• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Gardening in General

Gardening
I'm getting eaten to shit in the garden atm. If it's not mosquitos, it's ticks (found 2 of them on me) or nasty fuckers like deer flies. i had one continually dive bomb my face for days before it bit me right thru my t-shirt. i now have a number of ugly welts on my back itchy as heck even with hydrocortisone cream.

deer flies are pretty cool looking tho:

0_Deer-fly-eye-Close-up.jpg

Twin-lobed_deer-fly.jpg

Cracking photos mate.

Their bites are so nasty because they have serrated mouth parts so they rip your flesh rather than just piercing it. This leaves you wide open to infections.

Exif-JPEG-420.jpg

Cactus Lane is clearly in need of some maintenance. I'll get on it in the Spring. I have a lot of cuttings (including a 5ft Peruvianus I got for next to nothing!) waiting to be planted when the weather starts warming up.

Exif-JPEG-420.jpg

A few succulents I just put in soil, a couple of Echinopsis mutants, a Pachycereus Pringleii and some khat plants I'm trying not to eat.

Last edited:
Exif-JPEG-420.jpg

Cactus Lane is clearly in need of some maintenance. I'll get on it in the Spring. I have a lot of cuttings (including a 5ft Peruvianus I got for next to nothing!) waiting to be planted when the weather starts warming up.

Exif-JPEG-420.jpg

A few succulents I just put in soil, a couple of Echinopsis mutants, a Pachycereus Pringleii and some khat plants I'm trying not to eat.

That's a nice flock of San Pedros ya got there

i have 4 of them - 3 plants from seed, the other was a cutting....the ones i grew from seed i actually ordered off of amazon for like $2...they take forever to grow from seed but for whatever reason, i have more love for a plant that i start from seed than not from seed

i have a couple cherry tomoato varieties, and 4 different pepper plants going....i'll have to throw some pics up one of these days....

i also have an Asian Pear tree in the backyard that's loaded with pears....it's the most ive ever seen on this tree too....there's been years that the squirrels ate them all but i dont think they can wipe them all out this year with as many as there are now...

Cracking photos mate.

Their bites are so nasty because they have serrated mouth parts so they rip your flesh rather than just piercing it. This leaves you wide open to infections.

i wish they were my pics as they're great but alas they were google searched

yeah it gnashed me up good, but the swelling is starting to go down with enough steroid cream. ive had horse flies and clegs take chunks out of me as well but the deer fly has been the most painful so far.

Exif-JPEG-420.jpg

Exif-JPEG-420.jpg

sweet! i love cactus lane <3

This weird fucker emerged from under my hedge a couple of weeks ago.

Its now taller than me.

I haven't got a clue what it is, but it's either going to flower gloriously or impale me through the heart.

I'm kinda scared...

actually i just zoomed in on the full res pic and it seems to be a bamboo. might wanna dig it up as (depending on variety) they can get a bit out of control without a good root membrane to contain them. it'll smother your privet given the chance

i wish they were my pics as they're great but alas they were google searched

yeah it gnashed me up good, but the swelling is starting to go down with enough steroid cream. ive had horse flies and clegs take chunks out of me as well but the deer fly has been the most painful so far.

Yeh horse flies and deer flies are very closely related. They're all blood feeders so their jaws are like saws to rip through that animal hide.

• Wow
Reactions: CFC
actually i just zoomed in on the full res pic and it seems to be a bamboo. might wanna dig it up as (depending on variety) they can get a bit out of control without a good root membrane to contain them. it'll smother your privet given the chance

Of course! My neighbours have got bamboo the other side of the hedge so that makes perfect sense. Cheers @CFC

Reactions: CFC
what's your favorite rosemary dish?
My man used the rosemary in our dinner tonight. OMFG it was so amazing!!! Lamb chops with garlic and rosemary, and he made this incredible creamy, cheesey vegetable bake with cauliflower, zucchini, onion, garlic and more rosemary. Omg it was divine <3 <3 <3

My man used the rosemary in our dinner tonight. OMFG it was so amazing!!! Lamb chops with garlic and rosemary, and he made this incredible creamy, cheesey vegetable bake with cauliflower, zucchini, onion, garlic and more rosemary. Omg it was divine <3 <3

I find it hard to believe that anything can make lamb taste 'divine'. Especially rosemary, which tastes of Parma violets on a bad day.

You may as well just eat lumps of fat from the London sewers as eat lamb... :sneaky:

I find it hard to believe that anything can make lamb taste 'divine'. Especially rosemary, which tastes of Parma violets on a bad day.

You may as well just eat lumps of fat from the London sewers as eat lamb... :sneaky:
Omg I completely disagree. Our tastes must be very different. I love lamb! Maybe you have different breeds of sheep for lamb meat where you live?

Omg I completely disagree. Our tastes must be very different. I love lamb! Maybe you have different breeds of sheep for lamb meat where you live?

Maybe. I do find most lamb to be overly fatty, but I'm not a great meat eater anyway. Gammon and bacon are the only dead flesh I really bother with. I even find chicken a bit meh.

Maybe. I do find most lamb to be overly fatty, but I'm not a great meat eater anyway. Gammon and bacon are the only dead flesh I really bother with. I even find chicken a bit meh.
Oh I see. I'm quite a carnivore. The only meat I dont like eating is pork because pigs are one of my favourite animals. If it is served to me I will eat it out of politeness but I would never buy and eat it by choice.

i love lamb! 🐑 🍖

i see new zealand lamb here a lot....im not a big fan of the imported lamb - i only buy the local lambs 🐑