• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How long have you been using cannabis?

How long have you been a user of cannabis?

• I don't use cannabis

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • 0 - 1 year

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • 2 - 4 years

Votes: 227 36.4%
  • 5 - 9 years

Votes: 194 31.1%
  • 10 - 19 years

Votes: 69 11.1%
  • 20 or more years

Votes: 36 5.8%

• Total voters
4.5 Years in total, but 3 years daily, multiple times daily.

just turned 19 yesterday, been smoking since I was 13, daily with breaks since 16.

oldhead said:
As my name suggest I am an oldhead. I have been smoking weed for 38 years. Two-three joints a day in my twenties, one a day in my thirties, about a half joint in my forties and now in early fifties I do two-three hits of really dank weed a day. Use a vaporizer now and really get a great high I can handle at my age.

You're my hero. I want to age like you. %)

I started when I was 18, and I turn 29 in 2 months, so almost 11 years. Wow. Like wonderflosity I've gone through some distinct phases in my marijuana use. I've gone without it for as long as 10 months on two occasions. I've used it daily for years on others. Sometimes I'll take a shine to a certain method of smoking and use it alone for months. There were times when I got all of the worst effects from it every time and wanted to quit it, but could't say no if somebody passed me a bowl. There were times it held me together.

props to those who voted for 20+ ..
I only started smoking recently about a year or more.

I am shpongled, I agree. I remember reading a textbook for a beginning pharmacology course at a college, which talked about usage patterns for each psychoactive drug. The chapter on cannabis contained something to the effect of, 'Western societies show a markedly different pattern of cannabis use than most other peoples who have historically used it ... Very few Westerners continue to use cannabis for more than ten years.'

This survey would seem to support this conclusion.

i've always kinda hoped to see myself as a green thumbed old grandpa, living in a vast rural area, still enjoying the smoke every now and then
edit: oh and with one of those long ass old guy beards, down to my chest, that'd be pretty cool too hah

^ Love the username.

Seven years. First two years I smoked when I could get it. Now because it's so easy to find I consider myself a heavy smoker. It's very rare I go a day without smoking a few bongs. Yum.

7 years sounds like such a long time, for some reason. Mostly because just about everyone I know would fit into the first category. I remember when I was 15 I smoked with my younger cousin for the first time. It was absolute craziness.

Last edited:
nealcassady said:
i've always kinda hoped to see myself as a green thumbed old grandpa, living in a vast rural area, still enjoying the smoke every now and then
edit: oh and with one of those long ass old guy beards, down to my chest, that'd be pretty cool too hah

Dude, e-mail me on your 70th birthday. If I'm still around and reachable, I will travel to wherever you are and smoke with you.

^^ agree.

I smoked a few times now and then first years years of high school, then kind of became a pillhead for awhile. I was basically the most anti-pot smoker ever because I was deathly afraid to smoke it. Then last summer my old roommate changed my life by getting me to understand to joy of green: I came home one night from work to see him, [note, he is a really funny, cool as hell guy, with long frizzy red hair; he's about 5'3", and weighs about 250-260. Trust me. The description helps.] sitting on the couch in his boxers with a blanket wrapped around his stomach, without actually covering anything. He was more stoned than I had ever seen him, and he was staring at the TV while holding in his arms a bong made out of a gallon milk jug.
I hit the bong and became a daily smoker because of that night.
Now I make extra money on the side from selling brownies and cookies, and preach the gospel of Mary Jane to everyone I know. :] And I have no one to thank but my old roommate.

First got stoned on pot in 1965, so that makes ...?
Heavy user for a year or two and then hit times of no dope.
In the intervening years have not used heavily. Nowadays just do the occasional joint when coming down from a roll.

21 years and counting, although to be fair it's pretty infrequent now....