• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hoffman: "At 400-500mics you reach saturation point"

My understanding is that it's possible -- any free state / bound state equilibrium reaches saturation at some concentration (see also, e.g., "100% humidity") -- but you've only saturated the highest-affinity receptors (5-ht1a, 5-ht2a, 5-ht6). Above that point you start to see more binding to secondary targets (5-ht1d, 5-ht5a, 5-ht2c, less so 5-ht2b, 5-ht7 and D3) which continues to change the experience. Of course, given that most people who do thumbprints report that the experience is very intense, but not really "insightful", it's possible you move from psychedelic to simply intoxicating.

Also, most doses are probably overestimated -- in the literature, even 80 micrograms is a pretty significant experience, but many people report that they take 200 regularly.

I am very much in agreement with you. LSD in high doses is similar to smoked DMT for me, very confusing, intense, and only partially of value. Ayahuasca seems to get you almost as high, but retains it's usefulness. It is not simply only "intoxicating" but the experience is so intense that I didn't glean much as far as lessons learned. Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful and terrifying, but I choose different substances or lower doses to bring back the lesson.

I question how people here so insistently state their dosages in specific micrograms.

for my case, we have a free drug testing service in my country that gives you a quantitative answer. you give them a hit of acid and they tell you it's 63µg or whatever.

@turkeyranch
i've had a trip with a pretty similar timeline and also a completely immersive psychedelic state that lasted for more than 7 hours on a much smaller dose. that was half of a 200µg blotter and a whole blotter of unknown strength (though a friend found one of those pretty weak for what it's worth...). to this day i still have no idea, why it turned out to be such a strong trip...

Last edited:
^ i tend to agree. aside, i see people often refer to their doses by their microgram weight. how are people measuring this commonly?

alasdair

I would assume hearsay. "My dealer said...."

I've once in my life been able to actually confirm the weight of LSD I had and that was using a scale. :)

Ismene, when did Hoffman write this?

Think it was a decade or two after the discovery. Can't remember if it was in "My problem child" or "Mystic Chemist".

Wouldn't say saturation point, but a point were it might be worth adding another chemical into the mix or try a different psychedelic if looking for a more heavy experience. I find 350ug a real sweet spot were the effects:dosage ratio is really balanced for me, always a good strong trip but not sensory overload. Used to be around 200ug but I find myself very comfortable in the acid headspace now after good few years using it as a self-analysis tool+recreational drug.

just for the record

"On his deathbed, unable to speak due to advanced laryngeal cancer, Huxley made a written request to his wife Laura for "LSD, 100 µg, intramuscular""

for his very last trip, he judged that 100 µg (intramuscular) were enough.

(draw your own conclusions)

How would intramuscular compare to an oral dose? Presumably it hits a lot harder.

Think it was a decade or two after the discovery. Can't remember if it was in "My problem child" or "Mystic Chemist".

I just wonder if better saturation studies might have been performed since then. I don't know, obviously.