• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin VS Pregablin For Anxiety

oxymoron310

Bluelighter
I'm currently taking 300mg Gabapentin 3 times a day for anxiety and as a general "mood booster". I suffer from GAD, SAD, OCD, you name it.
I have panic attacks on average 4 times a day. I'll wig out thinking that I'm hyperventilating and I'll stop breathing, or vice versa.
A few weeks ago I was prescribed Xanax (A God send for me) but I've started to notice its losing its effectiveness, and I don't want to build a tolerance, and sure as hell don't want to become physically dependent.

So the question is: Is Gabapentin or Pregablin better for anxiety? Compare and contrast here.
I've taken both, but they don't seem all that different to me.
And before I forget to ask does Lyrica show in drug tests?? My buddy really likes Gabapentin and he's drug tested every 3 days, so I give him a few Gabapentin's here and there and they aren't detectable.

gabapentin is not a very potent drug.
i tried it to relieve RLS symptoms thinking i may have a gaba imbalance somewhere, but no good.

300mg is a waste of time for anyone that has abused drugs.
for a recreational style high i took 2000mg and it was more of a daze than anything.

in terms of being good for anxiety, i found very little, if any change in mood when i was taking it at a more sensible dose (500mg morning, 500mg midday 800mg night), in fact it only made me feel a tiny bit out of it.

i would say it would depend on the reason that you have anxiety, gabapentin may work for some with anxiety due to the chemical imbalance in their brain specifically.
i think most success has come from people using it to cope with opiate, meth and GHB/alcohol withdrawals.

i myself have had great success with using gabapentin to relieve and id say eliminate physical and mental GHB withdrawals after 2-3 weeks of heavy use.
this to me blew me away and is a good enough reason to have some tucked away.

pregabalin is basically the same, just more potent allowing for less side effects.
this combination may allow for higher doses without recieving the dopey feeling, so may get the anxiety relief you are after, but from the reading i have done, the only advantage is that you can have a higher dose and achieve a GHB like high without said side effects of gabapentin due to higher potency.

if you are worried about xanax potency changing, perhaps a combination of the 2 could work keep doses low for both as gabapentin/pregabalin will potentiate any benzo.

although i believe there is no way gabapentin can compete with xanax in terms of how quickly it becomes effective and how well it will perform in the conditions you prescribe.

edit - also re. drug detection, from wiki.

Metabolism: Pregabalin undergoes negligible metabolism in humans.[22] Approximately 98% of the radioactivity recovered in the urine was unchanged pregabalin. The N-methyl pregabalin is the major metabolite.[21]

Excretion: Pregabalin is eliminated from the systemic circulation primarily by renal excretion as unchanged drug.[21] Renal clearance of pregabalin is 73 mL/minute

I'm getting Lyrica(Pregabalin) prescribed for heavy GHB withdrawal. For me they are waay better, KILLS the physic withdrawals, and th psychological. They me feel completely normal, even motivated and spontaneous :D. U can also have a LOT fun on them. At big doses i have seen people have an total GHB experience for 8 hours, to knocked back in the bed, tripping balls and everything between.

They also intensify the effects of:
-Alcohol
-Benzo
-Opiates
-GHB

But be careful, if you combine CNS depressants, you should know what you are doing from own experience. Don't read reports of people that took shitloads and had fun , them try the same amount.

Everybody has different biochemistry and can react totally different on one substance. I have a friend who is like 1 out of 10,000 people witch is immune to CS-gas. He sprayed an entire bottle in his face, and took a deep breath. He didn't even cough once, everyone else ran coughing out of the room.

Tracing totally off here i see, need to go socialize i think!
Try to be enlightened about what you put in your body.............

Have a nice one! :)

Pregabalin is better. Its just more potent that's all.

It doesn't show up on drug tests

It is great for withdrawals from benzodiazepines or other GABAergics.

It worked great for my social anxiety disorder but it loses its effectiveness over time like most drugs. It still works for some of my symptoms of anxiety

You need to make sure to taper from it, don't just go cold turkey. There are withdrawal symptoms.

When I started it I felt great the first couple weeks

I personally love both drugs. They both work amazingly for my fibromyalgia, RLS, and anxiety; I am also prescribed gabapentin as a mood stabilizer/enhancer, which it works amazingly for. I've been off of pregabalin for about 6 months now, so I went back to gabapentin. I've been on it for about 7 years.

Both drugs have some side effects that certain people would consider too severe to bother using them. They make getting an erection very difficult and the feeling just isn't there as much...or at all depending on dose, lol. And memory problems/recall of words, math & english skills, etc. can be somewhat severe at times; in some respects as bad as benzos. If these things don't bother you, or you feel the good will outweigh the bad (like in my case), then I would give them a try instead of taking benzos which will eventually give you problems, no doubt.

Pregabalin just feels a little more "refined" than gabapentin, but more or less they are very similar. Both can make you feel hazy, uncoordinated, spaced, disinhibited, and relaxed. But they can also get you high as fuck. So it all depend on what you want them for.

Don't get erections? Really?

Where i come from we call erctions "ståkuk" but with pregablin i get "stålkuk"(Direct translation: Steel cock) :p

Just saying pregabalin makes me horny!

It just shows that people has so different biochemistries, psyche and preferences.
We respond so different to substances that it's hard to judge whats best.
I mean a friend of mine used to buy e' and used them as sleeping pills. LoL 8o

@oxymoron310 try both, and see whats best for you!

both gabapentin and pregabalin will (more slowly than benzos) build up a tolerance... i take pregabalin to help me with my benzos withdrawls, and is generally considered stronger than gabapentin, but i thing they act in similar way....

both gabapentin and pregabalin will (more slowly than benzos) build up a tolerance... i take pregabalin to help me with my benzos withdrawls, and is generally considered stronger than gabapentin, but i thing they act in similar way....

Been on babapentin for a few years and it's been a miracle for me. Only problem is the weight gain. Psychiatrist recommended trying pregabalin. Wondering if anybody has had weight gain issues with these?
Regarding ANY benzo. Don't ever do it unless it is an emergency. Bottle says never take longer than 30 days. Dr's give indefinitely. Was on Klonopin for 10 years for sleep and anxiety until I forgot my script and went into cold turkey. Horrific, horrific and extremely dangerous. All benzos hit your gaba a receptors and cause them to downregulate. Can take one to two years for them to upregulate again. I've been tapering from mine for approx 180 days. Approx 220 left and still no idea how it will be once I'm completely off. Symptoms are countless. Benzo's for sleep =no REM sleep. Hence, always tired and dumb and no memory. Had no idea it was the benzo. Thought it was something else.
Will tackle the benzo cuz it hits gaba a which controls entire CNS. Don't think I'll attempt to go off of Gabapentin because it is the only medication ever to work for me. Would however like a substitute w less side effects. Gabapentin hits Gaba B receptors. Haven't done enough research into that.

How many men have a hard time gettin an erection through taking pregalin/ gabapentin? Is this rare or a common side effect.?

Well I'm a woman but I can tell you since being on 900 mg of Lyrica and prior to that 2700 mg of gabapentin it was really hard to reach climax