• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox How do IP rehabs deal with benzo detox?

blockbusterparty

Bluelighter
Was wondering if anyone knew this. Not that I’m about to go to rehab right now but…I’ve gotten myself in a mess where I am physically dependent on soma. Maybe around 1500 or slightly less a day. And I think soma is pretty similar to benzos which I have become physically dependent on previously, just because I took them as prescribed.

In the past, I have tapered myself off up to 2mg of clonazepam (sometimes less) very very slowly and over a long period of time. Even then I could certainly feel the withdrawal. This was with taking a .5 mg clonazepam and cutting it into 4 pieces and then slowly taking away one piece. Yikes!!!

I was wondering if anyone had experience going off benzos (or soma) in rehab and how they deal
With this.
Is there medication they gave that helps with withdrawal?

more I could say about my experiences withdrawing, and I realize rehabs are all
Different but I’d really love to hear your knowledge and experiences. Thanks.

Yeah I’ve set up taper plans before. I was just wondering how they handled it IP.
They get a doctor to set it up for you
Taper plan at mine was meds at 8am, midday, 4pm and 10pm iirc. Expect ques.
Alot of people used to get there 20 mins early in the morn to race for first in line

They get a doctor to set it up for you
Taper plan at mine was meds at 8am, midday, 4pm and 10pm iirc. Expect ques.
Alot of people used to get there 20 mins early in the morn to race for first in line
Thanks this was helpful.
In the past, it took me months to get off benzos though, but I’m guessing they make you go much faster Ip? I’ve never been IP for substance abuse so just curious.

Thanks this was helpful.
In the past, it took me months to get off benzos though, but I’m guessing they make you go much faster Ip? I’ve never been IP for substance abuse so just curious.
Well iirc with diazepam they drop by 5mg a week

i can tell you cold turkey with a high dose addiction to benzos is a tough road to take. when i quit benzos i wish i had planned a taper program. but if i didn't get forced cold turkey i probably would have never quit. but after going thru the hell i did i will never take another one.

Am I the only person here that has access to Internet search engines or what? :ROFLMAO:

Five minutes and not even ever having heard of Soma up until seeing this thread:

It's in no way similar to benzodiazepines (even although your perception may be that it is).

If nothing else (let's dispense with the technicalities and formalities here) this statement on that page should make your day:

"...have the potential to produce physical dependence of the barbiturate type...".

Assuming that's 100% on the mark then may I suggest you read the below.

Whatever the case and knowing fuck all about this Soma shit other than that it sounds nasty:

Your best bet, I'd say, would be to taper by 10% per week or every two weeks (that's not an uncommon suggested tapering schedule when it comes to benzodiazepines anyway). At 1 500mg per day: I hope you've got a lot of that shit in stock i.e. it's going to take a while.

In the document (PDF) below there's a page entitled "Treatment of Withdrawal Symptoms" (page 12) relating to benzodiazepine and z-drug withdrawal (I only include this because the OP wanted to know if medication is made available to treat benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms). Might be worth something to somebody but read and apply with caution i.e. make sure you check drug interactions. Some of what's suggested doesn't sit right with me. But who am I to argue with all of those PhDs!

Am I the only person here that has access to Internet search engines or what?
Yeah, I gave up google and general searches when they started throwing bl way down the list... not cool, imo. 😁
Tapering 10% every week or two (whatever is stable) is prolly the most common method of dropping any substance with addictive properties.
Never been to an adult rehab so cannot comment on that, sorry.
Best of luck. You will not regret getting off of them but be ready to face the bull shit that was being "hidden" by benzos. I think this may be the biggest hurdle in benzo cessation.

but be ready to face the bull shit that was being "hidden" by benzos. I think this may be the biggest hurdle in benzo cessation.
^ True story!

Except in this case Soma is prescribed for musculoskeletal pain apparently so there's that to deal with at some point (of course I make the outlandish assumption that we're talking about this shit initially having been prescribed! :ROFLMAO: ).

Okay so the reason I would be going to rehab would not be for soma but to get a break from the cocaine I am taking. However, since im
Taking large amounts of soma for sleep, they are going to make this an issue, obviously.

and it’s the soma withdrawal I’m deeply afraid of.

ive tapered myself off clonazepam numerous times, so I know what it’s like and it’s not fun. I promised myself I’d never get in this situation again yet here I am.

I know I can get myself off the soma, but I need to get off the cocaine first. Then I take more benzos and never end up getting off the cocaine.

ive never been to an IP rehab for substance abuse. I was an eating disorder clinics as a teenager and have been on the psych ward so I have a basic idea what these places are like. And I did an IOP substance abuse program once.

i wonder if they prescribe anything to help with benzo withdrawal? Maybe gabapentin? I realize I could sign myself out if things got too tough…

Just found this little nugget and which is probably more to the point of the thread (well: the title anyway).

Admittedly it's a bit dated i.e. things may have changed. But it's worth a read anyway.

SHOULD I CONSIDER GOING INTO AN IN-PATIENT DRUG REHABILITATION FACILITY OR DETOX CENTER TO GET OFF MY BENZODIAZEPINE?

Frankly and dated as it may be: seems to reinforce a lot of what is said by members here on the topic of tapering on their own as opposed to as dictated by their GP.
This is a good post. Thanks