• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

how bad is ecstasy for you, really?

MikeyFlowers said:
The "holes in the brain" that are commonly refered to are called "Olney's lesions" and have never been proven or disproven to exist in humans. They've also never been associated with MDMA use even in animals (as far as I've ever known anyways) however people just love to say that something will put holes in your brain. After all, who really wants a hole in their brain?

Basically these are microscopic scars where a receptor site in your brain gets killed by the presence of a drug, a chemical released by a drug, or a transmitter becoming bound to a receptor it was never meant to bind to as the result of a drug. They have been shown (maybe? people will argue the validity of the study done) in lab animals exposed to very high doses of anaesthetics like DXM or ketamine.

Olneys lesions are associated with NMDA antagonist use, not serotonin agonists or serotonin reuptake inhibitors. MDMA doesn't cause them.

Helios. said:
Less harmful than alcohol.

Ecstasy may not be as bad as it is made out to be by the media, but seriously, don't be so naive. Lets see you treat e like alcohol.

Rated E said:
Ecstasy may not be as bad as it is made out to be by the media, but seriously, don't be so naive. Lets see you treat e like alcohol.
Dont be so ignorant. E and Alcohol are different drugs, they're meant to be used differently. If you think drinking weekly,or daily is worse than ecstasy monthly, you need to go do some research and stop believing everything you see on the TV.

alcohol is way worse than heroin or cocaine. It's comparable in rates of addiction and much much more toxic. People can be a full time junkie for years, get themselves clean, and come away with only the missing years nagging urge to use again. Contrast that with someone, who spent a decade at the bottom of a bottle, half a brain, no liver, and diabetic."

This goes for Ecstasy, and most other drugs too.

Last edited:
The statement "MDMA is less harmful than Alcohol" is so bare as to be completely meaningless.

..I remember coming here in 1999 when I started and now seven years later (of which the first 3-4 years was spent binging and the last three years have been pretty much a "3-4 times a year affair"), I can attest to what it does and does not do.

It does:

-screw you up psychologically if you roll every weekend for a longer period of time
-cause some memory problems in the long-term but not very many that are very serious.

It does not:

-turn you into an addict overnight. Addiction is a choice not something that happens after you swallow a pill.

E is a hard drug no matter how "soft" some people claim it is. Remember you are pretty much relying on some chemist to crank out what you believe is good MDMA. Testing kit or no testing kit, you are swallowing something made up of chemicals that are by themselves the very last thing you would want to eat/snort/show up your bum.

It is my belief that not so much the MDMA is causing the problems, but the adulterants and byproducts.

Originally Posteb by AuraithX
Dont be so ignorant. E and Alcohol are different drugs, they're meant to be used differently. If you think drinking weekly,or daily is worse than ecstasy monthly, you need to go do some research and stop believing everything you see on the TV.[/

Hmm, thats funny, i dont remember anything about comparing daily alcohol use to monthly e use in my post. I was replying to the statement that ecstasy is "less harmful than alcohol," which didn't specify frequency or pattern of use. I wouldn't compare daily alcohol use to monthly ecstasy use thats stupid. Ecstasy is by far my favourite drug, but that doesn't mean i'm ignorant to the harmful effects it can have if not used responsibly.

I 'believe everything i hear on TV', not likely. I'm speaking from personal experience with both drugs and plenty of research on both of them. You need to stop jumping to conclusions.

Rated E said:
Hmm, thats funny, i dont remember anything about comparing daily alcohol use to monthly e use in my post. I was replying to the statement that ecstasy is "less harmful than alcohol," which didn't specify frequency or pattern of use. I wouldn't compare daily alcohol use to monthly ecstasy use thats stupid. Ecstasy is by far my favourite drug, but that doesn't mean i'm ignorant to the harmful effects it can have if not used responsibly.

AuraithX said:
E and Alcohol are different drugs, they're meant to be used differently.

Alcohol in moderated = more harmfull than Ecstasy in moderation.

Harmful to what? Ecstasys more harmful to serotonin receptors. Alcohol is bad for your liver. Its actually quite subjective which one is more harmful. I know what i said is opinion, don't state it like its fact.

Rated E said:
Harmful to what? Ecstasys more harmful to serotonin receptors. Alcohol is bad for your liver. Its actually quite subjective which one is more harmful. I know what i said is opinion, don't state it like its fact.
Newsflash, alcohol fucks alot more than your liver..including your brain.

With long-term use alcohol may damage the connection between nerve cells and cause irreversible brain damage, including memory loss and personality changes.

Heavy alcohol use by men reduces testosterone levels, causing breast enlargement, testicular shrinkage, and impotence. Among chronic female drinkers, alcohol may cause menstrual irregularities, infertility, and loss of sex drive

With long-term use, alcohol can impede the functioning of immune cells, increasing your susceptibility to infectious diseases and cancer.

