• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc GBL for recovering alcoholic?

Well cycle it to stop the side effects of pregabalin but sure take GBL to get a little high once in a while would be nice. But if my anxiety is better I wouldn't worry about getting hooked as I didn't last time and never found it hard to resist.

Everyone has already told you that GBL has a high chance of either causing you to relapse on alcohol or become dependent on the GBL itself. It sounds like you're trying to justify using GBL even though you know it isn't a good idea, and you want someone to convince you otherwise. Your idea to cycle the drugs might sound good in theory, but I'd be willing to bet the reality would be different than how you imagine it. Remember, these drugs cause loss of inhibition and impaired judgment, so what you're telling yourself now wouldn't necessarily be the same as when you have the drugs in your system. If the side effects from Pregabalin are that bad, speak with your doctor about changing the dosage or trying a different medication.

Everyone has already told you that GBL has a high chance of either causing you to relapse on alcohol or become dependent on the GBL itself. It sounds like you're trying to justify using GBL even though you know it isn't a good idea, and you want someone to convince you otherwise. Your idea to cycle the drugs might sound good in theory, but I'd be willing to bet the reality would be different than how you imagine it. Remember, these drugs cause loss of inhibition and impaired judgment, so what you're telling yourself now wouldn't necessarily be the same as when you have the drugs in your system. If the side effects from Pregabalin are that bad, speak with your doctor about changing the dosage or trying a different medication.
This

True I guess I was, I was really looking for a scientific reason behind it. Such as how GBL works so well to alcohol and would cause relapse more indeph. As I used GBL before without getting addicted, but true I guess. But like I said I was looking for a scientific reasoning why GBL/GHB could cause an alcohol relapse, being high on it is like being high on weed and drinking cause your panicky. Guess no one does know for sure it's all just guess work. Putting stuff aside, is there any scentific proof or reasoning GBL would cause an alcoholic relapse into alcohol. I guess that's what I'm looking for as I always go by scentific data if it's there. I guess it's not out there and if I do take GBL ever again it will be a risk.
Say all anxiety gone due to medication working, benzo addiction gone would GBL cause an alcoholic relapse to start drinking alcohol again. That's all I'm looking for as I don't know how it would perhaps that's why I keep rephrasing the question.
I drank for anxiety, and had to keep drinking to stop the major withdrawals I didn't keep drinking just for anxiety. But despite the withdrawlals were awful, quitting in itself was easy, will power wise not to drink again. You don't want to when you know what it will cause.
Sorry for keeping asking, no one has to reply I'm just looking for a reason GBL will cause alcohol relapse, GBL lowering inhibitions aside.
But maybe your right, I'm looking for someone to say what I want them to. I just don't see how it would make me drink again just because it's a GABA drug. Sorry if I annoyed anyone.

Last edited:
U think Gbl feels like weed?i think me and you didn't drink the same Gbl. Lol..Gbl is so much different, much superior high

U want to know why Gbl will cause a relapse?its quite easy, it makes you very high, a much finer tuned buzz than alcohol..you once were addicted to alcohol so it's just common sense that you wil also develop an addiction to Gbl..

GBL may increase anxiety or even create a anxiety disorder via a kindling effect. This may result from a repeated withdrawal cycle or disruption to the stress response system. This cycle of using has been linked to an increased likelihood of relapse in recovering alcoholics. Repeatedly chemically stimulating and down regulating specific regions within the brain which also modulate the production of GABA is linked with an increased possibility of relapse in recovering alcoholics. Taking an illicit drug that activates the same region of the brain that alcohol effects can lead to relapse if not properly managed. This relationship is well accepted within the medical field. I would also imagine that the long term cognitive effects from using sedatives or GBL may also put a person at a higher risk of relapse if they are in recovery. Studies have found that those previously addicted to benzodiazepines had a reduction in their symptoms of stress and irritability as well they felt generally healthier and happier after 6 months of abstinence. The same could be said for those previously addicted to GBL. If smoking has been linked to a higher risk of relapse for those in recovery imagine what GBL could do.

