• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc GHB addiction and withdrawl

keep it real and keep it measured.

its hard to know what is real and not when your addicted as you often do something and then forget

hence my OD.

abstinence makes the heart grow fonder :)

to be able to use once a week (if you can some can but not many when they have stepped it up)

you must stop and the restart (if your game when you get it done)

when were in the middle of it all we can think about is the loss of the most dear thing we have.

that is the lie that we get from our DOC.

you need food water air shelter and love.

everything else is just icing on the cake and too much icing will have you with teeth like mine.

you will find after long enough time away that it actually does not have the pull that it did.

again you must be ready and no one but you can decide when that is.

My first flirtation's with it were around 2006. so unhurd of would be an exacerbation.

I was a bit head i must admit.
when I was taking it a lot was over 20 years ago.

we were getting the stuff out of south africa for near on nothing and it was not illegal then.

not long before they banned GHB but the pro drug analogs were not.

before that I used to get it pure as the sodium salt at the health food store.

it was sold as a body building supplement and wasn't even considered dangerous.

then we had a lot people mixing it with meth to make fantasy and sell in the clubs.

it didn't take long after that for someone to OD and the ball to start rolling towards prohibition.

truly if used in moderation it is actually very very healthy for you.

but most do not use it in moderation now do we :)

I was addicted to GHB in 1999. First time í had it was maybe in 1995 i think. So definately nothing new about it.

stopping is not quiting as such.

many stop a compound to find that it still rules there life.

like a bad break up you will find your self thinking of it over and over making it harder and harder to resist.

the trick is to learn ways to distract the mind and make new pathways through your brain.

meditation is great if done right.

many think meditation is for relaxation but it really it is for iron will and focus.

you learn to focus on one thing to the exclusion of all others.

this puts new pathways through the brain and if done enough makes the pathways stronger than the others.

when meditating one should always give a little smile and a laugh inside your mind when your mind drifts so as you

do not put negative reinforcement into the thought taking you further from true focus.

this is all great but what about if you have truly burned that drug pathway into your head what then.

you have to forget and let the pathways slowly shrink. you then have to through positive reinforcement put new pathways into the brain.

that means for some that never using again as the pathways are too strong and for others an extended break and then some serious rules

on use.

most try the second and fail so have to go back to total abstinence.

remember there is addiction and there is withdrawal they are different.

addiction is normally stemmed from suffering.

the addict wishes to alleviate there suffering with what ever substance or action they choose.

this then becomes an addiction when the suffering of the addiction is considered better than the original problem that caused the addict to seek relief.

so there are a few steps to cover.

one to remove the source of the original suffering.

two to overcome the withdrawal

and three to remap the brain through positive reinforcement so as not to have the monkey reminding you that you need something you don't :)
Great Post...... from top to bottom.

i bought my first gbl around 2002. at the moment i'm on bdo. when i stop after 3 weeks for some month i normally cant sleep for one day, thats all.

when I was taking it a lot was over 20 years ago.

we were getting the stuff out of south africa for near on nothing and it was not illegal then.

not long before they banned GHB but the pro drug analogs were not.
me too, South africa was the first source after came some other that i will not name.

After that i started by just buying the precursor and making my own. Cheapest drug i ever encountered.

Great Post...... from top to bottom.
My first succeful meditation i had the impression i was doing something totally wrong, scaring event a bit as I got almost complete ego loss with visuals.

Years later i read that is what true meditation is. 'Ohm mani padmi hum eh ghi'

btw, first gbl i heard of came from israel to europe, than there were numoerous others from germany, well overpriced, around 2004 it became available though smaller chemical supply companies for much cheaper. after some raids they vanished and gbl was sold mainly from the netherlands and poland. this is history now and i know of no source selling gbl.

You should never ever quit GHB cold turkey if you've been on it 24/7, it will damage your brain and the seizures can be life-threatening. If you run it would be best to use a combination of benzos + gabapentin/phenibut/pregabalin/baclofen to manage the WDs.
GHB WD brought me into the psychiatry bc of shizophrenic symptoms and they can last 1-2 weeks! Terrible. Needed phenobarbital to stabislise my heart and blood circulation... Try to taper down. IMO not so hard with GHB>

I just posted on a taper program I'm on for methadone, but I was addicted to G for 3 years and devised a taper plan for that as well. I have a biochem background that I tapped for these ideas.

