• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Hallucinogenic properties of heroin, other opioids

morphonorconic

Bluelighter
I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced any significant hallucination or visual distortion when using opiates/opioids? (There was fairly dated thread with a similar topic in the Neuroscience Forum, but it was old and, for lack of a better description, convoluted)

Although I'm curious and open to hearing about any type of hallucinogenic activity, my question is geared more towards closed eye visuals rather than open eye visuals. In the past I've had minor, very indistinct and unremarkable CEV's when using larger doses of various opioids, especially the natural and semi-synthetic opiates like morphine and codeine, and dihydrocodeine, hydro/oxy-codone, and hydro/oxy-morphone, respectively. Poppy pod tea produced what I'd consider the most noteworthy activity.

With that said, I recently injected a moderate dose (five bags) of extremely potent heroin. After being completely incapacitated for several minutes, I closed my eyes and was astonished by the extraordinary patterns I was seeing. Incredible and unbelievably intricate fractals that moved and changed rapidly- spinning, expanding, pulsating with infinite depth... As with most psychedelics, it is very difficult to explain, and words hardly do it any justice.

What I experienced was not at all unlike the CEV's I've known in the past with LSD, Psilocybin, etc. And especially DMT. Also, the speed at which these patterns moved and evolved was very similar to the visual distortions I've had when using nitrous oxide. I've never thought much about the hallucinogenic properties of opioids; I always just kind of wrote it off as being a temporary and uninteresting side effect- certainly not anything worth mentioning. And though I don't think this is something anyone would or should go out of their way to achieve, it was however so undeniably evident that it made me decide to raise the question of whether or not this is a rare and/or isolated phenomenon, or if it's something others have experienced, and considered to be notable as well.

Hmm...ive had minor visual distortions, but like you said, they werent really noteworthy. Wonder if it was cut with something? Dramamime has caused those cevs in me before and in pretty low doses and I know on the east coast they cut h with sleeping pills?

the first time I really went for it with percoset , I took four 7.5 mg pills at once during my last period class which was gym class, I ran a mile while they kicked in... Mind you I was in high school, a senior, and I ran the mile that day faster than I ever had, 5:50 mins ....

after the run, I felt so euphoric and told my old gym coach that I loved him for all the wonderful service he provided us at the school; he seemed genuinely touched and a bit mystified about why a kid in high school could express emotion so proudly...

once i got home, I was just so euphoric and itchy I just felt like I had to lay down to contain myself from my mom and siblings, (we had a huge house , and my own room on the far end) ... I went and laid down in bed and began to experience "waking dreams" or lucid dreams on a scale which I would def classify as hallucinogenic... I was completely aware of my body and that I was in my room laying in bed, but my mind was in a video game ( I was literally a terrorist from Counter-Strike, the avatar) I was cruising around the multiplayer map just destroying my counter terrorist blue enemies, getting headshots like crazy..... Everytime I would get another head shot I would be propelled a little big higher, physically and mentally I would shudder with pure ecstasy.... Finally I just took (my avatar) straight for the sky and the heavens beyond, , I became a rocket--- like an actual nasa rocket, with the terrorist avatar sort of existing at the same time..... as I shot towards the sky I picked up speed and euphoria.... the speed of the roccket was symbolic of the speed or intensity of my euphoria... and it was gaining in momentum exponentially....

My mom suddenly came in the room, I was in a strange position with my pelvis sort of sticking up into the air while I was flatt on my back , eyes wide open , beads of cold sweat coming down my face.... I believe i was crying tears of joy as well.... and I had a little conversation with my mother , all the while stilll luckid dreaming I was a rocket headed for heaven,

Strangely I was able to let my mom know that I thought I had a fever or something, and needed to just be left alone in bed....

Needles to say, it was the best possible opiate experience one can have....

years later I took my friends methadone, 170 mgs ... with a tiny tolerance at the time.... (like i could get high from 3 norcos) I took the 170 mgs in conjunction with 2mg of klonopin, and 30 mg of adderall... I don't remember to much, but basically my friends said I wasn't speaking english... But wasn't slurring my words either, I was speaking in tongues... like a strange totally alien language , clear and accented and they said it tripped them out,.... They said when I was making any sense I thought I was in utah (where I had been going to college 6 months earlier) ... I do remember feeling like I was on mushrooms and euphoric as helll... I was watching these plants , dance and squeel with delight.... my friend said he thought I was going to die,.... I just remember totally tripping, not like lucid dreaming either, like actually full blown mushroom/acid/ whatever tripping...

^It's a miracle you didn't die taking 170mg methadone with benzodiazepines when you still got high from hydrocodone.... Maybe the amphetamine saved your damn life... Why the hell would you take a lethal dose like that out of nowhere?