Long-term use can cause ulcers of the stomach (gastric ulcers) and the first part of the intestine (duodenal ulcers).

Alcohol is a known carcinogen, which contributes to the development of cancers of the lip, oral cavity, esophagus, larynx, stomach, and liver.

Additional effects on the liver include alcohol dependent hepatitis, fatty liver cirrhosis, and panreatitis.

One study suggests that men who have three or more drinks a day and women who have one and a half or more drinks a day may be at increased risk for cirrhosis.

Those who drink and smoke have a greatly increased risk of developing cancer of the mouth and throat.

With long-term use alcohol can cause chronic high blood pressure, cardiomyopathy (deterioration of the heart muscle) and other heart diseases.

As alcohol moves through the blood stream it damages and kills hemoglobin cells which carry oxygen, and with extended use may cause anemia.

Can reduce muscle mass in heavy users.

People go out and drink 2-3 times a week and no one says a bad word about it, If you did this with Ecstasy most people would realize something was wrong before the effects became irreversible.

Last edited:
Newsflash, alcohol fucks alot more than your liver..including your brain.

Yes i know. I was just using that as an example to show the subjective nature of the discussion. You missed the point completely. My point was, they are both harmful in different ways, and can certainly not be used in the same way, so there really is no concrete answer (to which one is worse for you). My opinion is that alcohol is less harmful (but not as enjoyable of course), and your not about to change that with a few googled definitions.

brainscan.jpg

this picture was shown on MTV saying that ecstasy puts wholes in your brain that when scanned look like this.
In reality, it turns out that this is a SPECT scan and althought i shouldnt say this for sure, im tired so i will: The areas with the holes, or the hollow areas are not actually holes/hollow, but they are representitive of places where there is decreased bloodflow.

If you had holes in your brain that big, you probably would not be alive, and if you were, you would probably not be a functioning human being.

I had a really bad headache one day after having 1 pill on the weekend. Ive never felt anything that bad before, it felt like my brain was eating itself. That was in May and I havent had anything since. I also feel like an idiot not being able to remember simple things sometimes, and I am by no means a hard or even regular user.

Rated E said:
Yes i know. I was just using that as an example to show the subjective nature of the discussion. You missed the point completely. My point was, they are both harmful in different ways, and can certainly not be used in the same way, so there really is no concrete answer (to which one is worse for you). My opinion is that alcohol is less harmful (but not as enjoyable of course), and your not about to change that with a few googled definitions.
How can you call someone naive for saying alcohol causes less harm, say ecstasy is worse and then go on to say they can't be compared?

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I really don't care what you think and I can see you're too ignorant to go and see which is really worse. "Your Opinion" is based on the fact that alcohol is more socially acceptable, not proven fact.

Last edited:
AuraithX said:
How can you call someone naive for saying alcohol causes less harm, say ecstasy is worse and then go on to say they can't be compared?

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I really don't care what you think and I can see you're too ignorant to go and see which is really worse. "Your Opinion" is based on the fact that alcohol is more socially acceptable, not proven fact.

INFACT!!!! there was a study that was just completed in the UK that argues for a restructering of their classification system. This study suggests that MDMA ("ecstacy") is amoung the LEAST harmful substances for you FAR FAR FAR behind Alcohol and even tobacco.

QUOTE:
"There are three class A drugs in the top five of the system, as well as one Class B and alcohol.
Tobacco is listed as the ninth most harmful drug and cannabis, a class C drug, comes in at number 11.
Perhaps most surprising is the presence of two Class A drugs - ecstasy and LSD - in the bottom six.
This places them well below tobacco and alcohol and a number of class B and C drugs. "

Link to the full article here (a very interesting read):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5230006.stm

RaverRack said:
INFACT!!!! there was a study that was just completed in the UK that argues for a restructering of their classification system. This study suggests that MDMA ("ecstacy") is amoung the LEAST harmful substances for you FAR FAR FAR behind Alcohol and even tobacco.

QUOTE:
"There are three class A drugs in the top five of the system, as well as one Class B and alcohol.
Tobacco is listed as the ninth most harmful drug and cannabis, a class C drug, comes in at number 11.
Perhaps most surprising is the presence of two Class A drugs - ecstasy and LSD - in the bottom six.
This places them well below tobacco and alcohol and a number of class B and C drugs. "

Link to the full article here (a very interesting read):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5230006.stm

I don't see why you're quoting me? I actually linked to this article on page 1

AuraithX said:
I don't see why you're quoting me? I actually linked to this article on page 1

i quoted you as a segway. . . and since i didn't read page 1 or 2 i didn't realize this was old news.

AuraithX said:

AuaithX, "My opinion" is based on my experience with the two drugs.

Sorry Helios, i shouldn't have said that. This discussion (or argument) changed my view a little.

I suppose plugging E would be less harmful on the body than swallowing, because the liver would be bypassed, would it not?