• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc GHB + Citric Acid = GBL??

satsumas

Greenlighter
I have an excessively diluted form of GHB and would like to convert to GBL. Understand the presence of a strong acid and time (+optionally heat) will react to form an equilibrium of GHB and GBL per this paper. Trying a tablespoon or two of citric acid in say 300ml of GHB (again, very dilute, probably 0.3-0.5g/mL) and slowly heated in an oven ~200 degrees F.
Any issues with this? Risk of toxic by-products? Other suggestions?

I don't understand 0.3-0.5 g ml isn't that 30-50% that sounds not every dilute at all.

Im not a chemist but id be worried about passing out or causing a fire .

Idk if adding citric acid could somehow make ghb in vapor form at 200 degrees by making more in acid form or if you did make gbl inhalating those vapors knock you out or starting a fire

Why would you convert it?

About the safety, any toxic by -products that were in the GHB. There are different grades I understand ( medical being the highest ). Will determine what will end up in your GBL.

GHB is made by reacting GBL with NaOH ( toxic ) which in the right ammount should all react to form GHB. You measure the PH for this reason. So in theory if you do it backwards an acid like Citric acid( again using the right ratio ) with GHB will create GBL. Which is a liquid btw.

I know if you overshot it with the NaOH, the PH measurement will give info about that. You can then add more GHB, or neutralize the NaOH with Acetic acid ( cooking Vinegar ). And measure the PH again. If citric is strong enough to convert GHB you have to find out yourself, I have no experience with that one. Or with the proces you describe.

Look up some GHB tek's for some chemistry background info on the proces.