• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids High on 16 mg of codeine? am I super hypersensitive?

Ruby97

Greenlighter
So, yesterday I took 2 x 8/500 cocodamol tablets, which I bought in the pharmacy, which is 16mg of codeine, for the 1st time in my life. I have no opiate tolerance at all. Didn't expect to feel anything, since its a usual cocodamol dose to relieve pain, and I was sure it was not enough for recreational use.

Like 20-30 minutes after, I started feeling different. It made me feel a bit slow, kinda reminded me of being drunk in some way, but it was different. At first I thought it must just be a placebo effect or something. But as time went by, it made me feel good, and I had a nice rush going through my body from my chest. Like a very gentle warm feeling. The feeling of wellbeing and euphoria was very mild and gentle, but if I put some nice relaxing music on (White Iverson lol), I just wanted to close my eyes and enjoy. I felt kinda slow and talkative at the same time. I felt so good you could actually see goosebumps. My eye pupils got kind of smaller as well. At the peak of it it felt like my life is great and I have nothing to worry about.

The only negative side-effect was that I felt like my respiration rate went down a bit and it felt like I needed to control my breathing in my head or it'd stop. But I think it was more of an anxiety related issue, since I am the most anxious person you will ever meet and I have hypochondria. I was feeling a bit nervous at first, since I didn't expect this to happen, but then the euphoria got even stronger so I just stopped caring and was like well if i stop breathing and die, my last hours were pleasurable lol

Also, at start, my head was a bit heavy (like a pressure between my eyes in my frontal lobe), but then the uncomfortable feeling left and I was really enjoying my time lol

After 2 hours, it started to get weaker, and now 3.5 hours after I felt normal again, but still was in a good and was feeling comfortable and relaxed, just quite tired and sleepy.

So why did it happen? Isnt 16 mg of codeine not enough to have an effect? I didn't expect this to happen, but now it makes me want to try some more cocodamol haha

Codeine is metabolized into morphine by CYP2D6. CYP2D6 is an enzyme with a large phenotypical variability, you might be a ultrarapid metabolizer, meaning that you have more than two functional genes expressed, resulting in more enzymes than normal. There's a genetic test, but you might have to pay for it yourself.

So, if I wanted to try some more codeine or other opiates, I would probably need to stick to lower doses than recommended and slowly work my tolerance up? Just cause as I see, people say 120mg is a fine starter dose.. If I took so much, would I just feel super high or I could OD?

If you really are an ultrarapid metabolizer 120 mg codeine could cause an OD. So if you plan on taking more codeine or other opioids (that are metabolized by CYP2D6) start extremely low and slowly work your way up and best have someone around with some naloxone on hand. If you can, get the genetic test (I think it might cost something between $100-200).
But my advice would be to not take more, as opioids can be quite addictive, so better not go down this road.

Not having narcan should never be an option even if you are alone especially as it has become more easily available.

Yeah just please be careful, also if you get tramadol dose that very low too. It’s metabolized by the same enzyme as codeine into a stronger opioid than tramadol

I will probably try another 16mg of codeine tonight and will see how it goes. If not much effect, will increase to 24-32 mg next time (using CWE, dont want paracetamol to kill my liver).

And about tramadol.. How much would be a good starter dose for me if I really am an ultrarapid metabolizer?

A normal tramadol dosage for pain would be 50-100 mg, so I'd say start with 25 mg and work your way up.

And for paracetamol, a safe single dosage is up to 1 g and daily dosage goes up to 3 g

Btw, I will probably get my hand on lyrica soon. Is there any connection between CYP2D6 and pregabalin? What would be a good starter dose for me? I know, its not an opioid, but just decided to ask anyways..

Oh, that's cool, so I should be ok with the normal dose. Thanks very much!

Took another 2 Co-Codamol, didn't do much. May be just sedated and relaxed me slightly, and helped my back pain. Feeling disappointed lol
Since you had trouble breathing on only 16mg of codeine, DO NOT take any opiates at al
I think it was just my anxiety.. Cause it went away when I stopped focusing on my breathing and I felt this way before in stressful situations. Now I do not care about it at all, and my breathing is just fine.

Last edited:
Btw, guys, I know you should never mix your opiates and alcohol since both act as CNS depressants. Is it ok to drink alcohol the next day tho? Asking, cause codeine will probably still be in the system the next day, won't it?

Guys, when performing CWE, how warm should water be? Also, it doesn't look pills dissolve completely and there are still little bits floating, is it ok?