First thing to know the G wd's are two things: GABA-B receptor (agonist) and dopamine. GABA-B is why alcohol helps. But you need some dopamine to feel more normal. I used phenibut, which you will have to order online. I think I posted about that and others have as well. It sounds like your level of addiction is actually low enough that you may be able to take phenibut and feel fantastic all day long. When my addiction was only a few months, I could take phenibut in the morning and feel GREAT for like 18 hours. Forgot all about G. But you've got to be careful not to take it for very long. Read about that.

Baclofen does work OK. I had a strange, strange experience on that. First day I took an amount I won't repeat. I felt FANTASTIC, I mean, like G but on a higher level of awareness I can't even explain. I just knew things before they happened. Then I saw aliens, as in ET's, in astral body form, I was talking to them, went up in a ship with them. Totally lucid but out of body experience. Everything was green and yellow. I was so freaked out I went to the ER afterwards and had them check me out. Twice. They said nothing was wrong. What really made it weird was a few months later I watched Dr. Stephen Greer's CE5 documentary and at one point he describes some kind of high frequency vibration monks would obtain through meditation that advanced ET's have obtained that they use as a technology for traveling, and he added, "some people get themselves into a higher state where they see and interact with them, and everything looks green and yellow." So I either hallunicated, or was intoxicated enough to imposter into an advanced state of consciousness before returning to my everyday blah.

Tapering/structured reduction of use is a good way forward if you have the self control to stick to the plan.
It doesn't have to be huge steps in lowering the dose. Reducing by any amount in a planned progression can help, one it will help keep withdrawal and the dangers of it away some, two it will help you to form new psychological association with your use, in that you build the mentality for stopping or lowering to a level of use you want instead.
Ime often if there isn't the headwork alongside any change to use can lead to relapse should something stressful or emotional happen.
I have this issue with K, after getting to a once every 3 month level i lost a friend and I'm now doing 3.5g IV when i can afford to.
Also meditation, light exercise, healthy food and hydration will help support the reduction.

I come here now, successfully having stopped. :)

Edit: fucked that right up. I managed to stay clean for a day and fight the WDs. Depressive thoughts made me go back for my own safety tbh.

Last edited:
I don't really have insurance, and live in a foreign country, I'm trying to taper down with the G I make, problem is, I did it last week. Spent a whole day successfully off it without getting severe WDs (waking up shaking, feeling sick.) Then I just got bored and ended up dosing up again, now I have to taper back down.

Tolerance builds fast w this stuff!
What I've learned is avoid getting addicted.Pay close attention to dosages per 24 hour clock. Also quit completly from time to time. I quit for 2 weeks and now I'm hoping to re visit ghb in a better way.
My husband will dispense it for me, a proper amount every few days, and he stores the rest away from our house.
G is the only drug I like it's superior to alcohol, I barely drink now. G makes me happy, energetic, kind, mellow, more socialble, creative.
I enjoy vinyl records because of g and now have large collectio.
Hope your g situation gets better too!
It's truly remarkable it can do all that.

GBL withdrawals are no joke, my friend had 2 serious seizures in rehab when they didn't give him the right comfort meds (even though they were giving him subutex and diazepam for H/xanax addiction)

Edit: fucked that right up. I managed to stay clean for a day and fight the WDs. Depressive thoughts made me go back for my own safety tbh.
I hope you've realized that the situation you're in is far more serious than you first thought. Abstaining for 1 day is nothing mate.

You said you were taking 60-70mL a day a couple of weeks ago, before you started the taper. How much are you taking now on an average day?
Ideally you'd want to measure your dose in grams, as a 60mL solution could have anywhere from ~50 to 15g of sodium GHB in it (apologies if you already mentioned the concentration somewhere else).

I really don't think trying to "fight the WDs" is the way to go... I understand that sometimes you just want it to be over as quickly as possible, I get it. That kind of approach can be effective for some types of drugs, unfortunately gabaergics aren't among them.

