• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc GHB addiction and withdrawl

basil42

Greenlighter
It's the only drug I like but unfortunately really really like. I was addicted for around 6 months during heavy use. The withdrawal was so severe , spanning approx 3 weeks total. It's so hard to explain in words. I was lucky enough I was able to find medication like seroqeul, ect, benzo's during my withdrawal without a hospital visit. I am a mother and did not go check myself into hospital for fear of the hospital contacting child services as mother is hooked on ghb. My withdrawal was so severe that benzo's were needed or I would have died I felt. From heart attack most likely. I was using ghb for recreation and sleep disorder but it is so addictive for me.
I haven't touched it in 2 weeks and I'm mostly ok but today I had an intense craving . Today I found , looked for , old ghb bottles and licked them even though nothing was in them but the taste was comforting. I had to drink lots of white wine all day / night to forget.
This is mt first aNd only drug adiction experience. .

I have been off work a longtime so lots of time on my hands. That's when I got addicted. I would have to re dose every 3 hours around the clock, to sleep too.
I was a great person on g, super friendly , kind, fun outgoing. My behaviour was never a problem and I didn't g hole/ fall unconcious as I was so careful with doses. But every morning I would get very very nauseus, puking for around an hour each morning. Terrible!!! So that plus the severe withdrawal forced me to quit. As well as I was high 24 / 7 and I'm a mother so that's not ok. That's why I quit, if I weren't a mom, mabye I wouldnt, I love g so much.

I've thought about getting an electronic safe that dispenses my ghb once a day. That way I won't overdo it. I think that's the answer for me.

Last edited:
Hey @basil42. Welcome to Bluelight and thanks for sharing your situation. We have a lot of different forums where you’ll find info on GHB and addiction generally. Here is a good place for general questions about the drug and dealing with it safely.

If you would like to talk about it as a problem, you might also find a lot of support in this forum: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/forums/the-dark-side.47/

Thanks so much, I already feel great just sharing my last post.
Ghb is relatively new , not much known about it.

may I ask basil how much you were taking.

my self I went through about 500 ml of 1,4 BDO with a friend over a few months and found no addiction.

I have heard that if only dosing once a day it is not too bad and the problems come when you continually re-dose every day.

Last edited:
Well I would start with a normal 5 ml dose and redose lower 2 to 3 ml every 3 hours. However my tolerance built and the day I realized I had to quit was when my morning dose was 20 ml or I wouldn't feel anything.

may I ask basil how much you were taking.

my self I went through about 500 ml of 1,4 BDO with a friend over a few months and found no addiction.

I have heard that if only dosing once a day it is not too bad and the problems come when you continually re-dose every day.
You are right about that. Its the redosing that creates addiction.

stopping is not quiting as such.

many stop a compound to find that it still rules there life.

like a bad break up you will find your self thinking of it over and over making it harder and harder to resist.

the trick is to learn ways to distract the mind and make new pathways through your brain.

meditation is great if done right.

many think meditation is for relaxation but it really it is for iron will and focus.

you learn to focus on one thing to the exclusion of all others.

this puts new pathways through the brain and if done enough makes the pathways stronger than the others.

when meditating one should always give a little smile and a laugh inside your mind when your mind drifts so as you

do not put negative reinforcement into the thought taking you further from true focus.

this is all great but what about if you have truly burned that drug pathway into your head what then.

you have to forget and let the pathways slowly shrink. you then have to through positive reinforcement put new pathways into the brain.

that means for some that never using again as the pathways are too strong and for others an extended break and then some serious rules

on use.

most try the second and fail so have to go back to total abstinence.

remember there is addiction and there is withdrawal they are different.

addiction is normally stemmed from suffering.

the addict wishes to alleviate there suffering with what ever substance or action they choose.

this then becomes an addiction when the suffering of the addiction is considered better than the original problem that caused the addict to seek relief.

so there are a few steps to cover.

one to remove the source of the original suffering.

two to overcome the withdrawal

and three to remap the brain through positive reinforcement so as not to have the monkey reminding you that you need something you don't :)

Last edited:
there are many ways to put new pathways into the brain too not just meditation.

think of the psych who teaches there patient to use a rubber band to inflict a small sharp pain on the wrist to distract the person.

feeling both emotional and physical will make the pathways you create deeper and more permanent.

drugs are both emotional and physical so you can see the problem of trying to find something to overcome this.

this is also one of the reasons that addicts that use for decades find it harder to quit than some who used for 6 months.

the pathways are burned in deeper over time and repeated use.

Last edited:
You should never ever quit GHB cold turkey if you've been on it 24/7, it will damage your brain and the seizures can be life-threatening. If you run it would be best to use a combination of benzos + gabapentin/phenibut/pregabalin/baclofen to manage the WDs.

Be careful if you plan on taking GHB again on a regular basis, you might experience the kindling effect due to your previous WD (physical dependency would begin much quicker and the WDs would be more severe each time).