Say all anxiety gone due to medication working, benzo addiction gone would GBL cause an alcoholic relapse to start drinking alcohol again. That's all I'm looking for as I don't know how it would perhaps that's why I keep rephrasing the question.
I drank for anxiety, and had to keep drinking to stop the major withdrawals I didn't keep drinking just for anxiety. But despite the withdrawlals were awful, quitting in itself was easy, will power wise not to drink again. You don't want to when you know what it will cause.
Sorry for keeping asking, no one has to reply I'm just looking for a reason GBL will cause alcohol relapse, GBL lowering inhibitions aside.
But maybe your right, I'm looking for someone to say what I want them to. I just don't see how it would make me drink again just because it's a GABA drug. Sorry if I annoyed anyone.

There are too many variables in an individual for us to say whether GBL would or wouldn't cause an alcoholic to relapse. I stopped drinking about four years ago, but have messed with other GABAergics since then (GHB, benzos, Phenibut). None of these drugs made me relapse on alcohol, however it's safe to say that I developed an unhealthy use pattern with them as well, on par or worse than with alcohol.

You stopped drinking somewhere along the line because you recognized the negatives outweighed the positives. Do you think GBL is going to be any different? It's a remarkably similar drug, and whether it makes you drink alcohol again is irrelevant. I think it's fair to say most alcoholics are trying to medicate some symptom(s) (in your case, anxiety), so in that sense, the alcohol is actually the solution, not the problem. Alcohol, GBL, benzos, whatever the drug is, they all mask symptoms, but don't treat the underlying cause.

Have you ever considered trying something besides drugs to help with anxiety? Drugs/alcohol are an easy solution because there's no effort in taking something to make you feel better, but most of the time, when the drugs are gone, you're still left with the same or even worse symptoms than before. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd challenge you to find a different way to handle your anxiety - exercise, meditation, therapy, arts, crafts, music, etc., you get the idea. Get creative - drugs are great, but they're not the only way to cope.

I got hooked on alcohol due to not being on the right medication, I tried GBL before and didn't get hooked. I got hooked due to lack of medication. I have tried other way for anxiety but drugs at a young age ruined my mind, so it's perm over stimulated tbh, I'm only thinking of using GBL in 6 months or so if ever for a downer or comedown drug.
I drank for anxiety, so I'm guessing if that anxiety is gone I can't drink alcohol but I can other GABA drugs. As I wasn't hooked on GBL before when I used it alot, and that I wasn't in love with alcohols effect other than anxiety numbing.
I do admit I've been taking kratom daily as it helps anxiety, not saying I might do to much so you may have a point. I just don't want it to start alcohol addiction.

Last edited:
In the long run it's better to stay óff gabaergics. Many people who are clean for a while feel better.

I also had to deal with anxiety, panic attacks, shizophrenia and other fun stuff and was addicted to benzos for about six years.

Was addicted to alcohol for a few months (bottle of everclear daily) which was easy to quit because i dont like to be really drunk and I was on benzos at the same time.

Everytime i got a bottle of gbl i used it 24/7 and couldnt quit before the bottle was empty.
These were my affairs with gabaergic drugs, benzos being a real problem with full blown withdrawals. (in comparison tapering my 4 year opioid addiction has been walk in the park).

Now i'm clean óff of benzos for 7 years (except a few times inbetween) and I feel way better and dont need benzos anymore.

I go to therapie, take no more drugs (except 4 times opioids in the last half year, cigarettes and sometimes alcohol) and got my shit together.

But that will probably be not an option for you at the moment.

I'm on pregabalin to help my anxiety and to aid benzo tampering. Just looking for something I can use on and off, and as an alternative to alcohol. And to ease a comedown, I can't use benzos as I'll be a recovering benzo addict soon.