IMO the safest way, both physiologically and psychologically, is to taper slowly and comfortably. That's the proper way because your brain needs time to regain homeostasis. But until then, your brain will be in a very vulnerable state, the gabaergic system won't work properly and glutamatergic (excitatory) transmission will be in overdrive which is a pretty bad combination.
The rougher the WDs get, the more stress will be put on your brain and that's not a good thing. When/If excitatory neurotransmitters get out of control neurons will start taking a lot of damage (excitotoxicity) and some will even result to killing themselves (via apoptosis).
And as if all of that damage wasn't bad enough, heavy gaba WDs can also "permanently" change your neurochemistry in a bad way, it may cause even more issues in the future (things like hightened anxiety, cognitive issues, various symptoms of mental health, etc.).

I believe that all of those things can make us more prone to self medication and may end up causing multiple relapses, which is precisely what everyone in that situation wants to avoid.
This last part is mostly my opinion (not sure if there's enough data to support this hypothesis) but it's something I've noticed among heavy benzo users who tried to quit too quickly.

So taper slowly but steady, and in the meantime it would likely be a good idea to work on the psychological side of your habit/addiction by creating new healthier&rewarding habits, developing better copping skills and all of that good stuff.

Anyway, those were my 2 cents.

Last edited:
You said you were taking 60-70mL a day a couple of weeks ago, before you started the taper. How much are you taking now on an average day?
Ideally you'd want to measure your dose in grams, as a 60mL solution could have anywhere from ~50 to 15g of sodium GHB in it (apologies if you already mentioned the concentration somewhere else).

I really don't think trying to "fight the WDs" is the way to go... I understand that sometimes you just want it to be over as quickly as possible, I get it. That kind of approach can be effective for some types of drugs, unfortunately gabaergics aren't among them.

IMO the safest way, both physiologically and psychologically, is to taper slowly and comfortably. That's the proper way because your brain needs time to regain homeostasis. But until then, your brain will be in a very vulnerable state, the gabaergic system won't work properly and glutamatergic (excitatory) transmission will be in overdrive which is a pretty bad combination.
The rougher the WDs get, the more stress will be put on your brain and that's not a good thing. When/If excitatory neurotransmitters get out of control neurons will start taking a lot of damage (excitotoxicity) and some will even result to killing themselves (via apoptosis).
And as if all of that damage wasn't bad enough, heavy gaba WDs can also "permanently" change your neurochemistry in a bad way, it may cause even more issues in the future (things like hightened anxiety, cognitive issues, various symptoms of mental health, etc.).

I believe that all of those things can make us more prone to self medication and may end up causing multiple relapses, which is precisely what everyone in that situation wants to avoid.
This last part is mostly my opinion (not sure if there's enough data to support this hypothesis) but it's something I've noticed among heavy benzo users who tried to quit too quickly.

So taper slowly but steady, and in the meantime it would likely be a good idea to work on the psychological side of your habit/addiction by creating new healthier&rewarding habits, developing better copping skills and all of that good stuff.

Anyway, those were my 2 cents.
I follow the rhodium synth, end up with 750ml at 50% NaGHB, then I steam distill most of the GBL off that's leftover. And add back in water to make it finally around 550ml. The good syrupy stuff. I'm taking alot less G now. And using clonazepam to taper when I'm not taking G. Within the next day or so I wanna come off completely then taper with clonaz.

What I've learned is avoid getting addicted.Pay close attention to dosages per 24 hour clock. Also quit completly from time to time. I quit for 2 weeks and now I'm hoping to re visit ghb in a better way.
My husband will dispense it for me, a proper amount every few days, and he stores the rest away from our house.
G is the only drug I like it's superior to alcohol, I barely drink now. G makes me happy, energetic, kind, mellow, more socialble, creative.
I enjoy vinyl records because of g and now have large collectio.
Hope your g situation gets better too!
It's truly remarkable it can do all that.
I love it using it responsibly, it's lost its good effects the way I use it now. I wanna stop for a good while and use it again on weekends. Play some music, enjoy it how I used to, you know. I spent years enjoying it safely and never really buy alcohol because of its superiority.