Physical dependency is not the same as addiction (though they often go hand in hand). But in any case, one should never get into the habit of redosing multiple times a day, that's a recipe for disaster.
A new user who hasn't previously been physically addicted to gabaergic drugs (and gone through WD) may be able to use GHB once or even twice a day for quite a while without becoming dependent due to its short half-life.

I have PM'd you, I just made some more GHB, I'm going through the same ATM waking up sick and I sometimes swear and if it's one substance I know alot about throughout years of experimentation and almost dying a few times it's GHB.

You should never ever quit GHB cold turkey if you've been on it 24/7, it will damage your brain and the seizures can be life-threatening. If you run it would be best to use a combination of benzos + gabapentin/phenibut/pregabalin/baclofen to manage the WDs.

Be careful if you plan on taking GHB again on a regular basis, you might experience the kindling effect due to your previous WD (physical dependency would begin much quicker and the WDs would be more severe each time).

Physical dependency is not the same as addiction (though they often go hand in hand). But in any case, one should never get into the habit of redosing multiple times a day, that's a recipe for disaster.
A new user who hasn't previously been physically addicted to gabaergic drugs (and gone through WD) may be able to use GHB once or even twice a day for quite a while without becoming dependent due to its short half-life.

I agree with this depending on how much gaba agent you have had and for how long.

hence the if you quit see a doctor.

this place is great for moral support but only a doctor will be able to monitor you properly.

I don't really have insurance, and live in a foreign country, I'm trying to taper down with the G I make, problem is, I did it last week. Spent a whole day successfully off it without getting severe WDs (waking up shaking, feeling sick.) Then I just got bored and ended up dosing up again, now I have to taper back down.

Tolerance builds fast w this stuff!

if you can stay a few days without then your probably not at the dangerous point.

I was using 15 to 20ml a day and stopped cold turkey (still not a lot)

if you got bored and used you don't want to quit.

come back when your ready and ask for help otherwise you will program your self to

fail and that is worse than the addiction.

its all or nothing if you have an addiction then in time maybe (not many can though I have)

you can use on the rare occasion.

discipline self respect and honesty are whats needed.

when your ready you will find all three.

if you can stay a few days without then your probably not at the dangerous point.

I was using 15 to 20ml a day and stopped cold turkey (still not a lot)

if you got bored and used you don't want to quit.

come back when your ready and ask for help otherwise you will program your self to

fail and that is worse than the addiction.

its all or nothing if you have an addiction then in time maybe (not many can though I have)

you can use on the rare occasion.

discipline self respect and honesty are whats needed.

when your ready you will find all three.
I was doing 10ml shots every few hours a week or so ago. Probably like 60-70ml a day. I'd do so much I'd feel sick on it and sick without it.

It took tapering down to get to the levels I am at now.

You're right that my heart isn't quite into quitting yet, some fucked up stuff is going on ATM and I guess GHB is my form of unhealthy escapism I need to deal with still.

I'm sure I'll be ready in the next few weeks as I'm planning alot of projects that'll keep me busy! But I need to wait until a certain time so I can start them. So I guess I'm just getting high until then.

It's just good to be able to be down to a level where I don't wake up feeling like dying being sick and mentally fucked too until I take a shot, at one point when tapering down I considered going hospital for benzos but instead I just slowed down my taper instead of completely halving my doses.

I've done alot of different drugs, I've never had the withdrawals I have had from GHB, they are hard to match, but when used responsibly, I find it a great drug.

For most of my life I used it responsibly (I've done it since around 16)

It's only been recently I've used it heavily. I kinda stopped doing dissociatives like ketamine and 3-MeO-PCP which kept me from feeling terrible. Then replaced it with the GHB I had, which was a terrible idea. It isn't something I abused before. Anyways, in the next few weeks it's time to work my way off, finally.

you are ready my friend when your ready and do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

it is your right to put in your body what every you choose so long as it does not hurt others.

70ml is a lot.

it was two doses of 25ml in a hour spacing that had me wake up in ER.

if you let people push you when your not ready it will not work take your time be happy.

life is yours not there's :) they are just part of the play that envelops you for in reality you are the

only thing that is real. stress not when its time its time.

well done.

I've done alot of different drugs, I've never had the withdrawals I have had from GHB, they are hard to match, but when used responsibly, I find it a great drug.

For most of my life I used it responsibly (I've done it since around 16)
That can be said about all the drugs. Obviously it's not a great drug for you. You've gone way past the responsible use.

That can be said about all the drugs. Obviously it's not a great drug for you. You've gone way past the responsible use.
Ideally, I'd stop for a few months before ever considering use again, probably in a time where life is enjoyable rather than on a downer!

It's certainly not something I want to stop using forever. It's also something I definitely don't want to do more than once a weekend at most.