• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Geodon antipsychotic

BurritoJimmy

Bluelighter
So a couple nights ago I woke up in panic heart rate 150, chest pain, full body shaking, barely able to speak. Drove to the ER and they wanted to give me Geodon. I refused after I looked it up that it was for schizophernia and waited for my blood tests and EKG. Is this drug effective for panic attacks? Any experiences good or bad someone would care to share? I might try it next time if I'm in that sort of state but was wary since these are not psychotic episodes I have.

Geodon for anxiety? Not the best, even among it's class (2nd gen. antipsychotics) for anxiety. Unless there's a psychotic component. Even zyprexa, risperidone would have been better; if they're so adamant about benzos, Vistaril or Atarax is a good option; however there may have been reason why they felt you needed Geodon, depending on your state of mind, they may have been right, can't possibly tell you that here. Typically the medical staff do know what they're doing; sometimes though when there are (recreational) drugs involved and so forth some professionals do get some funny ideas, but as I said, it's hard to tell. The decision on what to give you in the ER is going to be driven by your behavior; and if you are being offered Geodon, you're probably looking agitated. Sometimes it will be given together with Ativan which is a decent combo in acute agitation also quite sedating. But alone, for anxiety alone, not so much, for emergent behavioral control/psychotic agitation, it's a decent choice, but I usually see it used with Ativan, or sometimes, when it is or is thought to be desirable to avoid benzodiazeines, Benadryl or Atarax.

Thx i figured it wasnt a great choice and i think they were agitated that i walked in without filling anything out. They asked about drugs multiple times which i hadnt had so maybe they didnt believe me.