• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Get to know your neighbo(u)rs from across the pond

Hahahaha. Yeah mushy peas is kinda pea soup but with more peas, and less soup. Processed first then ruthlessly boiled into mush. It's tastier than it sounds, honest!

Bass is it? Bit of ginger, fennel ( Anise? ) and a few spring onions ( Scallions? ) with a handful of coriander ( Cilantro? ) here or there, all wrapped up in foil or greaseproof paper then baked off in the oven? Or a flounder dusted in seasoned flour and lightly grilled, with a squeeze of lemon? Could eat that. I can feel a cookery thread coming on, but you see the difficulty we have following american recipes, let alone measuring everything in cups? WTF is a cup? Big one, small one, pint pot? We need it in grams. Get with the metric like the rest of the world FFS! ;)

Last edited:
I cook it in foil with peppers, onions, carrots, zucchini, squash, and then season with lemon, butter, and dab of hot sauce, and black pepper. I cook the flounder and striper the same, although the striper is a lot thicker so takes a little longer.

Pea soup is really thick, so I'm not getting the difference between the soup and mush. :)

Pea soup is really thick, so I'm not getting the difference between the soup and mush. :)

Hmmmmm. How to explain? O.K. . . . You've seen Close Encounters right, where Richard Dreyfuss takes a spoonful of mash and sculpts it with a fork into the shape of Devil's Tower? Can you do that with your soup? Can you construct scale models of geographical features several inches high with soup? No, I suspect you can't. :p

Mushy peas you cook at home come in a can, and you take the lid off, hopefully with a proper modern rotary type tin opener cos the old type tin openers where you just hack and saw round the lid are useless for this particular task, then you hold the can about 4 feet above the pan you're intending to cook 'em in, then throw yer arm down really fast. If you get the acceleration and trajectory right it will come out in a perfect can-shaped cylinder you have to smash with a spoon before you put it on the gas, assuming you've hit the pan and not smashed it all over yer kitchen that is.

Are you beginning to understand? ;)

If it's cold, I can sculpt with it, but once I heat it it becomes less thick.

We have mash potatoes here, so I will just take it that they are the same, only with peas instead of potatoes.

Edit: Which then begs the question, in this song (although a joke), is he talking about mashed peas, or potatoes?

Last edited:
WTF is a cup? Big one, small one, pint pot? We need it in grams. Get with the metric like the rest of the world FFS! ;)

We've been stubborn and unreasonable for long enough at this point, might as well hold out a little longer! A cup is 1/4 of a quart, and a quart is roughly a liter (litre), so 1/4 liter I suppose. Almost as easy as remembering there's 5280 feet in a mile. Pshhh, Europe trying to confuse us with that pesky metric system again... 1000 meters in a kilometer? What kind of sense does that make? lol

Mushy peas are well buff. With a nice pickled egg. Oh yeah.

Would this be an accurate representation of said peas?

DSCN062k3.JPG

Blasphemy,Ricky Gervais not only wrote the hugely successful show but his character David Brent is one of the funniest characters I have ever seen.
The Office was either loved or loathed by people. For me I thought David Brent was such a great character.
I also like the US version but it's just not as good as the original.

I have always wanted to know why Americans say 'erb' instead of 'herb'.
We say herb garden but you seem to say 'erb garden'.
Why is this as the h in herb isn't silent?

I have always wanted to know why Americans say 'erb' instead of 'herb'.
We say herb garden but you seem to say 'erb garden'.
Why is this as the h in herb isn't silent?

Jamaican influence. I've not known a Jamaican yet who didn't smoke 'erb in preference to herb(s). ;)

Or alternatively, it's possibly the influence of the French on the language. French pronunciation lacks the voiced H, it being mute in this instance. The English took the word from the French as it was pronounced, pronouncing it 'erb also, later becoming a bit more pedantic about spelling pronunciation English requiring the voicing of the H. Spelling pronunciation English is peculiarly English ((( I know, go figure! :lol: ))) and quite a recent invention relatively speaking as far as the parting of the ways via the Atlantic goes, hence it didn't make much of an impression on the Americans.

Last edited:
Not sure where it's from, but the "H" is silent in several words. Do you guys pronounce the "H" in the word hour?

^ Yea, I was just pointing out that there are some other common words that have a silent "H" at the beginning.

Not sure where it's from, but the "H" is silent in several words. Do you guys pronounce the "H" in the word hour?

No. But then I'm northern. We drop H's as a matter of course. Not that Cockneys are any better at it you understand? The H there would not sound right to an English speaker north or south, or either side of the pond? :?

You can kinda tell 'hour' starts with a vowel sound cos we use 'an' in front of it? 'A hour' just sounds daft to English speakers. It's perhaps a slightly different case though? I'd have to spend a bit of time on why that might be so. Probably one of those idiosyncratic exceptions that prove the rule? It's proving difficult to find a quick explanation. Good pick! :p

Kind of odd this has come up. On my other main forum of interest we're well deep into the origins of daft rules like split infinitives, prepositions at the end of sentences and conjunctives at the start of one. Weird synchronicity type thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, and if I were speaking of herbs in the singular I would say "an herb". I was always taught the h in that word IS silent. For example if you see a child reading a menu or something and they ask "herbs and spices, what is a herb?" someone would almost surely correct them and say "no the h is silent it's pronounced 'urbs' ".

The 'h' in herb is not silent whether in the singular or plural. The word is herb,no such thing as 'erb.
This is how it is taught in english language classes in english schools.

The 'h' in herb is not silent whether in the singular or plural. The word is herb,no such thing as 'erb.
This is how it is taught in english language classes in english schools.

Good thing I didn't go there
I've seen what them english schools can do to people...
NSFW:
TheWall3.jpg

Just another brick in the wall, motherfucker