European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Happy Summer Solstice!

Si Dread

Bluelighter
Mid-summer today! Soon I'll be able to sleep all night again, & not keep waking with the sun at 4-fuckin-am!

Enjoy the longest day! =D

the-wicker-man-original.jpg

Mid-summer today! Soon I'll be able to sleep all night again, & not keep waking with the sun at 4-fuckin-am!

Stop wishing your life away. 4am sun is great. You can't celebrate the solstice and slag off the sun.

In other news, the actual longest day was 2 days ago. Pissy grey skies at 10pm don't count.

I'm going to have to stop slagging people off and take some drugs soon, sorry.

Soon I'll be able to sleep all night again, & not keep waking with the sun at 4-fuckin-am!

Not quite 'soon' though, is it?

I mean, on the winter Solstice immediately prior to Christmas, do you think 'soon I'll be getting sunburn in a beer garden'? :D

Stop depressing me. I love early-morning sun. It's how it should be. This is the first day of summer in the northern hemisphere, despite the well-worn traditional misnomer that is 'midsummer'.

^this, summer is July, August and September, roughly.

I find it hard to enjoy the shortening of the day though :|

Are people (druids, warlocks, travellers, pagans) still allowed access to stone henge during the solstices. Its a travesty that no one is allowed access for the rest of the year. Wouldnt really like turning up and finding the place rammed full of hippies and coppers.

^ They are but is quite heavily managed these days, I think.

Hippies at Stonehenge, yesterday... actually today but that doesn't have the same ring to it :p

Although they're almost certainly going on the wrong day cos winter solstice would've been the one that was of most interest to people back then. But am sure they also liked a bit o' midsummer partytime too =D

In other news, the actual longest day was 2 days ago. Pissy grey skies at 10pm don't count.

In vaguely related news, I watched a prog that explained all this kinda stuff t'other day. Is far more complex than I'd ever realised. "Equinox" (yes, I know solstices are not equinoxes but sticking strictly to the subject at hand is not the EADD way :p) is also a complete misnomer cos day and night are never actually the same length on any day. The actual equinox is a single moment not a day. It only happens for a brief moment and differs dependent on where exactly you happen to be placed - latitudes and longitudes and all that. Was quite interesting actually

Stop wishing your life away. 4am sun is great. You can't celebrate the solstice and slag off the sun.

I can & am! Actually, I worship the sun. It's the LIGHT that's the problems :D Just nakkered at the moment, havent got very thick curtains & cannot for the life of me sleep once it's light, not without assistance, anyway. I grew up in southern Africa where all my wierd habits were established, & the time of sunset/sunrise varies by little more than an hour throughout the year, sun goes down & 7:30 in summer, 6:30 in winter. Similar for sunrise. Of course, having been back here for 27 years, you'd have thought I mght've picked up the summer/spring/autumn/winter thing by now... but no...

Shit totally forgot about this. It's going to get dark around 12 and get light around 2 if even that here!

jus been at a Solstice party thing .:\

nah been at home all daY ?

YOU DECIDE ?

Yeah, I'm having the worst reflux disease for years- my chest keeps burning, so I'm not really in the mood for celebrating! :\

Happy Summmer Solstice for everyone celebrating it!

Fukin right had a fine day with many old friends n some cool new ones

West Country stand up Luv U all

Stonehenge is the dreariest pagan monument known to mankind. Could only have been made worse by placing it on the Isle of Lewis and even that might have improved it. They should knock it down and build a fucking Asda there. Dreary windswept shithole.

Does Wales count as West Country? It is a country to the west of England, after all. Well, to the west of most of England. I live in the westernmost bit of Wales if that helps.

So all of it is west of at least some parts of the West Country. Then I declare myself a part of the West Country on the factual geographical basis alone. I actually didn't know that Gloucestershire and Wiltshire counted as West Country. I tend to just think of them as generic farming wastelands. Although have admittedly probably never been to either.