• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Holy Tachycardia

cannablissss

Bluelight Crew
The only reason I'm posting this is because I have been an avid DXM user for two years now and have never had any terrible side effects (this is excluding the time I had CCC's for three days in a row. Never again.)

Well, a few times I've gotten really sick from it, in which afterwards my trip intensified. It's pretty thought-provoking to see red foam in the toilet and wonder if it's the dye from the pills or your own blood. I've also had the famous robo-itch twice, one time being so bad that my mom threw me in the shower because I was itching so bad my body was turning red. Not fun!

Anyways, I'm sitting here with 675mg of DXM and I'm honestly a BIT afraid of tripping today. If it helps, I have a DXM-only product, Assured brand cough gels. This is because two weeks ago, the scariest thing I've ever experienced happened to me, and opened my eyes a little bit on if I even want to continue to abuse OTC products. DXM is my dissociative of choice, one of my favorite drugs to do, and I would hate to give it up. I had dosed 300mg of DXM in the form of Wal-tussin cough gels.

This is not a typical dose for me; third plateau is my comfort zone. 300mg is half of what I'm used to, but I was aiming for simple euphoria and a "trippy" state of mind, maybe a few CEVs. An hour and a half after dosing, I had a very weird sensation in my body, my whole body. It was like my limbs had fallen asleep. I went into my room and layed down, telling myself it was just the drugs. A few minutes passed before I could literally feel my heart pounding through my chest. I don't have this feeling unless my anxiety is at a high rate or I have a gut feeling something bad is going to happen. I also feel it sometimes when smoking a cigarette, but it's never bad.

I used the timer on my phone to measure 60 seconds while I held my hand over my heart and felt how many times it beat. I did it a couple of times, because my numbers were above 160 bpm and I just didn't think it was right. Turned out it was, I had my boyfriend check for me as well. Now I'm aware that one of the side effects of taking DXM can be tachycardia, but this serious? I mean, that's a relatively high rate!

Anyone have any input, or maybe their own experiences with this? It upsets me because if I go through this again, I'll most likely stop my DXM use for a long time, if not forever. I'm young with mild anxiety so when it comes to my health, I tend to freak out. Was it just one of those times where I actually had the side effect, or should I be worried about an underlying condition?

Happens every time to me. 160 is pretty high assuming it stays elevated throughout the trip. If youre young and otherwise healthy, a couple of hours at that HR should not be a problem, it gets that high when some exercise, but keep an eye on it.

It's very interesting to see how drugs work with different people - it happens every time with you, but this was a second with me! The first time, when I wasn't that experienced with DXM and with what not to take, I took just 10 of those horrid Coricidin pills and had a heart rate of at least 180.

Anyways, yeah it stayed at that rate for at least two hours, in which during that time I was gulping down so much ice water in which I honestly think is what brought my heart rate down. It went down to 145, then 130 by the time I went to bed.

I'm not that far into adulthood with no health problems other than very mild asthma that only occurs with strenuous exercise, and the fact that I can't be around pollen or else I'll have an allergic reaction. So yes I am relatively healthy, I don't drink (not often at all), have quit harder drugs, and yeah. I think I'll go ahead and take the DXM because it was probably just a one time thing for me. Thank you!

Second that.

And you should learn to take your pulse.

Holding your hand on your chest for a minute is not very accurate.

Last edited:
Look, there are extra factors with DXM that can make it dangerous. You buy for instance off brand pills. What would you do with an allergic reaction, tripping at 160-180bpm. Take Benadryl? That would be a super mind fuk in my opinion, plus that could cause it's own heart problems. Can DXM magnify Benadryl ? I'm not figuring it out. I see three options. Go find ketamine and see what a real nice disassociative feels like IMHO. K pees on DXM, I heard, I wouldn't know ;) . Still dangerous but maybe Kittycat5 could elaborate if a benzo would be okay. I would take the benzo, if I had to. I had tachycardia of 220 bpm. That took IV dilaudid and IV Valium to bring down. Last, most realistically, you could look for an extraction tek on this board. I know there is at least one.
Please rest more then two weeks between trips. This is not worth getting sick over.

Second that.

And you should learn to take your pulse.

Holding your hand on your chest for a minute is not very accurate.

Yeah I'm aware, but when you're kind of out of it it's hard to find a pulse, at least for me. I did the two fingers on the neck and wrist a couple of times and couldn't feel a thing. It also helped that I could feel each individual beat since it was pounding so hard.

Look, there are extra factors with DXM that can make it dangerous. You buy for instance off brand pills. What would you do with an allergic reaction, tripping at 160-180bpm. Take Benadryl? That would be a super mind fuk in my opinion, plus that could cause it's own heart problems. Can DXM magnify Benadryl ? I'm not figuring it out. I see three options. Go find ketamine and see what a real nice disassociative feels like IMHO. K pees on DXM, I heard, I wouldn't know ;) . Still dangerous but maybe Kittycat5 could elaborate if a benzo would be okay. I would take the benzo, if I had to. I had tachycardia of 220 bpm. That took IV dilaudid and IV Valium to bring down. Last, most realistically, you could look for an extraction tek on this board. I know there is at least one.
Please rest more then two weeks between trips. This is not worth getting sick over.

Do you think that brand name and generic brands give you a different reaction to the DXM, perhaps? I've tried all kinds of gels. The actual Robitussin, Wal-Tussin, Assured gels, and Rite Aid's brand of gels. Maybe it has something to do with the inactive ingredients? I'm not sure. Then again, brand names work better than anything, obviously. It could have been just the first time I had the tachycardia side effect. I've taken Benadryl before dosing lately to prevent the itch, but I don't really notice any intensified effects. Hmmm.

Honestly I wish I had access to better dissociatives, I like DXM so much that I'm sure I'll love Ketamine. But I'm in this commonwealth state where it's hard to find anything. I can't even find hash, shatter, or dabs, and that's all weed related! I don't have too many close friends at that. I'm kind of the only person besides my boyfriend that does anything besides weed. I only found LSD once, thought I had a connect after that, then the guy decided to keep the tabs for personal use. That's okay, cause his acid made me sick and he tried to say it was "double dipped," which I learned isn't even a thing! Sometimes I reflect on my drug use and it's a little sad that an OTC product is giving me such good times. But hey, I could be making meth with Sudafed! Or taking a bunch of Benadryl pills to go through a schizophrenic experience. I can't even find psilocybin. Would love to do shrooms. People don't even have adderall or simple hydrocodone.

I'm the person that introduced my friends to DXM, after my boyfriend told me about it, you know, told them what to get and what not to get. What to look forward to and all that jazz. So unfortunately it's highly unlikely that I'll ever get Ketamine. In the meantime, I'll continue to spread the love of a cheap trip. I definitely don't trip more than once a week, but lately I've been stretching it out due to the issue of tolerance.

Last edited: