• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing Have some itsy bitsy Autoflowers growing, thoughts?

BK38

Bluelight Crew
So, I have some tiny feminized Autoflowers growing. One is Sativa (Jack Herer - purple pot) and the other is Indica (Critical - red pot). This is my first grow and I'm doing so outside and organically (no added nutrients besides what's in the acidic soil or the homemade organic compost I added to it). They first sprouted (post germination) on June 5th (63 days in) and they started flowering about 3 weeks ago. They're really small and I know a lot is water weight, so I think I'll only get a max yield of 1/4 OZ to 1/2 OZ realistically (after drying and curing).

How long do you guys think until it's ready for harvest? From what I read online and comparing and contrasting to what I've seen online, it's likely 4-5 weeks out still. I'm a total novice when it comes to growing, but I can smoke like a pro ;)

Any pro growers want to chime in? @Coffeeshroom ?

As promised, pics for @madness00 and
The Wizard of the Creek

zKLIP4A.jpg

(Critical)

rONzONZ.jpg

(Jack Herer)

FBI1SxK.jpg

(Both lil babies)

Looking good for your first grow! What made you pick Auto’s? They look decent, as you said expect only 7-14g at most they aren’t high yielding usually.

It’s hard to say but even with them being Autos obviously expect the Jack to need a bit longer. I’d guesstimate 4 weeks for the indica and 6 weeks for the Jack?

-GC

Looking good for your first grow! What made you pick Auto’s? They look decent, as you said expect only 7-14g at most they aren’t high yielding usually.

It’s hard to say but even with them being Autos obviously expect the Jack to need a bit longer. I’d guesstimate 4 weeks for the indica and 6 weeks for the Jack?

-GC

Thx for the input. I picked Autos because I'm a novice and I figured it would be harder to fuck it up tbh. I think I'm going to try photo-period with nutes next time, I just wanted to develop a baseline understanding of growing MJ and then go from there.

Thx for the input. I picked Autos because I'm a novice and I figured it would be harder to fuck it up tbh. I think I'm going to try photo-period with nutes next time, I just wanted to develop a baseline understanding of growing MJ and then go from there.

Completely understandable, I could see how Autos could seem easier on the surface. Definitely update us periodically as you go :) excited to see the finished results especially for the Jack Herer.

-GC

Completely understandable, I could see how Autos could seem easier on the surface. Definitely update us periodically as you go :) excited to see the finished results especially for the Jack Herer.

-GC

Will do! I'm kinda curious to see what an organic garden-to-joint harvest tastes like too. Can't wait to report back (GROW FUCKERS!) haha

OI! im here, what you need to know.

i can say this so far, leave them be and just water them. Stick you finger into the soil about 2 inches deep, if its dry water, if not then dont. auto flowering plants dont like being messed with. soo no topping or lst and such. From that i can see they look great maybe add a small dose of fowering nutes but very little. Auto flowering plants should be done from germination to harvest in 8-16 weeks. And most will still thrive aslong as the temp doesnt drop below 15 degree celcius. so dont even trim or anything, the plant do what it wants to. plus auto's need atleast a 11 liter pot size to grow to its full potential. And the average harvest per plant should be in the 30-50g mark. Wish you the best but they looking good so far.

OI! im here, what you need to know.

i can say this so far, leave them be and just water them. Stick you finger into the soil about 2 inches deep, if its dry water, if not then dont. auto flowering plants dont like being messed with. soo no topping or lst and such. From that i can see they look great maybe add a small dose of fowering nutes but very little. Auto flowering plants should be done from germination to harvest in 8-16 weeks. And most will still thrive aslong as the temp doesnt drop below 15 degree celcius. so dont even trim or anything, the plant do what it wants to. plus auto's need atleast a 11 liter pot size to grow to its full potential. And the average harvest per plant should be in the 30-50g mark. Wish you the best but they looking good so far.

Sweet, happy to hear you think they look alright! I've heard that less is more with auto-flowers for sure, so I'm just giving it water when the soil is dry. I'm still kind of on the fence about if I should give them nutes or not, as I don't want to hurt them at this sensitive stage, I also don't want the tiniest yield known to man either... If I do give them nutes, what kind of flowering nutes should I look for? Just anything for blooming with high levels of phosphorous and potassium?

