• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Has anyone managed to beat a binge drinking problem with opiates,specifically codeine

Dan1888

Greenlighter
Hi Guys. Ive had a problem with alcohol for many years now. Not in the normal sense where I have to drink everyday but I have a problem when the weekend comes round. I have a massive overwhelming urge to drink which always leads to consuming massive amounts of alcohol and getting totally wrecked. Ive been doing this since my teens and I'm in my late thirties now, this behaviour is almost ingrained in me and very hard to break.

After a week at work I crave some kind of release and buzz, Ive tried drugs such as cannabis and lsd when I was younger but "psychedelic" drugs have a bad effect on my state of mind so I cant do these. Likewise I don't want to take anything like amphetamine or ecstasy(MDMA) because once I'm on that I know I wont be able to stop myself drinking. If anything they would make the urge to drink even stronger.

I had an accident last year and was prescribed codeine for the pain, I decided to take more than the recommended dosage just out of curiosity to see the effect it would have. I had a nice calm relaxed feeling with a kind of happiness. Recently I decided that perhaps if I took codeine/hyrocodeine when I get that huge urge to drink at the weekend maybe it would stop me feeling that I need to drink so much. Also it would give me that release that I feel I need at the weekends.

So far it seems to be working. I take 300mg on a Saturday at about 7pm, by 8pm I feel chilled and content, I don't have that strong urge to drink that I usually would have at that time.

I know people will say that opiates are a dangerous road to go down but I really have no desire or inclination at all to start taking them through the week or move on to a stronger opiate like heroin.

Has anyone else got any experience of this?? Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Don't keep doing this. You're just begging to become addicted to opiates, and start using stronger ones like oxy, hydro, Dilaudid, heroin, etc. as it will just become a substitute addiction and drug to alcohol. Stay safe.

Last edited:
I started almost exactly like you, ended up a heroin addict. It creeps up on you, by the time you realise your addicted it's to late, you'll do anything to stop the withdrawals. Technically opiates are probably better for you than booze, unless you IV or OD but once your in full addiction, your fucked. You'll probably loose everything. If you really want to be opiates, don't kid yourself. If you like it you will get addicted. Look after yourself mate.

Yeah it works but like everyone else said you will be addicted to opiates. I was drinking 12 to 18 beers a day. I switched back to opana. I stayed of opiates 5 months. Now I would rather get a 30 or 40. It was always my doc. Your just substituteing one addiction for another. I'm opinion is if your going to use you might as well use the chemical that your fond of.

I know people will say that opiates are a dangerous road to go down but I really have no desire or inclination at all to start taking them through the week or move on to a stronger opiate like heroin.

Has anyone else got any experience of this?? Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Actually you have every inclination to use through the week or more often than the weekends. You may not drink alcohol every evening but I suggest this may be for the same reasons as many folks who binge - you feel like complete shit and it takes you at least a couple of days to feel right again.....then Friday comes around and by your own admission 'give in' to massive urges to drink. Even though you're not an idiot or brain damaged you are able to properly an (in)conveniently 'forget' how shit you felt just a couple to a few days ago and go and do it all again, so the sickness you experience is not enough of a 'stop sign' to overpower the urge to get smashed on booze again.

I suggest that the only reason it's alcohol you binge on is once again, by the information you provided, up until now it has been the only drug that has been a viable option as all the other drugs you have used have ultimately for one reason or another not 'agreed' with you so booze it is. You are[/] addicted to at least one to two altered state experiences per week. Part of a drug addiction or addiction in general is the drugs availability and of all the fruit on the tree alcohol hangs the lowest and is ripe for the picking, and even if the human world is turned completely on it's head and there is a complete shut down of our societies (the shops are closed) the stuff is not only so easy to make but there is already too many people on a single block that actually do make it so it's here to stay.

