• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids (Gabapentin) withdrawal, any advice?

Now 2 months into WD - still clammy sweaty hands, no reduction of symptoms at all. This medicine should be made illegal.

here is a quick GABA question.

I take 800MG every morning. do you think I'd get WD's if I were to stop? I am truly just sick of taking pills and these do nothing for me. yes, may have with seizures but I also take 4000MG Keppra which I feel is more than enough; I only added GABA thinking I'd feel "good" but it did nothing for me and now just 2 extra pills I am supposed to take.

so, will there be WD's on 800MG? I've tried before and felt a little UGH but might have been mental. jumped back on quick and now want off again.

No. Gabapentin is a TID medication. You won't have withdrawals from taking one tablet in the morning as it's effects are mostly diminished 6 hours later: there are no sustainable blood levels in you.

I took 5 months Gabapentin for chronic back pain with pain in legs because of aftermath from broken vertebra years ago.
For 2 months 2x 300mg at morning, 1x 300mg at noon and 300mg before sleep.
After 2 months I reduced: 1x 300mg at morning, 1x 300mg at noon and 300mg before sleep

Yesterday I stopped with it. Last dose was only at morning 300mg. After noon I noticed withdrawals.
Anxiety, severe back and leg pain, no energy/ motivation, nausea, not hungry, depression, aggressive, restless...

After 6pm I thought ''fuck off'' and took 500mg phenibut. So 2 or 3 hours later it was better. I think it is better to taper off with phenibut because of the extreme long half-life and the another effect on gaba-receptors (specially gaba-b). The night was not bad. I slept 4-5 hours.

Today I took at noon 250mg phenibut and would take 250mg before sleep and would take it for one week.
I think 250mg Phenibut would be not enough for the nights. But I wont take more.

It sucks with all the pills and dependence and side effects.

I had many withdrawals. From opiates, benzos and more.

Gabapentin side effects were not bearable anymore. More infections, short and long term memory problems, speak problems, no more pain reduction.

I think I live better with chronic pain and take marijuana. That's better than dependence and side effects on opiates, benzos, gabapentin and all the shit.

It's enough. I can't live with all the shit pills. It's better for me to drive one day with a wheel chair than to take these shit pills again. I have no more power and energy for more withdrawals, dependence and side effects of pharmaceutical pills.

Last edited:
gabapentin

also alcohol....everything smells moldy and my friend says i have been acting delirious.....should I taper? I was on 900 mg a day....then I had a cystoscopy under general anesthetic and I just feel SO weird....

I know what you mean with the moldy smell. Everything has a depressing strangeness that smells of death. No wonder people have committed suicide from this stuff. I read an article where a doctor is fighting against it and says doctors should never prescribe it. I was taking it to alleviate opiate WD, and my mother was wondering why I was twitching and moving so much. I realized it was a new thing and it had to be related to the gabapentin. Terrible stuff, the people who feel no WD are extremely lucky. These drug companies must have no oversight whatsoever.

Isn't gabapentin 1 of 52 gaba B drugs that the Germans made in the 70s and gabapentin ended up being the best choice ? Either way it's day 7 for me cold turkey ... day 1-3 was pretty bad , 3-5 was horrendous shivering shaking puking everything made opiate withdrawals look baby . I also thought there weren't withdrawals, but think about that statement. There's no free lunch in nature , if you take something every day for a long enough time , and that it's pharmaceutical strength and stop abruptly you'll feel something ...

This is starting to scare me. I'm on 600mg 3 times a day. I've run out before but usually had kratom or a couple xanax to help. Man I've been taking these things for 4 years. I have severe anxiety as well as knee and wrist problems. I'm not wanting to stop taking them anytime soon but I'm sure one day I will. Scary stuff

You don't need to be scared about the withdrawal. What I mean is that it's not dangerous. I have went through Lyrica withdrawal several times and it's worse than Gabapentin WD, as Lyrica is stronger but closely related. Like the big brother. The withdrawal is nasty, horrible insomnia and anxiety. But it doesn't last especially long, you will start feeling better in a few days.