Right now the plants are in week 9 or so, so I guess I can expect them to flower for another 4-7 weeks (I don't want to harvest too early for a reduced crop or too late when all the psycho actives aren't as strong).

In terms of Pot size, I should be fine as those are 20L each.

Do you really think i could get 30g out of each plant? That would be incredible! I'm going to keep my expectations low though.

Thanks for the advice :)

@BK38

When it comes to nutes i would only add them after the flowering stage is at least a week or two in and as i said just a light dose. as for the nutes it self i mostly use BioBizz bloom for my potted plants. But for auto i cut the ratio to 1/5 of there dilution and one add little. Auto plants dont really need much in feeding but need more care in the grow itself, not stressing, give them enough as possible light and keep them hydrated.

edit: i personally have only tried auto 5 times and all times had diferrent results so my advice or input is only based on my own personal experience, and yes its possible to get aroung 40g odd when done right. but remember its learning curve but thats what makes it fun and a passion for me. cant wait to see the end results. :)

@BK38

When it comes to nutes i would only add them after the flowering stage is at least a week or two in and as i said just a light dose. as for the nutes it self i mostly use BioBizz bloom for my potted plants. But for auto i cut the ratio to 1/5 of there dilution and one add little. Auto plants dont really need much in feeding but need more care in the grow itself, not stressing, give them enough as possible light and keep them hydrated.

edit: i personally have only tried auto 5 times and all times had diferrent results so my advice or input is only based on my own personal experience, and yes its possible to get aroung 40g odd when done right. but remember its learning curve but thats what makes it fun and a passion for me. cant wait to see the end results. :)

Great, thanks for the help. I'll post more update pics when I'm thinking about harvesting and will probably check to see if it's time before the big snip. The buds seem to be starting to fatten a lot more this week too and there are a lot more trichomes. Some of the pistels have turned amber too, but I'd say 90% are still white. It's pretty fun watching them develop and I feel like a proud farmer tending his crop (even if it is just a tiny one for personal use). I'm sure I'll have more questions when it comes to drying/curing. I was super impressed by your last grow, it looked liked enough to last me like 2 years!

I actually heard with Autos that it’s best to give light nutrients early on and that a lot of the yield is dependent on how big you can get it before it begins to flower. My own limited experience kind of led to similar conclusions but @Coffeeshroom seems to have quite a bit more recent experience than me as well as more experience with Autos so I could be wrong.

I grew out some Sour Diesel Lowryders and tried nutrients later on instead of earlier and had miserable yields (like 3.5g a plant shit). Could’ve been other factors though.. That time left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Autos, especially when they don’t flower quite as quick as advertised.

-GC

Yeh, the trick with autos is to get them as big as possible during the vegetative stage which improve the yield dramatically. Generally they should be at least 24" tall before they start to flower. Nothing wrong with using nutrients as long as you know what you're doing. If not, then just use a good quality peat free soil mixed with perlite to aid drainage.

A tip I was given which I swear by is to fill your pot with a good quality compost and soak it with water. Then scoop a cup full of the compost out of the middle and replace with a lighter compost for seedlings and lightly water that. Then I'd take my pre germinated seed (using the wet paper towel method) and plant it directly into the lighter compost. The lighter soil gives the roots time to establish before they hit the nutrient rich stuff. Definitely do not use those little peat pots because they will delay the roots from breaking through to the good soil and you want to avoid anything that may stunt growth. Don't trim or pick any leaves off even if they look as though they're dying - that plant will absorb nutrients from them.

Basically, as others have said, just leave them alone and water sparingly. If you're growing outside, regularly check the buds for mould and remove any parts that are affected. Better to lose some of your harvest than all of it.

Have fun..

Yeh, the trick with autos is to get them as big as possible during the vegetative stage which improve the yield dramatically. Generally they should be at least 24" tall before they start to flower. Nothing wrong with using nutrients as long as you know what you're doing. If not, then just use a good quality peat free soil mixed with perlite to aid drainage.

A tip I was given which I swear by is to fill your pot with a good quality compost and soak it with water. Then scoop a cup full of the compost out of the middle and replace with a lighter compost for seedlings and lightly water that. Then I'd take my pre germinated seed (using the wet paper towel method) and plant it directly into the lighter compost. The lighter soil gives the roots time to establish before they hit the nutrient rich stuff. Definitely do not use those little peat pots because they will delay the roots from breaking through to the good soil and you want to avoid anything that may stunt growth. Don't trim or pick any leaves off even if they look as though they're dying - that plant will absorb nutrients from them.