I should have clarified that although my tolerance was low at the time ,i hada pretty severe heroin on foil scscenario going on for a year or two right after high school...

in retrospect 170 mgs was probably to much , but i didnt get sick, i had a blast and im pretty sure my friend was rx'd that amount daily...

(I may have had more adderalls or meth, who knows )

The way drugs effect the brain is something I am attempting to learn, and this thread fits...

I LOVE percoset. Never bought it on the street but I don't mind so much when I have to go to the ER for whatever injury cause I know I will feel fine in a few hours.
That being said, I do get into an almost psychedelic state from 4-6 tablets. I do hallucinate, eyes open or closed, and audio is just as effected.
I believe it is similar to oxygen deprivation in many ways or similar to Nitros.Oxide. I will find out exactly why when I get to it but for now I am just answering your question.

If you want to trip with opiates, take a moderate dose with a psychedelic.
2C-E with 120mg codeine and 50mg promethazine is one of my favourite combos. The codeine gets really trippy when combined with a psychedelic and the euphoria is amazing. Normally I don't even care much for opiates but I LOVE them when I'm tripping.

I've had both CEV's and OEV's from Hydromorphone (CEV's) and Oxymorphone (OEV's) the Oxymorphone was at a bit higher dose than usual, and got a bit sick, but after throwing up, I was bewildered for the next few moments/minutes (No clue how long it actually lasted) From what I was seeing, watching my carpet slowly start changing colours and moving along with my breath it felt. CEV's from Hydromorphone/Heroin was always a nice surprise when I was IV'ing back a few years ago, beautiful sights they held :)

I remember the miosis from higher doses was enough to sort of ease the transition between the actual reality I was seeing and the imagination in my head. It wasn't even close to the level of actual psychedelics, but those sort of little squiggles and shit you see when you close your eyes normally were exaggerated, making a sort of rainbow-type glow supersede everything, twas awesome.

I've heard kappa opiate receptors induce hallucinations, that may play a role in the CEV's. It could also be the nod. whether or not I'm on opiates, if I am barely staying conscious I always start to hear voices and begin to go in and out of dreams.

Other then the nod I have not experienced any kind of CEV on opiates alone. Now on mdma, that's a different story.

Man I wish I was able to still get high from such a small dose of codiene. Impossible for me to get high on any dose of codiene. That being said though, codiene is a pretty shitty opiate to try and get high from with the only ROA being oral. Just my 0.02$.
If you want to trip with opiates, take a moderate dose with a psychedelic.
2C-E with 120mg codeine and 50mg promethazine is one of my favourite combos. The codeine gets really trippy when combined with a psychedelic and the euphoria is amazing. Normally I don't even care much for opiates but I LOVE them when I'm tripping.

Salvia Divinorum is a good example of this.
I've heard kappa opiate receptors induce hallucinations, that may play a role in the CEV's. It could also be the nod. whether or not I'm on opiates, if I am barely staying conscious I always start to hear voices and begin to go in and out of dreams.

Other then the nod I have not experienced any kind of CEV on opiates alone. Now on mdma, that's a different story.

Apologies for my absence. Thank you all for your responses I appreciate the insight. In response to several of y'alls posts: I am farily certain it was not cut with an antihistamine or anticholinergic, nor any other psychotropic substance besides diacetylmorphine. My source is solid and I've never suspected the presence of any unwanted [active] chemicals in the product. With that said, in spite of ample experience using opioids in combination with essentially all of the common antihistamines, I've never used any antihistamines intravenously, and therefore I can't say for sure that I would be able to identify it if it was present. However, based on the effects of heroin (or any other opioid) combined with antihistamines I've taken orally, I still believe it was purely the "personality" of the drug that was responsible for such marked effects. I suspect the phenomenon was the resulted from traces of particular of opium alkaloids- maybe some thebaine, codeine, maybe 6-monoacetylmorphine, of course morphine diacetate, and whatever other active alkaloids that might be present, and which might potentially behave as kappa receptor agonist/partial agonist. I'm really not sure. This seems like the most plausible explanation to me, as every new batch of the drug in my experience seems to possess its own subtle if not remarkably different "personality-type" characteristics.

I do recall pseudo-psychedelic, or perhaps pseudo-hallucinogenic would be a more proper term, experiences a couple times when I combined morphine and methadone with cyclizine: kind of wavy-double vision and mild dissociation from normal sensory perception. I remember physically feeling very numb but also tingling all over, feeling heavy but as if I were floating. And when I closed my eyes I felt as though I were moving- spinning, floating, sinking. It was quite entertaining. And of course from the first time [when] I took hydrocodone with LSD, I don't think I've taken a hallucinogen without also taking an opiate. I fell in love with the mellow spin they add to a psychedelic trip.

