• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How harmful is low dose oral methamphetamine?

Sandofthematrix

Greenlighter
Swim has been taking some meth to help him study at night and started to wonder how bad it was for him.

Swim has taken about 100mg orally within the past 14 days.
Swim has taken a maximum of 20mg within 12 hours.
Swim doses 5-10mg every few hours during the night until daytime, sometimes 2 nights in a row.
Swim is 130lbs and relatively young.
Swim has been doing his best to reduce harm by eating healthy and taking magnesium supplements.
The meth is supposedly "high quality". However, assume the worst.

So basically swim is wondering what kind of negative effects this dosage might have on him, (worse case scenario). Could there be any significant amount of neurotoxicity? Is this dosage sufficient to cause tissue damage? Could any tolerance or addiction be expected if this pattern is continued?

Any studies or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

No SWIM please.

100 milligrams in 14 days is actually a pretty low dose and the fact that your taking it orally is a good thing. Pharmaceutical methamphetamine (Desoxyn) which can be assumed is of a much higher purity is at times prescribed in higher doses than what you've mentioned.

If your eating right, sleeping right, supplementing right and you don't feel overstimulated then the neurotoxicity, addiction, and tolerance should be kept to a minimal. What I would advise though is since your attempting to take it therapeutically then do so in 2 divided doses.

swim said that it was just you taking these drugs and you're using him as a scapegoat, he's not impressed...

as chloro said, the doses you are taking are well within the theraputic range of dosing, and if you manage to keep it at that level then you will be able to use methamphetamine positively as a study aid. it is used for that reason pharamcutically - but you have to beware that the stuff you're taking from the streets is likely impure and won't be as effective.

the thing is, methamphetamine is very neurotoxic at higher doses, but at the range you're taking them it is not. however it could be cut with many other substances that are very damaging to your cardiovascular system or your brain.

have you considered going to a psychiatrist and having your condition looked at?

Do you really need to use methamphetamine in place of coffee? It seems like way too much risk if you aren't even using it to get high.

Do you really need to use methamphetamine in place of coffee? It seems like way too much risk if you aren't even using it to get high.

"Hmm, coffee is getting weaker, maybe ill try meth" Lol, terrible decision

Relevant study that just popped up in DitM here, there's a good chance you're not gaining any measurable benefit over caffeine, and running a risk of much greater harm/addiction. Just something to think about.

(But as said before, doses that low are within the therapeutic range)

No SWIM please.
As you wish. sorry people, im new.

About using Meth in place of Caffeine...
No, I should have been more clear as to why I'm using it.
For (one), I'm very depressed which makes it hard to (two), focus on work.
I've been using it to motivate myself, as well as focus, and to stay awake.

Also, I should probably mention that the meth is cut with 200mg of caffeine.
I don't plan on doing this long term either.

^ Be careful, using it to study is one thing, and using it as an aid for grief is another, make sure you draw a clear line.

Have you considered seeing a doctor or psychotherapist who could prescribe you pharmaceutical grade amphetamine, such as dexedrine, adderall or Ritalin? It would be so much safer in terms of you know what's in it, and you'll also be monitored as to how you're dosing so you don't go off the rails one day and take a shitload to get high which is very tempting. If you're suffering from depression they may augment the treatment with an SSRI. Have you been to a psyciatrist before or been on any meds? I don't think what you're doing is wrong so to say, but it is really dancing with the devil and playing with fire.

Imo the psychiatrist is just gonna try to push an SSRI on you, unless you find one more open who will prescribe amphetamines.
I agree with above posters, i totally understand how meth makes you happier and more motivated to study but this has a high chance to lead down a bad path.
Pretty soon instead of using it to study for exams you'll use it to get home work and assignments done. Meth makes you extremely tired the next day, or mentally slow. So if you use it for the exam, then next day you have assignments due. Won't it feel cruddy doing assignments on a slower brain?

I'm not saying you will become an addict for sure, it's just meth is a very slippery drug.

I am that guy.

I'd like some crystal, we don't have it here, just powder meth.

Eh, I'd love to see a psychiatrist :D
It's not really an option though...
As F1n1shed said, if I do see one they will probably suck and just put me on an SSRI. Which I don't really think is effective or good for your health. (ha neither is meth) I'm not a very good manipulator either so I couldn't convince them to prescribe me anything I wanted. Actually, I've never even been to a doc more than a few times in my life. So I simply wouldn't know how to go about it.

