• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Gassy pain in gut after psychedelics

I have this problem too on lots of psychs, but it's always during the come-up and it usually passes before the peak. I dunno, maybe the gut microbiota are tripping too and are producing too much methane in their excitement? Years of psychedelic use changes gene expression to evolve a more flatus-worthy colon flora? 8(

I thought everyone got gas. It's pretty mild for me, luckily, though occasionally not.

It’s clearly not as simple as that though, how is simple receptor agonism causing gas? I rarely if ever get nausea so I think I’ll try simethicone first and then ondansetron if that fails. I’ll keep you updated.

If peristalsis is affected such that sugar reaches the large intestine, gas is produced. Normally all of the sugar should be absorbed in the small intestine; normally some sugars that can't be digested (FODMAPs) cause gas, but if you're on psychedelics you might mess up your intestinal contractions or something. When bacteria ferment glucose it just produces carbon dioxide and methane, so no smell.

My best guess to prevent it: restrict/eliminate starch intake in the lead-up (~6 hrs) to a psychedelic journey.

Ondansetron is a miracle cure. Not had gas once since I started using it when tripping! Best taken 10 minutes before if possible.

A (not too hot) hot-water bag on the belly speeds up the gas process quit good. Also its really comfy for coming down, if girl friend is not around.

hahaha "highschool" was just a hostorical timeframe reference; I didn't learn to do it solely for the purpose of doing while at school :p but yes, I can either just swallow mouthfuls of air (really just forcing it past the sphincter muscles in your throat), or actually use my diaphragm to "inhale" the air into my stomach. It's gross, I know, but it is what it is hahaha

I learnt to do exactly the same, in middleschool! Some people learnt it too and were doing massive burp contests! Haha

I don't have the gas problem on psychs. I only got it on MPA.

When I want to fart I noticed that lying down made the farts come more easily, even if I'm not entirely sure of this. Maybe putting your ass in a higher position than your intestines could also help. Lol

I experience this as well. Attributed it to my IBS combined with a sometimes-awful diet, but I was just guessing. I'm glad to hear there's meds you can take for it! It's quite uncomfortable and, yes, painful sometimes. I find it to be worse on mushrooms but my last acid trip was up there as well. It's like carrying a cinder block around in your large intestine for 3 hours.

Some ginger tea with lemon might help ?

I've never experienced this but if I did the first thing I'd think of is diet. Not necessarily of the day of the trip but in general.

This is something I've been getting for some time now, which I get to varying degrees on all psychedelics without any obvious pattern.

Towards the end of the trip I get bad intestinal gas which is uncomfortable sometimes to the point of pain. It usually takes an hour or two until I manage to get some huge odourless farts out and then it's gone.

Obviously this can really ruin a trip so I'm keen to understand why it's happening and what I can do to prevent it.

It's seemingly unrelated to diet, stomach contents, drug, time of day and is clearly a direct effect of psychedelics. I do not understand how psychedelics are even able to cause this but I'm pretty desperate to prevent it.

There are some others who get the same thing but I can't find any answers online.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14611830

I rarely get this but recently when I took some AL-LAD I got it really bad for a couple of hours... it felt like there were sharp objects moving around in my gut. Pretty unpleasant, it was also accompanied by a bit of cold sweat and overall became pretty alarming for a bit. I even felt like I could feel gas bubbles in my chest, sides, and upper legs, it was weird. It didn't ruin the trip at all, but it made a couple of hours pretty unpleasant. It was actually right around the peak that it started happening. Oddly enough, whenw e went out to a show later and started dancing it went away but I don't remember farting.

Take this carefully, since I dropped out/flunked from a Pharmacology MSc program in 1989. Here is a link to look at if anyone is interested, and then I'll explain some of my thoughts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7904629

For about 4 years (before I started taking psychs on a regular basis as of February/2012) I knew a lot of people that would GI distress/upset as a result of using these classes of drugs. Acid reflux, stomach pains, gas, bloating, diarrhea and general GI distress

Well, as I said, I dropped out of Pharmacology in 1989, but always was aware/suspect of a relationship between H2 acid secretion and the dopaminergic system/receptor population (all the way from the stomach and on into the intestines. I've never just believed that 'mushrooms poison you' or that 'mushroom tissue was hard to digest'. I've been eating food mushrooms since I was ~10 yrs old.

When I started taking Cubensis mushrooms in February/2012 I would get horrible GI upset that would manifest well into the day after tripping. It felt like twirling razor blades in the stomach. And for me, 4-HO-DiPT acts like a poison and causes a 3 day sickness. 4-AcO-DMT had a somewhat similar effect, and the same with LSZ and AL-LAD (that's it. that's all the psychs I've taken)

I started taking an H2 inhibitor in order to combat the nausea/discomfort from mushrooms (Ranitidine; the only one I could get without a prescription) and it worked. Nausea, vomiting, gas bloating and stomachy discomfort gone. I took 75 mg approximately 1-2 hours before I would dose with a psych. I looked up the time to peak plasma level of the H2 blockers and decided on the 2 hour period.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the psychs are stimulating acid secretion and *decreasing* intestinal motility. which was the cause of a lot of my discomfort.Ranitidine stimulates GI motility by increasing the amount of acetylcholinesterase available to bind smooth muscle muscarinic cholinergic receptors. It also stimulates colonic smooth muscle contraction in cats through a cholinergic mechanism.

Taking Ranitidine helped me greatly. The only other solution I had was to trip once a week on a regular basis and this would slowly lessen, but not eliminate discomfort. There's probably a good reason for this on a pharmacological basis, but like I said, I withdrew/flunked out. A 24 hour fast prior to dosing with a psych would also lessen problems, but I kinda like eating. I also think an extremely high fibre diet might help.

The link I've given is a reference to an abstract that would seem to support what I've said. It's pretty easy to pull up all kinds of scientific papers which show a strong dopaminergic influence on the digestive tract. Some of what I've posted is a copy/paste from stuff I've pulled of the net. Some of it is lecture material I sort of internalized almost 30 years agp

Some OTC H2 blockers are

Axid AR
Pepcid AC
Tagamet HB
Zantac 75 (this is the only non prescription one I can get)

So in my opinion it's not just acid secretion, but intestinal motility as well.

Tom

Transform - I don't know if you get this kind of stomach upset on Phenethylamines as well; I've never tried them and don't intend on it (hypertension on my end). I also take a beta blocker, calcium channel blocker and smooth muscle relaxer (these are prescribed) that keeps my hypertension well controlled. Hope this helps someone

I got this for my first 10 or so LSD trips. It's no fun but it get's worse because you can't focus on anything else but it.

There's no way to be absolutely sure, but I think it has to do with diet. I changed my diet and the gas went away. I never got it again in years of usage. Another reason I think this is because you definitely get more negative effects in the body (load, etc) from living and unhealthy lifestyle. That is something I am absolutely certain on from the collection of thousands of anecdotal reports from people I have known. But the gas is a more finicky one.

I would be sure to eat a healthy diet, but I have a hunch that proper fiber intake could be a problem here. The feeling you describe is very similar to being constipated. You have gas, but the exit is blocked up. The vast majority of people (disgustingly) always have old shit caking the walls of their colon. You can get this out by eating a large amount of fiber at once. Drink plenty! of water when you do. You can drink a smoothie with plenty of leafy greens or just take some psyllium.

I wish you the best, it definitely a bum-mer :)