• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How is Kratom as a painkiller?

Slow_Mobius

Bluelight Crew
I did some browsing on the Kratom megathread, and I see a lot of comparisons to tramadol. I already kicked tramadol because the withdrawals were completely energy sapping and I can't deal with that crap with how busy I am. However, a lot of people mentioned withdrawals as being pretty tame and mostly just feeling uncomfortable with RLS and unpleasant skin sensations

My question is how would you compare it's effectiveness as a pain killer to other opiods? And are there any strains that are more sedating? I see a lot of people mentioning a speedy effect. Thanks

Kratom could be compared to a medium dose of caffeine and medium dose of a low strength opiate. If you take too much you are probably going to end up feeling wired and jittery but if you stick to low doses of Bali it's pretty sedating. I never used tramadol or kratom for pain but kratom seemed to help me with any small pains I had at the time more then tramadol.

Kratom is a very effective painkiller IME. Earlier this year I had some dental work done and was prescribed 5/325 norcos (hydrocodone) - four of them couldn't even kill the pain as well as 8-10 grams of plain leaf Bali.

I should mention that I was dependent on kratom (by far the most (or only) manageable addiction I've ever had) at the time. I'm not sure if that would influence hydrocodone's effectiveness on me but I figure it's worth disclosing.

I also want to mention that while you are correct that kratom withdrawal is, for the most part, relatively tame compared to most other opioids, it is absolutely no walk in the park. The physical symptoms may be less intense (still very real), but the depression and anxiety I experience are nearly, if not just as bad as oxy/opana/heroin. Someone with no other experience with opioid withdrawal (I know you do OP, this is just for the sake of argument) would almost certainly find kratom withdrawal to be a nightmare.

Anyways, be safe and take care man.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm trying to do my due diligence in finding something to help manage my pain without ending up on the dark side. Thank god I didn't go balls deep on opiates without doing some prior research. I had no idea so many people with addiction habits started with a prescription to help manage their pain.

Is your pain constant? I wouldnt recommend it for constant CPP's. Its very hard to maintain a stable amount in your system. For occassional pain (even if needed every day) it might work great for you.

Its definitely worth checking out.

I get some fairly bad knee pain about twice a year for a few weeks (not sure why), and this past time I used kratom for it occasionally. Certainly did the trick.

Is your pain constant? I wouldnt recommend it for constant CPP's. Its very hard to maintain a stable amount in your system. For occassional pain (even if needed every day) it might work great for you.

Its definitely worth checking out.

Mainly for pain caused by muscle spasms that get worse as the day goes on (pretty bad every day, some worse than others though). Right now I'm taking 5-10 mg oxy about every other night, and I'm looking into Kratom as a less addictive substitute. I also have insomnia though, so if it's stimulating then it's probably a no go. Really I just need something to take the edge off so I can sleep (already tried every sleeping pill OTC and that docs will give me).

Kratom is a fantastic pain killer..it's better than vicoden and OxyContin imo..I have chronic back pain and it's gone after taking kratom..oxy just use to put so dent into it..I'm shocked how strong kratoms pain relief properties

Kratom is a fantastic pain killer..it's better than vicoden and OxyContin imo..I have chronic back pain and it's gone after taking kratom..oxy just use to put so dent into it..I'm shocked how strong kratoms pain relief properties

What kind of strain/preparation do you use?

strain doesn't really matter too much, the stimulating adrenergic compounds will also help to kill pain (NE release) as well as the opioid effects

and in my days of using kratom & looking at it with GC I never really noticed too much of a difference between various strains in terms of the alkaloid composition... so the differnce between strains could very well be in your head???

Last edited:
so the differnce between strains could very well be in your head???

It seems to be that way. When I tried 5 grams of mang da it seemed almost exactly the same as 5 grams of Bali, except the Bali was half the price. I would highly recommend Bali, if you have a good vendor then Bali should be on par with the most other strains for a fraction of the price.

strain doesn't really matter too much, the stimulating adrenergic compounds will also help to kill pain (NE release) as well as the opioid effects

and in my days of using kratom & looking at it with GC I never really noticed too much of a difference between various strains in terms of the alkaloid composition... so the differnce between strains could very well be in your head???

I've always wondered how much of a placebo effect is at play. Did your lab publish anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have no tolerance, it's unbelievable. When I first started using kratom I could barely even feel pain on it. I had some medical issues at the time which caused severe pain, like worse than anything I could've imagined before, and kratom made it pretty manageable. Better than oxy in my experience.