• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Good books with no subject

mtu mwendawazimu

Bluelight Crew
Help needed. I have a $150 Amazon gift card.

I don't trust Google.

I don't like self help books.

I don't like religious books.

I don't want a book with a moral or lesson.

Could someone please recommend a book that doesn't circle around one particular idea, but is still interesting and thought provoking?

what do you mean by "no subject"?

surely books, by definition, have a subject?

fiction or non-fiction? or don't care?

alasdair

what do you mean by "no subject"?

surely books, by definition, have a subject?

fiction or non-fiction? or don't care?

alasdair

I guess subject of philosophy? If I had to pick one? But I don't want them to guide me in a direction. I want to make up my own mind

sorry man. i did not register that this was posted in p&s - i thought you were looking for book recommendations more generally.

philosophy books not really my thing...

alasdair

I guess subject of philosophy? If I had to pick one? But I don't want them to guide me in a direction. I want to make up my own mind
'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaarder. It's like a crash course in philosophy crossed with a mystery tale, very original and a phenomenally good read whether or not you're already familiar with the concepts that are being addressed. It also does not tell you what to think, just presents the ideas. Don't be put off by the fact the author aimed it at teenagers / young adults as an introduction to philosophical thought; I'm 28, have extensively read philosophy and still re-read this book. It's just a delight, marvellously told and full of intelligence and humanity.

Also, 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding, another all-time favourite.

Last edited:
Jonothan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. It willprobably take most of a day to read, but you can pick it up and read it any time