With that out of the way let's talk about your willpower in regards to sobriety, come the weekend, quite simply you have no willpower or at least not enough to cover your massive urges to get high/wasted/satisfied every weekend for the past twenty years, even though you naturally and therefore likely have regrets every week after you've used a drug that alters your mental and physical state and routinely makes you feel sick for up to a few days. If I wasn't so versed in addiction or I had never ever had fun altering my own state I would say that you are not of sound mind to put it kindly, manners aside I would call you touched or believe you to be insane but when you have a drug habit/addiction/pattern of behavior driven by compulsion and have done for twenty years it's just how it is. It doesn't mean you're any less valuable to the human collective or of less intelligence than your peers....in fact I would say a genius who isn't also worldly and wise beyond believability has an increased vulnerability to altering their state by way of exogenous drug use - that's not my excuse but it could be yours.

Ok, now I'll talk on the class of drug in question - opiates/opioids. You cannot possibly know what it's like to end up using a drug everyday, multiple times daily, not to get high or have fun and enjoy but because if you don't you will with absolute certainty experience anything from the sickness of the worst stomach bug to and including wanting to kill yourself or actually killing yourself due to panic attacks and an anxiety that demands you jump from a great height while pulling the trigger on the loaded gun you've had pressed hard up against your temple........of course you don't have to die or get sick - you just need to score opioid drugs and get them into your body as soon as possible.....once again, not to get high or even to experience a slight mood lift but to feel like you aren't in the acute stages of death. Broke? Doesn't matter, soon enough hurting someone other than yourself will be justified in your mind, you will find yourself rather inclined to doing things you 'would never ever do' or be otherwise 'inclined' to do. You just probably will do worse things than what you were once never in a million years to ever even dream, ponder or preach to others about not doing. Opioid addiction and the shit that comes with it will define you to even those that still love you. They still love you because of the one condition they had to include, were forced to include with that offer of love, for their own survival - that you please stay the fuck away from them and anyone they remotely care about. You've murdered the old you, to suicide the new you would be an act of empathy and compassion but you won't be remembered for those qualities. At best you are dead and your best online friend may ask if anyone has heard from you because "They are really worried (to ever meet you) about you".

These are some thoughts I suggest you consider carry some weight, to have merit and to actually be first handedly carried out and experienced by the once most saintly individual any of us could ever have had the pleasure of waving a hand to from a distance....but by my own admission, you cannot reasonably consider there to be any truth to what I have written in this post until you've experienced the need to use opioids, and no one needs to experience it, no one wanted to experience it and no one ever will be unaffected by it. I'm off to take some more drugs, if you're in my neck of the woods drop in sometime oh and don't forget to bring your ignorance, trust, full wallet and of course your soul because I'm feeling a little peckish and you won't really be needing it anymore.

^That last sentence was my sense of humour, I do not believe drug addicts like myself to be immoral, stupid, ignorant or without their souls......but some of my decisions have displayed these traits. I hope to forgive myself more sincerely and more actually before I lay this body down for the last time. Take care folks, take extra special care of yourself OP.

Actually you have every inclination to use through the week or more often than the weekends. You may not drink alcohol every evening but I suggest this may be for the same reasons as many folks who binge - you feel like complete shit and it takes you at least a couple of days to feel right again.....then Friday comes around and by your own admission 'give in' to massive urges to drink. Even though you're not an idiot or brain damaged you are able to properly an (in)conveniently 'forget' how shit you felt just a couple to a few days ago and go and do it all again, so the sickness you experience is not enough of a 'stop sign' to overpower the urge to get smashed on booze again.

I suggest that the only reason it's alcohol you binge on is once again, by the information you provided, up until now it has been the only drug that has been a viable option as all the other drugs you have used have ultimately for one reason or another not 'agreed' with you so booze it is. You are[/] addicted to at least one to two altered state experiences per week. Part of a drug addiction or addiction in general is the drugs availability and of all the fruit on the tree alcohol hangs the lowest and is ripe for the picking, and even if the human world is turned completely on it's head and there is a complete shut down of our societies (the shops are closed) the stuff is not only so easy to make but there is already too many people on a single block that actually do make it so it's here to stay.