IDK if it helps you but you can read about my Lyrica withdrawal here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/804693-Gabapentin-for-Lyrica-withdrawal

Hey all, I have been on 300mg 3x a day for around four months (IIRC, can't remember when exactly I started), though I have pretty much only taken one a day at night time to help with sleep since I didn't feel I needed to take more than that, but sometimes I would take it twice a day. I was taking it to help with social anxiety. However, over the past month or so I have been slurring a lot of my speech, and have been experiencing quite a bit of short term memory loss, headaches, and blurred vision, so i'm going to call my doctor as soon as they open about getting off of it, as I didn't know these were side effects and thought it was something else. The amount of stories here kind of scares me, but with the relatively small dose over a relatively short amount of time, i'm not too worried. I will post here with my experience, pray I don't go insane. And out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced these side effects later on in their time taking this?

Frogzx- I was on Gabapentin 300mg x 2/day for a few months. I had short term memory loss, slurred speech, blurred vision. Not all of the time, but every day at least. I blamed it on the pain meds and Ativan, but now that I am reading your post I realized that it all mostly disappeared when I quit using it cold turkey. I don't remember any withdrawls, so they couldn't have been really bad.
I guarantee a short taper( maybe 3-5 days ) would get you off it without any side effects.
Good luck.

I was told by both my doctor and my psychologist to just stop taking it cold turkey. Here's hoping I don't like die

]Damn, so glad i got off this stuff, doc had me on 3x 300mg a day for about 2 years for my headaches and restless nights, it worked good at first, then after a year or so all it did was make me feel wore out and it became basically useless to me so i quit cold turkey and stopped getting my script and all that.

Let me say this, i thought i was going to die multiple times during withdrawl, not only mental but very psychical symptoms, worst med i ever came off and i believe it fucked me up mentaly and psychically permanently to this day, i can go into detail on maybe what to expect if you want, but here is my advice, do not go cold turkey off any dosage of this stuff, it could legit kill you, ask your doc about cutting your dose in half and maybe keep doing that for a few weeks untill you are off it, i wish i did that and did not stop cold turkey, went to the ER twice cause of it.

Sounds awful, not that worried about it though. Especially since i've been taking a third of the amount you do, and for like six times less. Don't think you really risk dying unless you are an epileptic and go cold turkey, since it greatly increases your chance to have a seizure.

It was no fun, i thought it would be a peice of cake too as most people said 900mg is a small dose and the med seemed rather weak and pointless to begin with, boy i learned my lesson, to each his own though, right?

Just dont take it TOO lightly, you still have a good amount in your system, i guess taking 1x 300mg a day, generally speaking, you should be okay or at least better off than i was, doing a little thinking, i don't know how to even ween off 300mg either, i missed that part, iirc 300mg is smallest dose, just don't make too many plans incase it is worse than expected and you have to lounge around for the week, just trying to give as many people as i can the heads up on this med and the w/d, stay safe.

Also, can you please update when you get off the med and let us know how it went, i am curious how your withdrawal is gonna go and i am sure a few others are too.

If you are in a state that hasn't banned the plant known as Kratom, i would definitely order some. There are only 5 states that it is banned in as of now.
It is an absolutely amazing PLANT. If helps with opiate withdrawals, as well as people who suffer with chronic pain. It can be habit forming, as anything can be, but most describe the "withdrawal" from it similar to quitting coffee. This makes sense considering kratom and coffee plants are in the same family. If you would like more info, i can give you some very helpful links to do your own research. If you google it you will find a lot of misinformation because the dea wants to ban to because it is bad for business. Out government does not want us to find a natural alternative to pain killers.

Of course, I will post my experience daily over the next week or so.

So last night was the first time I haven't taken it at bed time in 4-5 months, was still able to sleep fine. About halfway through today now and I haven't noticed any withdrawal effects. Maybe i'm in the clear.

I'm curious, have you ever w/d off any other drugs before? A good chunk of people don't go into full w/d from *most* pills until around day 2 maybe even 3, it took about 3-4 days before i went into full w/d from gabapentin.

Glad to hear all is going well for you, it's still to early to tell but you might have dodged a bullet considering your short term and low dose use.

Nope. Granted, the only medicine I used over a prolonged period of time before going full cold turkey was cyclobenzaprine, which I don't recall ever having noticeable withdrawal effects from.