Anyway... I definitely understand the dangers of what I'm doing. But as of now I have it under control. 5-10mg has been doing it's job wonderfully. I can study all night and find material that otherwise bores the hell out of me interesting. There also is no crash the following day. Actually there is the opposite of a crash. My depression is absent for the rest day and I still have perfect mental clarity despite having not slept for a night. I get a good sleep the night after I took it and feel the same as usual in the morning. (depressed again, but still clear mind)

As for taking more to get high, I really have no desire to. Like everyone has said, meth use is indeed a slippery slope. Taking more than 10mg at a time scares me shitless, so I wouldn't try it. If I want to get high I'll smoke some weed... or occasionally take Vicodin.
However I have noticed that while I do not want to take a higher dose. I have been wanting to keep using it. Probably not a good sign right?

Anyway to stay on topic...
I have now taken around 200mg within 16 days.
I think I messed up my first log so don't worry, I haven't taken 100 more mg in 2 days.
I have however upped my dosage and might have taken 30mg within 24 hours.

Anyway is this still considered low?
And also I was wondering if this amount is enough to cause weight loss because I am nearly underweight as is.

Eh, I'd love to see a psychiatrist :D
It's not really an option though...
As F1n1shed said, if I do see one they will probably suck and just put me on an SSRI. Which I don't really think is effective or good for your health. (ha neither is meth) I'm not a very good manipulator either so I couldn't convince them to prescribe me anything I wanted. Actually, I've never even been to a doc more than a few times in my life. So I simply wouldn't know how to go about it.

Anyway... I definitely understand the dangers of what I'm doing. But as of now I have it under control. 5-10mg has been doing it's job wonderfully. I can study all night and find material that otherwise bores the hell out of me interesting. There also is no crash the following day. Actually there is the opposite of a crash. My depression is absent for the rest day and I still have perfect mental clarity despite having not slept for a night. I get a good sleep the night after I took it and feel the same as usual in the morning. (depressed again, but still clear mind)

As for taking more to get high, I really have no desire to. Like everyone has said, meth use is indeed a slippery slope. Taking more than 10mg at a time scares me shitless, so I wouldn't try it. If I want to get high I'll smoke some weed... or occasionally take Vicodin.
However I have noticed that while I do not want to take a higher dose. I have been wanting to keep using it. Probably not a good sign right?

Anyway to stay on topic...
I have now taken around 200mg within 16 days.
I think I messed up my first log so don't worry, I haven't taken 100 more mg in 2 days.
I have however upped my dosage and might have taken 30mg within 24 hours.

Anyway is this still considered low?
And also I was wondering if this amount is enough to cause weight loss because I am nearly underweight as is.

Listen dude, I'm going to tell you right now you are on a path to certain disaster.

Using meth to get out of a depression.... TERRIBLE idea. Absolutely a horrible idea. Stop using meth, it's not what you need, regardless of the focus problems. Either get the damn courage to see a doctor and talk about your problems or take natural supplements to help you focus. Meth is NOT the answer. The toxicity of meth is bad (even though you're dosing low) and it's going to build in your system regardless of your dosage.

Just wait until you stop using after your current use. Have fun with 10x the amount of depression you had before.

I'm not trying to be a dick but you went to such an extreme solution for your problem, and not at all the right one. Meth isn't a good study aid, I don't care what anyone else says. It's fucking meth. The duration is wicked long and the tax on your health is far worse than any stimulant a doctor would prescribe you.

Well if anyone is interested in the turnout...

I stopped the 6th at around 200mg total. Once I was off it for about 12 hours I got increasingly depressed until I could hardly take it anymore, (pretty much suicidal). I took some opiates and felt a little better, fell asleep, felt fine the next day. Anyway everything is back to normal now. It worked well and kept me up, helped me focus. However as many people said including hatrix, it's a pretty extreme solution that's probably not worth it. I definitely wouldn't ever do it again.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Keep discussing too please!

Does anyone know of any particularly harmful aspect of meth? etc...etc...

Well if anyone is interested in the turnout...

I stopped the 6th at around 200mg total. Once I was off it for about 12 hours I got increasingly depressed until I could hardly take it anymore, (pretty much suicidal). I took some opiates and felt a little better, fell asleep, felt fine the next day. Anyway everything is back to normal now. It worked well and kept me up, helped me focus. However as many people said including hatrix, it's a pretty extreme solution that's probably not worth it. I definitely wouldn't ever do it again.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Keep discussing too please!

Does anyone know of any particularly harmful aspect of meth? etc...etc...

Awesome congrats man. Now, since you've said that., you've got proof that you're getting addicted if you buy it again