With that out of the way let's talk about your willpower in regards to sobriety, come the weekend, quite simply you have no willpower or at least not enough to cover your massive urges to get high/wasted/satisfied every weekend for the past twenty years, even though you naturally and therefore likely have regrets every week after you've used a drug that alters your mental and physical state and routinely makes you feel sick for up to a few days. If I wasn't so versed in addiction or I had never ever had fun altering my own state I would say that you are not of sound mind to put it kindly, manners aside I would call you touched or believe you to be insane but when you have a drug habit/addiction/pattern of behavior driven by compulsion and have done for twenty years it's just how it is. It doesn't mean you're any less valuable to the human collective or of less intelligence than your peers....in fact I would say a genius who isn't also worldly and wise beyond believability has an increased vulnerability to altering their state by way of exogenous drug use - that's not my excuse but it could be yours.

Ok, now I'll talk on the class of drug in question - opiates/opioids. You cannot possibly know what it's like to end up using a drug everyday, multiple times daily, not to get high or have fun and enjoy but because if you don't you will with absolute certainty experience anything from the sickness of the worst stomach bug to and including wanting to kill yourself or actually killing yourself due to panic attacks and an anxiety that demands you jump from a great height while pulling the trigger on the loaded gun you've had pressed hard up against your temple........of course you don't have to die or get sick - you just need to score opioid drugs and get them into your body as soon as possible.....once again, not to get high or even to experience a slight mood lift but to feel like you aren't in the acute stages of death. Broke? Doesn't matter, soon enough hurting someone other than yourself will be justified in your mind, you will find yourself rather inclined to doing things you 'would never ever do' or be otherwise 'inclined' to do. You just probably will do worse things than what you were once never in a million years to ever even dream, ponder or preach to others about not doing. Opioid addiction and the shit that comes with it will define you to even those that still love you. They still love you because of the one condition they had to include, were forced to include with that offer of love, for their own survival - that you please stay the fuck away from them and anyone they remotely care about. You've murdered the old you, to suicide the new you would be an act of empathy and compassion but you won't be remembered for those qualities. At best you are dead and your best online friend may ask if anyone has heard from you because "They are really worried (to ever meet you) about you".

These are some thoughts I suggest you consider carry some weight, to have merit and to actually be first handedly carried out and experienced by the once most saintly individual any of us could ever have had the pleasure of waving a hand to from a distance....but by my own admission, you cannot reasonably consider there to be any truth to what I have written in this post until you've experienced the need to use opioids, and no one needs to experience it, no one wanted to experience it and no one ever will be unaffected by it. I'm off to take some more drugs, if you're in my neck of the woods drop in sometime oh and don't forget to bring your ignorance, trust, full wallet and of course your soul because I'm feeling a little peckish and you won't really be needing it anymore.

^That last sentence was my sense of humour, I do not believe drug addicts like myself to be immoral, stupid, ignorant or without their souls......but some of my decisions have displayed these traits. I hope to forgive myself more sincerely and more actually before I lay this body down for the last time. Take care folks, take extra special care of yourself OP.

Absolutely amazing post SKR. I read it twice, and not just because I'm retarded from neurontin ;)

^Indeed, that was about as powerful a description of addiction I've seen in some time, if ever.

Exactly what SKR said, and remember we were all you once, not many set out to become heroin addicts, it's just usually the most obtainable strong opiate, and that 300mg of codeine won't effect you forever. Seriously you asked for advice off people with experience but you just want someone to tell you it's fine. You're already psychologically dependent I think, if you don't quit soon it's gonna fuck you up. It might take even a few years or more, but your on the road to being a full blown junky. Sorry but it's true, I hope you realise before its too late. And I say this out of concern, I've been there (2 months clean) it's no life.

