucks [...] sub withdrawal literally lasts weeks.

It strongly depends on the time using and the dose you took as well as the taper and from how much you jumped off.
When I withdrawed from ~0,5mg after tapering down to that dose the acute WD was also over after one week.

So it is all in the hands of the addict. If you jump off 8mg after being on that dose for more than a year or even longer you will be in a world of hurt for a long time. But it can be done relatively manageable after a short time on subs with a gradual taper.

You cant just generalize it like "Sub WD is so much worse than H WD" because it isnt if you do it right. It still sucks but with a right taper it is much easier to come off subs without relapsing, than it is with H due to the longer half-life and it being only a partial agonist.

It strongly depends on the time using and the dose you took as well as the taper and from how much you jumped off.
When I withdrawed from ~0,5mg after tapering down to that dose the acute WD was also over after one week.

So it is all in the hands of the addict. If you jump off 8mg after being on that dose for more than a year or even longer you will be in a world of hurt for a long time. But it can be done relatively manageable after a short time on subs with a gradual taper.

You cant just generalize it like "Sub WD is so much worse than H WD" because it isnt if you do it right. It still sucks but with a right taper it is much easier to come off subs without relapsing, than it is with H due to the longer half-life and it being only a partial agonist.
Yeah I've never tried jumping off from a large dose. My main problem is I've been on it for a very long time. Even if I taper to .25 every other day the withdrawal still lasts weeks. I've never even made it all the way through because of the duration. Last time i quit i was taking about .25 every other day and I gave up after 2 weeks with pretty much no sleep.

I never said suboxone WD is way worse than heroin. It certainly lasts longer but it isn't nearly as intense as coming off of heroin. It's more like methadone WD which also sucks because of the duration.

You can taper all you want but after you've been on sub for more than a couple months you pretty much are guaranteed 2 weeks+ of withdrawal and while it isn't as uncomfortable as full agonist H WD it's definitely something people should take into account.

It's different for everyone and just because you were through acute withdraWal in a week doesn't mean everyone will be coming off >.5 mg a day. If I jumped off half a mg I'd probably be sick for 3 weeks, but I've been on suboxone on and off for 5 years.