• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin - Swelling/Itch Traveling Through Hand and Arm

3ch0

Bluelighter
I have had this happen a handful of times now and I cannot nail down what it could be. The issue is when shooting heroin, I register and start to push the plunger and all of a sudden I feel heat traveling down my arm and through my hand. It feels like it’s going along a vein due to the path it takes and it moves very quickly. The heat becomes a terrible itch sensation for a few seconds and then the areas it travelled look like an allergic reaction. Things swell a bit and the skin is raised up in certain spots and gets warm and red. After like 6 or 12 hours this all goes away and everything is fine

I would first say it’s a cut in the drug maybe but I can shoot that same liquid in another spot on my other arm without issue. It has happened in different veins and different arms.

It is always scary and I would love to know what I am doing wrong and how to prevent it if I can. Thanks!

You’re most likely hitting an artery. Feels like fire going to the extremity’s of the limb you’re trying to hit in.

Try to avoid it. It’s painful and not good practice.

Probably missed a bit. Or just a histamine release

I iv hydromorph and this happens on occasion when I try the small veins on my hands

You’re most likely hitting an artery. Feels like fire going to the extremity’s of the limb you’re trying to hit in.

Try to avoid it. It’s painful and not good practice.

Appreciate your replies! I have had this happen when I go for smaller veins around my wrist but last night it happened with one in my arm near the elbow. Could I be hitting an artery without like putting an IV in my neck? And then I should clarify that it’s not so much a burn that hurts it’s more just very warm. The itching does get to the point of hurting but only lasts maybe 10 seconds.

I do feel like it has something to do with missing some of the shot but then how would missing cause it to travel down my arm like that? I’m terrified that it will happen and my arm will swell up and fall off or something.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried plugging? I do it when my veins get overused and was surprised how well it works.
It doesn't hit as fast but pretty close and much safer.
It's hard to say what is causing it because I'm not a doctor but I've had it happen when I know it wasn't an artery.

Have you ever tried plugging? I do it when my veins get overused and was surprised how well it works.
It doesn't hit as fast but pretty close and much safer.
It's hard to say what is causing it because I'm not a doctor but I've had it happen when I know it wasn't an artery.

I haven’t but I desperately need to give my veins a break so I will definitely give it a try. I would be happy to give up the rush for a bit if I could revive my veins a bit. I assume you dissolve in water first?

My best guess, and it's totally opinion, is that it has something to do with nerves. When you get closer to the ends of your limbs, I'm guessing the smaller, more delicate nature of the infrastructure makes it much easier to disturb things. I can't say I ever experienced exactly what you're describing. I never injected in my hands, but I would use veins further down my forearm. The closer I would get to my hands, the more random pains I would feel when trying to inject.

I don't know the answer though. This is just my opinion somewhat based on my own experience

I haven’t but I desperately need to give my veins a break so I will definitely give it a try. I would be happy to give up the rush for a bit if I could revive my veins a bit. I assume you dissolve in water first?
Yes, dissolve it like a shot and use a syringe with no needle and up the booty hole a couple inches and squirt in. They say to lay on your side for 5 or so minutes but i don't always do that and it still works.
Made sure your bowel is empty though.
I get a rush, just slower Coming on but nice. Seems to last longer imo

Here's a thread on it

It happened again the other day. This time I was shooting up near my arm in the elbow crease. I definitely agree with Keif now and I think it’s related to missing some of your shot very close to a nerve. Still don’t understand the how but that is all that makes sense at this point. Hope this helps someone and if anyone else knows more, please explain. Y’all be careful out there.

Eek. Definitely major histamine reaction. I recommend using concentrated, filtered solution nasally, if you want to take a break from IV.

I don’t think you’re hitting arteries. Nerves more likely. But could even be something like tendons.