Ehhh OP, your playing with fire. The problem with opiates is they are TOO GOOD. Alot better than alcohol. Imagine a drug where you can feel like your floating on a cloud, happy as hell, perfectly content, pain free, worry free, and you don't wake up hungover in the morning like alcohol.. That is opiates.

You are going to like them. You will probably like them more than you like alcohol if you do them enough.

What if one day, you decide to get curious again and you realize you can take them at work, just a little bit, and you are totally fine. With alcohol you'd normally be caught, but a little bit of opiates at work and nobody would ever know.

This is how it starts. With opiates, you can live in a happy world. The opiate world is one you don't have to leave. You can be 100% functional living the opiate world. Hell some people are even better performers at work/their relationships/studying when they live in the opiate world.

Alcohol is dangerous. I personally think being addicted to opiates is actually a lot safer than having an addiction to alcohol. But opiates aren't 100% safe my friend. They feel great, but it all boils down to your self discipline. If you can just stick to the weekends of using them, you will be ok. Hell you'll probably even be alot safer using opiates on the weekend instead of binge drinking. But it's super easy to fall into a functional addiction with opiates, probably easier than alcohol. You can't drink at work, you can't drink while you're driving, you can't drink at church, you can't drink at the gym....... With opiates, you can be high for all those things.... It's alot easier to fall into a real addiction with opiates I think.

So, I'm not gonna say no don't do it you'll end up a heroin addict blah blah blah, because I think that's a load of shit. Most people that do opiates don't end up heroin addicts. But if you don't resist opiates and let them creep into your weekdays, eventually your tolerance is gonna go up. You'll need to increase your dose and graduate to hydrocodone, oxycodone, dilaudid, etc etc to feel how you would like to feel, just to feel ok. You'll change your route of administration from oral, to sniffing, to smoking, to possibly one day even shooting... Shits going to get expensive, committing multiple felonies will become a part of your everyday life. I think you get the idea.

My point is, don't let yourself fuck this up. I personally don't drink like I used to anymore and I just stick to opiates. Opiates haven't caused me any life problems (alcohol and benzos did), but I did progress in my addiction with them. I started with codeine but now im using fentanyl. It's not a big deal if you try using oxys or dialudid, but just stay away from heroin and fentanyl man. Don't IV because you cant start running into dangerous health complications with IV usage, and don't let yourself start using during the week and become addicted..

So 3 Rules:
1. No heroin/fentanyl usage
2. No IV allowed
3. No weekday usage

If you start breaking any of those rules, trust me and what everyone else is saying, your headed downhill fast and you should seek a rehab center before you end up in a really bad situation like ODing or spending a shit ton of money on opiates or getting a felony etc.

Good luck though, you'll probably fair out ok.

doctors used to prescribe morphine for alcohol addiction. it works but the problem is supply. if you could choose between being an opate addict and being an alcoholic opite is a lot better for your health but the trouble is supply.

btw Detroit EDM Junkie I tried to answer your PM but it say your box be full.

Please OP be so careful, stick with just one. That's the way I started a year ago and last few weeks I've been smoking heroin, I have NO intention of ever pinning it. Stay safe xxx

Yes it seems as if you're in the process of developing a NEW addiction. Bad idea..

Opiates start out as your best friend and the answer to everything. Literally saying that makes me cringe because when I use to hear that I wanted to punch someone in the face. But it's simply true.

Last edited:
If you are not an alcoholic I don't see the reason to switch to an other drug. I think alcohol is a perfect drug for periodical use. If your fear is about becoming an alcoholic if you continue that way, I think it is pointless to switch to a drug that will make you addicted much easier than alcohol will.
And, having tried heroin once, I hardly think that opioids will make you want less alcohol.

Opioid addiction and the shit that comes with it will define you to even those that still love you. They still love you because of the one condition they had to include, were forced to include with that offer of love, for their own survival - that you please stay the fuck away from them and anyone they remotely care about. You've murdered the old you, to suicide the new you would be an act of empathy and compassion but you won't be remembered for those qualities. At best you are dead and your best online friend may ask if anyone has heard from you because "They are really worried (to ever meet you) about you".