Basically, as others have said, just leave them alone and water sparingly. If you're growing outside, regularly check the buds for mould and remove any parts that are affected. Better to lose some of your harvest than all of it.

Have fun..

Thank you man that info is gold. I’ve done peat pots my whole life and sometimes depending on the peat pot they do majorly inhibit root growth. I’ve had some the roots couldn’t pop out of at all (coconut coir cups).

When I get a chance I’ll try that.

-GC

@BK38

Biobizz is the shit, I also like advanced nutrients organic line(I know I know), fox farm big bloom is one of my go to bases, liquid karma is a staple...OP for your next grow remember roots are the most important part of growing, big roots grow big fruits, healthy roots grow healthy fruits sub any word you want I think you get it tho, They need oxygen as much as water, for soil either use Fox Farm ocean forest or promixHP (my favorite) also pick up some great white micorizy, this will make a huge difference in vigor, pretty mandatory for organics...and when you buy some photos go with seedsman seeds, they cheap but quality is on par with 50$ seeds

Last edited:
I actually heard with Autos that it’s best to give light nutrients early on and that a lot of the yield is dependent on how big you can get it before it begins to flower. My own limited experience kind of led to similar conclusions but @Coffeeshroom seems to have quite a bit more recent experience than me as well as more experience with Autos so I could be wrong.

I grew out some Sour Diesel Lowryders and tried nutrients later on instead of earlier and had miserable yields (like 3.5g a plant shit). Could’ve been other factors though.. That time left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Autos, especially when they don’t flower quite as quick as advertised.

-GC
no you actually right about the nute part in the beginning or so it was before we had all theses new mediums that themself are already rich in nutes, reason most stopped the beginning part but are right. i remember my first grow, it was a fuck up of note, 7 years later and im still fucking up and learning but loving it

Also, pick up either George Cervantes grow bible or Ed rosenthal growers handbook, really good stuff to read from great cannabis growers

Last edited:

-GC
also want to add that flushing the plant a week before harvesting helps getting rid of the nutes and the tase they leave with the plants you harvest. nornally a chemical taste, so flushing before harvest helps to get rid of that taste an gives you the pure taste of the plant itself.

oh and for nutes on a budget, black strap molasses works great and so does diluted urine, especially in the veg stage.

What a difference a month makes! I think my Indica (Red Pot) should be ready to harvest in a week and I think my Sativa (Purple Pot) should probably take 2ish weeks more. I was going to harvest the Indica 2 days ago, with all of the trichomes pretty milky looking, but then I noticed there were quite a few new white pistils coming up and a little more bud development (particularly on the lower parts of the plant, but there are a few white pistils up top too). Thoughts? Suggestions?

@Coffeeshroom , @G_Chem , @F.U.B.A.R. , @Las Veghost grower , @madness00 - Anyone else I'm forgetting, feel free to chime in too :)

Indica (Critical XL Autoflower):
b7qiko1.jpg

Sativa (Jack Herer Autoflower):
y5pjpF0.jpg

Enjoying my first proper grow, thanks gang!

Last edited:
a magnifying glass/scope will help a lot but just going by the eye i would watch for the pistols to turn amber and start curling and also main fan leaves start to go too.. Some advice i can give so far

Edit: but by just a look at the pics i would say both plants still have at least 2-6 weeks to go.

a magnifying glass/scope will help a lot but just going by the eye i would watch for the pistols to turn amber and start curling and also main fan leaves start to go too.. Some advice i can give so far

Edit: but by just a look at the pics i would say both plants still have at least 2-6 weeks to go.

The Sativa definitely has a ways to go. I have inspected both under a magnifying glass and for the Indica, the trichomes are all milky. Also, maybe it's not clear from the picture, but the bottom 2 sets of fan leaves have turned yellow as the buds sucked up the leftover nutrients. I'd also say, for the Indica, about 70% of the pistils are amber and have curled. What concerned me a bit was the new white pistils that shot out at the bottom of the Indica mostly. Anyhow, thanks for telling me like it is, though I really am struggling to be patient for these last weeks :( Cheers.