• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Generic vs. Name Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ could be different absorption rates that makes them feel different, the bar may get digested differently/faster or something and it also depends on the inactives on how well/fast a pill is digested and makes it to the bloodstream. or like you said, could be placebo.

I never noticed any difference in ANY drugs ive taken (vicodin, adderall, xanax) in terms of decrease in effectivness.

Honestly I think its placebo but everyones different.

Generics are usually be as good as the brand names,depending on who you get them from... The recipes must fall +/- FDA guidelines.
best thing is to have a good reliable place that you get them from

Anyone remember the old school generic Percocet 5/325 from the 90's ..well if you got the name brand then you got 5/325. I forget the generic name, but you got 4.5/325 in stead of 5/325 with the generic. So yes ..a small % is allowed to be off. Just like the name brand Lortabs have the little green specs mixed in ..those always are some fresh hydrocodone ..way better than any generic hydrocodone like watson m361 ect ...

A couple things...
First, I am a first time poster (long time on and off lurker), I have read the FAQs but still apologize if I do something wrong here.

1. In regards to Mylan Xanax, my psychiatrist has told me that he has heard many complaints about this generic & to avoid it. I also feel that it is not as potent even before being told this. Just my experience.

2. If generics can vary a certain percentage in strength (my doc said I believe 2-5% +/-), wouldn't it be possible to get stronger generics than the brand name? I get that this probably wouldn't happen (cost the manufacturers more) and assume it would most likely vary by batch, but it is something I've always been curious about. I guess there would really be no way to know beforehand?

3. I have a friend, who admittedly is a bit "odd" (for lack of better word) about random things, and one of these things is that she will only take her Adderall brand name (I am not certain who makes this; I think it's Shire but heard the patent was sold to Barr somewhere). She swears brand name alleviates the "crash" (headache/crankiness) from coming off Adderall. This is IR Adderall by the way and yes, we are both legitimately prescribed this. Is there any validity in this generic/brand name "superstition" she has? I did try to UTFSE on this one and couldn't find much helpful. I'd rather stick with my cheaper generics as all evidence says if there is any difference it isn't worth paying the extra $$ for. I've tried time and time again to tell this friend all the stuff about the FDA allowances, yada yada, but she truly swears the brand name is the only way to go. Maybe you more experienced folks would have an answer.

I always farted on generic mirtazapine, now that I have the brand Norset, problem solved. So it's a mixed bag, so to speak.

MYLAN Brand Clonazepam is weeker then other generic Klonopin IMO.... a buddy gave me a few of his generics which were not MYLAN, and I personally felt a difference for the better.... Anyone else feel this way about MYLAN?

subutex brand vs generic

Does anyone notice a difference between these two meds.

There is lots of discussion of this in the sub mega threads that are perpetually on the front page so please read through those and if your question isn't addressed, discuss in there.

sorry, cane, i merged it into the generic vs brand name thread. double teamed the shit out of that.

i need a shower now.

If we're going to double team without my consent, at least let my choose my port of entry next time. You know I prefer backdoor. Dick

Generic Xanax Manufacturer Reviews

I am prescribed the .5 alprazolam, I have tried all different pharmacies and brands available here. (of course I have done other MG pills but I'm referring to the .5's. I do not snort xanax anymore.

scale of 1-10 10 being the best

Pfizer: The real xanax, pink footballs score: 10

Greenstone: seems to work very well, Pfizer's very own generic, identical in quality, pink footballs. score: 10

Purpac Actavis: I believe this is a brand only available at walgreens, it is round with an R on it, they work pretty well. score:8

Qualitist: Not impressed, taste very weird, rubbery taste when snorted and pills seems to crumble into dust after its in a bottle for a few weeks. pink footballs. score: 5

Dava: Very big in size, yellow, and don't work worth a shit. Score 4

Sandoz: Very cheap pills, crumble in pieces if they are kept in a bottle for more than a week, they work decently (the 1mg ones are superior). Score 6

Mylan: Hard to come across, seems to be a walmart thing, also a very cheap generic, round pill, they dissolve very fast in your mouth and taste awful, do not snort these. Score 7

Any other input on generic xanax?

honestly, i've never noticed any differences between brand and generic for pretty much any type of medication, with the one exception being all the oc generics (and now I guess ethex generic would be better than brand... oh yea, and the polymer matrix patches vs the gel, but can u even get gel in those any more?) but anyway, with regards to regular old pills like percs, hydros, benzos, etc., i have no preference bt any of them. 2mg klonopin = 2mg clonazepam any brand; 10 mg norco = 10 mg hydro/325 apap any brand; and so on.. i really think the differences in regular ir pills (brand v. generic or generic v. generic) are negligible, and most perceived lessened or increased effects are placebo, for various reasons subjective to the user.

i find the generic brand is actully better when i get my zolpidem script but when it comes to benzos rouche are by far the best brand.

Generic Opana (Oxymorphone) V. Brand Name Opana - Insufflation Difference?

As the thread suggestions... I am currently on pain management for heavy chronic breakthrough pain. I am scripted a large amount of opana IR and ER - I believe the rules say I cannot state exactly how much, but it is over 100mg daily.

My pharmacist believes he is doing me a favor by switching my brand name opana IR to generics to save me money. Anyway, to the question:

Is there any difference between the brand name oxymorphone and the generic oxymorphone IRs? I do snort them for breakthrough pain, this is a *very* important factor for me.

If the generics gel up or are not as effective to snort, I will alert the pharmacist that I prefer the brand name. The difference in co-pay is negligible. This is not a big deal to me if the brand-names are what I am looking for, and the generics are not. I was not able to find the answer online or on bluelight's search engine.

Thank you for your time and effort in helping me. I would appreciate an answer ASAP as my next meeting with my pain management doctor is on this coming tuesday (15th).

Chainer

i pay half a pack of cigarettes for 150 1mg kpins a month :)
generics are great, and anyone who says that brand is better, its all placebo effect.
but all the money i save on all my generics gets used to pay for my suboxone script.. i just can't win..

some drugs actually do vary. sometimes one is better than the other

A couple things...
First, I am a first time poster (long time on and off lurker), I have read the FAQs but still apologize if I do something wrong here.

1. In regards to Mylan Xanax, my psychiatrist has told me that he has heard many complaints about this generic & to avoid it. I also feel that it is not as potent even before being told this. Just my experience.

2. If generics can vary a certain percentage in strength (my doc said I believe 2-5% +/-), wouldn't it be possible to get stronger generics than the brand name? I get that this probably wouldn't happen (cost the manufacturers more) and assume it would most likely vary by batch, but it is something I've always been curious about. I guess there would really be no way to know beforehand?

3. I have a friend, who admittedly is a bit "odd" (for lack of better word) about random things, and one of these things is that she will only take her Adderall brand name (I am not certain who makes this; I think it's Shire but heard the patent was sold to Barr somewhere). She swears brand name alleviates the "crash" (headache/crankiness) from coming off Adderall. This is IR Adderall by the way and yes, we are both legitimately prescribed this. Is there any validity in this generic/brand name "superstition" she has? I did try to UTFSE on this one and couldn't find much helpful. I'd rather stick with my cheaper generics as all evidence says if there is any difference it isn't worth paying the extra $$ for. I've tried time and time again to tell this friend all the stuff about the FDA allowances, yada yada, but she truly swears the brand name is the only way to go. Maybe you more experienced folks would have an answer.

my teva 15mg generics do give less of a crash i believe than my old sandoz 10mg tabs (ir)....but the sandoz seemed better, like they provided more euphoria.. one of the 10's felt stronger than the 15

Status
Not open for further replies.