In the experiences I just mentioned as well as in countless others I have no doubt have had CEV's and even mild OEV's when I've taken (usually large doses of) opioids, both on their own and in combination with other drugs, with the combos usually resulting in the more interesting visual distortions, maybe with the exception of high dose morphine. Although I can't exactly remember any specific visuals, in my morphine/hydrocodone years (hence my name morpho=morphine, and norconic=Norco ;)) in addition to whatever opioids, muscle relaxers, benzos and later black tar (wasn't using IV at that time) I could get my hands on, I was ingesting copious quantities of MScontin and hydrocodone, as well as alprazolam, and due to the long lasting effects of the ER morphine sulfate even when chewed/parachuted, I used to find myself sitting upright on the couch in the night in front of the TV nodding intensely. But this wasn't a typical generic bobble-head heavy eyelid but mostly awake/aware nod. My temporal sense was lost completely; hours would pass and I would come to wondering why the same half hour show I'd been "watching" wasn't still on, and conversely I would jump abruptly not knowing what day it was or thinking I'd slept through to the next evening yet only minutes had passed. In this space between dreams and reality I was never really sure about anything and I was often confused. In these quasi-dream scenarios I integrated elements of what was on TV into what I was thinking, or thought I was thinking, and the result was some of the most bizarre states of consciousness I've ever known. It was like leaving my body and having all kinds of interactions and experiences that were extraordinarily strange and almost always impossible, but still as real and as visceral as waking life, while maintaining a vague fractured awareness that somehow somewhere my living room, couch and the sound from the TV were on some level involved in this mystery which never made sense and which I repeatedly struggled to make sense of. I would "awaken" and it would all unravel and fade in an instant. I'd squint at what I was "watching" and check the time, and the cycle would begin all over again. These were some remarkable, undeniably unique and absolutely wild states of consciousness.

I can definitely identify with the strange states of consciousness and loss of time while nodding. If I get into a real heavy nod I'll start to quickly phase in and out of dreams that are both identical and irrelevant to what I am observing at the time. I can't specifically remember any because they come and go so quickly and in great quantities, I would describe the state as serene delirium.

Butyr-Fentanyl - first times dosing. Smoked approx ~3-4mg from foil. Instant opiate feeling spreading from lungs. Hits brain. I nod almost immediately. The next 2 days were the most delirious and hallucinogenic i have ever felt from opiates / opioids. I clearly remember looking out my window staring at a swirling vortex. it was spinning and looked like a portal to another dimension. my eyes were wide open, but i wasnt quite conscious.. i then sort of snapped out of it and it disappeared. later, i was sitting on the floor, i had my foil and i was smoking another hit. after i took the hit, i looked up, and i was surrounded by all the tribal elders from a native american tribe. they were all smoking off of foil. we were passing it around.. then i was alone again... really strange experiences that never happened later after i used it a bit more.

That's caused by "nodding". I personally don't get it from opiates but I got adhd and opiates tend to almost stimulate me, like when I was doing heroin the more I did the longer I stayed up lol, would give me insomnia and I'd stay up all night. But I read many anecdotal reports of people nodding out on opiates and experiencing vivid day dreams that they snap in and out of while nodding where they literally feel like they are in a whole different place talking to people and experiencing shit and then they snap out of the nod . Some people just get those crazy nods, consider urself lucky with those nods because I even on my craziest benders have never experienced a perfectly euphoric vivid nod. I wish I did but I've chased it and believe my adhd just makes opiates not quite work the same for me as others. Maybe a blessing in the long run.

yep thats it. i was told i was speaking to people who werent there also but didnt remember.

Its possible. I was on 30 of oxy when i was opiate naive and my friend came over with a huge 2 g opium ball he just got and a 8th of some bud called rockstar. I was already high as a kite and laughing my ass off when he packs a big ass bowl pack with opium all over the top. I shit you not before i could even exhale the first hit i was rocked and blasted straight into space. Everything turned like a rainbow almost like a spectrum tint on the world my friend was orange the ground was pink the sky was green it was some trippy shit and everything sounded weird almost like i was under water. Ive since stopped mixing drugs and taking opiates.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "pipe-dream"? It comes from smoking an opium pipe and having pleasant daydreams.

It is actually both great and terrible. Imagine being in a great field of happiness and friendship only to awaken to addiction and doldrums. Sort of a weird metaphor for drug addiction or some deeper thought. It comes at the nod.