How Has Your Approach to Training and Body Goals Changed Over Time?

david012

Greenlighter
Joined
Jul 13, 2026
Messages
2
A lot of people start training with a specific goal in mind — gaining size, improving strength, changing body composition, competing, or simply feeling better physically. Over time, priorities often change as people learn more about recovery, nutrition, injury prevention, and realistic expectations.

I’m interested in hearing how your approach has evolved:

  • What was your original fitness goal, and has it changed?
  • What training habits have made the biggest difference for you?
  • What mistakes did you make early on that you would avoid now?
  • How do you balance progress with long-term health?
  • What role have things like sleep, diet, stress management, and consistency played in your results?
 
i went from being very physical to being more mental - in every sense.

the body breaks down leaving room for non physical explorations. just a flippant take

i obtained a weight set and tend to find a balance; although this body can only take so much these days. i feel i know my physical boundaries at time point. i better. 🤕
 
I lay in my bed and starve ^.^
i can and do this
just up bnz dosages and bam weight loss and bed ridden as i am now. well, not in bed but on mat > floor > pillows > sitting up typing.
colud easily lay down and nap for a few hours. lulls
rather fuck wit da fam atm if thats okay

:ions:
 
Original fitness goal was obtaining quality muscle mass and I think I'm pretty close with where I'd like to be over the last 12 yrs or so.

Training habits that have been vital for me include prioritizing consecutive days off/deload periods and taking more time out of the year for heavy but less frequent training. I've grown away from "pain is weakness leaving the body" mentality with age and maturity and subsequent quality of life impacts due to pain lol.

Mistakes I made early on include: dosing way too high on gear, neglecting diet and rest, and overall trading quality of life is for the "grind hard" mentality.

Progress vs long term health is an interesting one. I made very rapid progress from 2017 to 2022 I'd say. Have since focused more on low to moderate dosing, rest and recovery, and not being fucking stupid with intensity (1000lb leg press days are long over, my knees hate me for weeks after that). If I don't want to go to the gym, I don't. I don't lose sleep for gym time anymore. I don't go to the gym on vacation anymore. I eat what I want on trips.

Early on managing stress, diet, sleep, etc meant more stimulants and more gear. Now it's taking time off when I feel worn down, if sleep has been poor or I've been neglecting hobbies and my mental health is lacking I'll also skip the gym for the hobby and eat comfort food on occasion. I'm not a competitor, I don't get paid for this lifestyle, so I'm gonna live my life like an amateur.
 
Top