Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 2 [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • 3 [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • 4 [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters
hee hee. Michael, Beavercreek is where I live now... And even if I was sticking up for ole Xenia, it definitely isn't nearly as nice as Beavercreek.
Beavercreek, with maybe the exception of Centerville and Springboro, is the nicest suburb of Dayton.

My older sister told me this movie was funny, and that it was by the same person that produced "Kids". So I took her word for it. Big mistake. I didn't crack a smile, and I saw nothing that I thought was remotely humorous in this film.
I wasn't as let down as when I recently watched Erasehead, but Gummo is on my top 5 list of movies that were highly recommended by someone and turned out to be difficult for me to finish watching.

this movie was NOTHING compared to kids, but it had its moments...mostly, they were just funny moments, but only *funny* in a "....wtf?!" sense...the drunk guy hitting on the dwarf was one...the guy having a wrestling match was another...o, and the lines "YOU TRIED TO TOUCH MY SISTERS COOCHIE!!!", "nothin new for trash like you!". i own it...kinda makes me wanna watch it again...or like...at least have it ON while im playin on the computer lol

ps. wtf was up w/the kid dressed like the rabbit???

O man I watched this movie years ago. I thought it was funny as hell, but I knew it wouldnt be for everyone. I would never suggest it to someone else. Its a little too weird for that.

I think this film is better than a lot of people give it credit for, definitely less cliche'd and more powerful than Kids. A lot of people seem to be putting it down for giving them a strong sense of revulsion. I think a film thats able to evoke that kind of response is at least, formally, commendable. I, myself, thought it was a pretty disturbing and realistic picture of "white-trash" America.

LoveAlways said:
O man I watched this movie years ago. I thought it was funny as hell, but I knew it wouldnt be for everyone. I would never suggest it to someone else. Its a little too weird for that.

I don't get whats funny about it. Retarded people being raped? Ha ha ha, how comic. Oh yeah, kids growing up in disgusting, unclean homes, shooting cats for money (to fuck the retarded girl). Now thats just downright hilarious. People amaze me.

funny is subjective. i thought it was pretty funny in parts. some people, myself included, often react to disturbing situations in such a way - it's just one way of dealing with it. why? that's a thread for t&a...

alasdair

alasdairm: I think there's some equivocation involved in what you're saying.

Thinking something is funny is different from reacting to something as if it were funny.

To say, "I think Gummo is funny" is to say you think some non-subjective fact about Gummo exists, namely the quality "funny".

To say, "I reacted to situations portrayed in Gummo in a way similar to how I would react if it were funny" is to say something about your subjective reaction. Its not the same as saying that you think the movie is funny. You can think the movie is "objectively" disturbing, and not funny at all and still react, for instance, by laughing.

There are obviously situations where funny and disturbing co-exist in films - say Dr. Strangelove. But, as far as Gummo's concerned, I think it is pretty obviously not a comedy. If you can cite some sort of evidence, internal to the film, that shows it is a comedy (or as a whole, "funny as hell") then I'll stand corrected. Reminding me that reactions are subjective, however, is largely beside the point when I'm arguing that a specific trait is not in the film and that LoveAlways is mistaken in attributing "funniness" (obviously his reaction) to existing in the film alone.

There are people who think that Platoon was a pro-war movie about "killing gooks" but that doesn't mean that it is, and responding "thats the way I reacted to it" wouldn't be a good argument against someone who points out that the film is actually, much more an anti-war movie.

there certainly is equivocation in what i wrote - it's an opinion. it's as open to interpretation as the subject matter at hand.

i agree, to an extent, that it is "pretty obviously not a comedy" but "a comedy" is just a subjective label. it's entirely possible for movies which are not "comedies" to have comic scenes or moments.

alasdair

ive wanted to watch this film for quite a while now, and finally got a chance a couple weeks ago. disturbing is a good way to summarize this film. alot of it was just random garbage. what a waste :( i expected better...

UltimaWeapon said:
disturbing is a good way to summarize this film. alot of it was just random garbage. what a waste :( i expected better...

Exactly how I felt. ^^This is a pretty good description of how most people probably reacted to the film.

what is this movie about ??? i kinda wanna watch it now even tho everyone has trashed it but ive probably seen plenty worse..
oh and what kind of humor is it ? like wicked stupid shit like he fell of his bike.. give me an example cause i really hate cheesy and shit that u would obv know from common sense one thing i cant stand is someone with no common sense since i have A LOT of it..

oh and about that dude knowing about the tornado there is a news station and a weather channel.. ever seen it or heard of it ?

skywise said:
I don't get whats funny about it. Retarded people being raped? Ha ha ha, how comic. Oh yeah, kids growing up in disgusting, unclean homes, shooting cats for money (to fuck the retarded girl). Now thats just downright hilarious. People amaze me.

deff my type of movie.. now i really wanna watch it !!

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on Kids so I guess I'll ask my question here....

Is Kids still not being distributed in the UK? I know initially they had to cut the final rape scene because there was a sleeping child in the shot. But considering this was a few years back I was wondering if anything had changed.

the movie was retarded to say the least, although I did enjoy watching those two inbreeds punch the shit out of each other.

I thought Gummo was really really good at being an ugly movie and gave it 3 stars.

does anyone remember it playing at dmx's house in Belly?

nas to dmx "man, what tha fuk yall be watchin in this house?"

I have a friend who's been telling me for years that I need to see this movie. He describes it as one of the most disturbing movies he's ever seen - to the point of making it 'funny'. 'Funny' because we grew up in a hilljack, redneck, white trash town that (according to him - I still haven't seen it) has too many similarities to the one portrayed in the film.

This thread has reminded me once again that I need to watch it and I'll post my own thoughts when I do.