• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Gardening in General

Gardening
yowza! that's a biggun! how long has that rosemary been growing?

my favorite dishes are rosemary ones but i always end up with more parsley, i always buy when it's fresh since i roll them up tight in ziploc bags and freeze them so they last.

that makes it really easy to use the parsley in anything because it's just a matter of taking the log out of the freezer and cutting off a slice

ohmygod i had no idea we had a gardening thread.

i am not into gardening.

but, when i finally get my house, i will get a garden. and i would like it to be nice but i would also like it to be edible. my mum grows chives, mint, and rosemary so i can get that. i have a clematis which i wont eat and have high hopes for. ditto my azalea and marguerite.

i'm into this whole rewilding/weed growing trend i've seen though cos i have to be realistic that i'll put in maybe an hour twice a month.

also i'll have a tree!! its not a big one but its a tree! i don't know what sort it is but when i finally get into my house i'll post pics cos i love trees.

Pictures are encourage
lol where da s afr garden bro?

i gotta get up and get a coupla pix o whats goin on out there. brb
the outside fence is 4ft. the cages around the reg tomato plants are 3 1/2 ft tall for ref. that chetry tomato plant has gone wild. if there is one bunch of tomatos on it there are a hundred. i swear. crazy i never saw
we dug it down about a foot deep. the soil was good and unused so we excavated some of the low part in the yard with half the ground soil. filled the hole with ferilized garden soil. tilled that mf up. planted and watered. let it do what it does.
next year i will till it all up, dig holes where anything stressful like tomatos have sapped the nutrients and fill with fresh garden soil and plant. ;)

system works fairly well but need to be legal to grow my own medicine... iirc it is a lot like tomato. ???

edit pic lol
C1PiFms.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone got any tips on how to control the brown rot fungus which has invaded my apple tree?

About 5 years mate! :)

phew, it's just about grown-up enough to raise the younger plants! what's your favorite rosemary dish?

system works fairly well but need to be legal to grow my own medicine... iirc it is a lot like tomato. ???

pretty much. i'm growing tomato using my old herb playbook - NPK soil, light, water. if nutrient deficiencies show up in the leaves then some liquid nutes added to the water fixes it.

i'm into this whole rewilding/weed growing trend i've seen though cos i have to be realistic that i'll put in maybe an hour twice a month.

naaaah, once you get some plants going you'll want to see them every day :)

This weird fucker emerged from under my hedge a couple of weeks ago.

Its now taller than me.

I haven't got a clue what it is, but it's either going to flower gloriously or impale me through the heart.

I'm kinda scared...

lol where da s afr garden bro?

i gotta get up and get a coupla pix o whats goin on out there. brb
the outside fence is 4ft. the cages around the reg tomato plants are 3 1/2 ft tall for ref. that chetry tomato plant has gone wild. if there is one bunch of tomatos on it there are a hundred. i swear. crazy i never saw
we dug it down about a foot deep. the soil was good and unused so we excavated some of the low part in the yard with half the ground soil. filled the hole with ferilized garden soil. tilled that mf up. planted and watered. let it do what it does.
next year i will till it all up, dig holes where anything stressful like tomatos have sapped the nutrients and fill with fresh garden soil and plant. ;)

edit pic lol
C1PiFms.jpg

If you have a lot of tomatoes, you might want to consider feeding them every week with a liquid feed like tomorite or an equivalent phosphorous-rich fertilizer. Or they may not grow and ripen in time before the frosts. Are they still flowering?

Anyone got any tips on how to control the brown rot fungus which has invaded my apple tree?

There's annoyingly not a lot (legal) that'll work for that. You could try spraying with neem oil - but if it's a large tree....

Either case, you should remove all rotting fruit and affected branches/leaves and dispose very carefully (green bin will do if you have one, as council get temps high enough to kill off most pathogens).

This weird fucker emerged from under my hedge a couple of weeks ago.

Its now taller than me.

I haven't got a clue what it is, but it's either going to flower gloriously or impale me through the heart.

I'm kinda scared...

Is it stripey? If so, could be a miscanthus (ie zebra grass) but kinda hard to tell from that.

My courgettes have turned into monsters - I bought special container varieties to keep them small, but one of them has leaves which are now almost 2 feet across and have shaded out half of the garden and the other is growing right over the 8 foot fence lol.

I def recommend it. I have more traditional cultivated beds interspersed with wild grass and wild flower beds on the (former) lawn, which I let do their own thing for the most part (though I occasionally plug in a few ornamental grasses or synergistic flowers for further interest). I keep them looking neat and intentional by just mowing walking paths around. It really keeps the insects, bees and butterflies happy.

Are they still flowering?
Yes, the cherry tomato is flowers and bunches of fruit everywhereI was gonna cut the new branches that are pushing flowers out to maybe help with good fuot now. wacha think? SO told me no too. lol
will do the fruit, thanks meant to get a pic while it was light out but too lazy now
peace

Reactions: CFC
Yes, the cherry tomato is flowers and bunches of fruit everywhereI was gonna cut the new branches that are pushing flowers out to maybe help with good fuot now. wacha think? SO told me no too. lol
will do the fruit, thanks meant to get a pic while it was light out but too lazy now
peace

you don't really need to prune determinate tomatoes (bush type varieties), certainly not like you would the type you grow up vines. they can generally be left to do their own thing and will generally stop flowering on their own when they feel the time is right (unlike indeterminates, which will go on until frost kills them). just make sure they're well fed as tomatoes are hungry mofos

I'm getting eaten to shit in the garden atm. If it's not mosquitos, it's ticks (found 2 of them on me) or nasty fuckers like deer flies. i had one continually dive bomb my face for days before it bit me right thru my t-shirt. i now have a number of ugly welts on my back itchy as heck even with hydrocortisone cream.

deer flies are pretty cool looking tho:

0_Deer-fly-eye-Close-up.jpg

Twin-lobed_deer-fly.jpg