By extension this basically also means that depression is a state of mind that will define you even to the people who love you, the lack of ability to share joy with other people is a reason you will be dropped by people in the end if you don't manage to change as they don't want to be constantly affected by your misery. As a matter of fact opioids do take this ability away from you.

SKR said:
Opioid addiction and the shit that comes with it will define you to even those that still love you. They still love you because of the one condition they had to include, were forced to include with that offer of love, for their own survival - that you please stay the fuck away from them and anyone they remotely care about. You've murdered the old you, to suicide the new you would be an act of empathy and compassion but you won't be remembered for those qualities. At best you are dead and your best online friend may ask if anyone has heard from you because "They are really worried (to ever meet you) about you".

By extension this basically also means that depression is a state of mind that will define you even to the people who love you, the lack of ability to share joy with other people is a reason you will be dropped by people in the end if you don't manage to change as they don't want to be constantly affected by your misery. Makes sense, it's understandable but sad as fuck. As a matter of fact opioids do take this ability away from you.

SKR said:
I suggest that the only reason it's alcohol you binge on is once again, by the information you provided, up until now it has been the only drug that has been a viable option as all the other drugs you have used have ultimately for one reason or another not 'agreed' with you so booze it is.

So true, and opioids might agree with you like nothing else ever can which is a big warning for you in itself. I don't think happy people feeling fulfilled by their life do enjoy opioids, I've never met one, but met quite a few who tried but didn't like it at all. A good thing to do would be to reevaluate your life now instead of doing that in a few years when much may be already lost due to opioids.

The promise of opioids is one of the greatest illusions that one may stumble upon in life, so you obviously can't perceive that right. At the moment I can't think of a single reason why even seasoned opioid use might be good for you, I don't think they're drugs anyone takes to have fun.

Having tried Heroin I can't see how you could replace alcohol with opioids.

For a lot of us, we have no desire to drink when we're high on dope. Problem is, though, that when you don't use, you still have the urge to drink. No gain, really, and for many people, there are now two addictions instead of one. It's not a good plan, at all.

Been down that road and for me one replaced the other for a while for all the reasons stated that boil down to feeling better using and no hangover (till the level where wd comes in to play and then it really is magnified for days on end not just a day hangover). No doubt you already know what you intend to do and this thread began as a way to both give yourself permission and perimeters and maybe because some part of you (tell me if I'm wrong here) doesn't think it's ok. That old "don't do drugs" keeps replaying in your head despite consciously wanting to take a substance that negatively impacts your possibly perfectly good health otherwise. The desire for you to use is based not on physically feeling better but psychologically feeling better. For some they are blind and think life is grand and it's going to make it better and for some life is hell and it's going to make it better and so it will go until you realize the nuclear fallout that both alcohol and drug use of that kind eventually leads to. So either get ready for a ride with a steep price up to the cost of your life or maybe reevaluate why you feel so compelled to drink the way you have. Imagine for an instant that it isn't alcohol or drugs that interest you. Let's pretend the substance is fire. You recall being taught "don't play with fire" and you know when you look at a burn victim that they learned the hard way how dangerous it can be. You think well what's striking an occasional match or flicking a bic gonna do, right? But the more you do it the more risk you take of burning yourself or another or something else. The risk makes it fun as time goes on and the habit becomes compulsive. There is a driving force behind all of these paths to addiction/alcoholism/arson. I'd suggest you think of a personal thing that you know is bad for you that doesn't interest you to compare it too. Would you do that several times a day and trade your relationships and job and everything you had for it? No. There's a reason you're negotiating this way for instant gratification at the cost of long term well, everything. If you do not understand why then you will perpetuate self destructiveness in one form or another until you do. Some days I soul search to figure out what got me started but most days it's a real battle to keep from repeating it all myself and I know what the cost is for me personally. You gotta love yourself more than your substance though and by the time everything is wrecked it's a lot harder to do.