• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin just prescribed, at what mg do they become....

That's not harm reduction, that's a bad attempt at humor. Kind of answer that would have someone just expirement with doses cause no one made them none the wiser. Kind of answer the buzz killer of the group would give cause they're str8edge. Or just lazy shtick
You could try the search engine feature here. It's probably been covered already

Alright I will bite on this one. I too am prescribed gabapentin. Had it for shingles, the pharmacy made sure I stayed on it by refilling it but I never took it everyday except the first two weeks that I had shingles at night. Stopped no issue. The pharm really kept pushing them on me. I had mentioned to my doctor I will take them but wanted to take as needed and she agreed, although explaining that a constant level in the blood works better as a nerve reliever. So then I said ok I am taking is as prescribed. (but not) It has been that way for 7 years. These days I rarely take more than 1800 mgs about once a week. I do stretches and other things as well as take advil if I get nerve pain.

Some find it recreational, some don't. I do and use it for a night of music and hobbies about once a week. Lots of info here. A lot of people think that anyone getting recreational effects are nuts.

I treat this as a serious med. So I don't play with that much. But I like having it around and since I did have nerve pain it made me seek different methods of dealing with it instead of daily gabapentin. Stretches, the Hinge health care app, etc...

The wisest thing I saw here came from MisDiz and Nzity. MisDiz pointed out the addiction level and Nznity said it is not worth going over 1800 mgs. Be aware of this med. It seerms to be prescribed a lot these days. Like the default med to shut people up. Yet it has value now, it did not 25 years ago. :cool:

Alright I will bite on this one. I too am prescribed gabapentin. Had it for shingles, the pharmacy made sure I stayed on it by refilling it but I never took it everyday except the first two weeks that I had shingles at night. Stopped no issue. The pharm really kept pushing them on me. I had mentioned to my doctor I will take them but wanted to take as needed and she agreed, although explaining that a constant level in the blood works better as a nerve reliever. So then I said ok I am taking is as prescribed. (but not) It has been that way for 7 years. These days I rarely take more than 1800 mgs about once a week. I do stretches and other things as well as take advil if I get nerve pain.

Some find it recreational, some don't. I do and use it for a night of music and hobbies about once a week. Lots of info here. A lot of people think that anyone getting recreational effects are nuts.

I treat this as a serious med. So I don't play with that much. But I like having it around and since I did have nerve pain it made me seek different methods of dealing with it instead of daily gabapentin. Stretches, the Hinge health care app, etc...

The wisest thing I saw here came from MisDiz and Nzity. MisDiz pointed out the addiction level and Nznity said it is not worth going over 1800 mgs. Be aware of this med. It seerms to be prescribed a lot these days. Like the default med to shut people up. Yet it has value now, it did not 25 years ago. :cool:
Thank you for taking the time to respond, and for the info given, is much appreciated. I'm a H/Fent, cocaine, and benzo addict ( former) I would IV anything I could get to draw up. So what I find to be a "high" is probably strong compared to some. I think imma just have a few set aside for a cloudy day, or a really sunny day. And then forget em for awhile, thanks again sir.

Ok, I'll bite too.

Gabapentin has a saturation limit so taking more than say 300/600mg at one time is a waste. If you want to see if they are recreational for you (they aren't for everyone so be aware of that) you could try taking 900mg but space out your doses so 300mg then 35mins later another 300mg then 35 mins later another 300mg. Be aware that it takes ages to feel anything from gabapentin, so if after waiting say 2 hours and you feel nothing I would give it another hour and see rather than take more. (I'm saying all this assuming you're naive to gabapentionoids.) You should also take it with something fatty like peanut butter which helps absorption.

As to JackaRoe's comment where I spoke about addiction, I'll repeat it here so you know. You gain tolerance super fast to gabapentin and it will take more and more to feel anything (if you even felt it in the first place). It's a drug where you can become physically addicted to it and once that happens the withdrawal is horrible, tapering down your dose is the best option if it comes to that but my advice is to not even go there. If it's recreational for you save it for every now and again, do not use it daily.

If its been prescribed for pain and you want it to work then use as prescribed by your Dr, if you abuse it your tolerance will go up and it will be useless for pain when that happens.

Ok, I'll bite too.

Gabapentin has a saturation limit so taking more than say 300/600mg at one time is a waste. If you want to see if they are recreational for you (they aren't for everyone so be aware of that) you could try taking 900mg but space out your doses so 300mg then 35mins later another 300mg then 35 mins later another 300mg. Be aware that it takes ages to feel anything from gabapentin, so if after waiting say 2 hours and you feel nothing I would give it another hour and see rather than take more. (I'm saying all this assuming you're naive to gabapentionoids.) You should also take it with something fatty like peanut butter which helps absorption.

As to JackaRoe's comment where I spoke about addiction, I'll repeat it here so you know. You gain tolerance super fast to gabapentin and it will take more and more to feel anything (if you even felt it in the first place). It's a drug where you can become physically addicted to it and once that happens the withdrawal is horrible, tapering down your dose is the best option if it comes to that but my advice is to not even go there. If it's recreational for you save it for every now and again, do not use it daily.

If its been prescribed for pain and you want it to work then use as prescribed by your Dr, if you abuse it your tolerance will go up and it will be useless for pain when that happens.
Thank you angel

Please tell me what I’m doing wrong. I’m so jealous of so many on here who have done the Gabapentin staggering. I’ve tried it 3 times now. I’ve tried 300mg every 30 minutes. Tried again every 45 minutes then another day tried every hour. I ate a small fatty snack afterwards and drank pop. Ive taken Aleve with it. I’ve gone up to 1500 mg, 2100 mg and 2700. After the second time, I said forget it. Then ended up trying again and said forget it. And lo and behold I have a temptation to try it again. All it does is get me so low on my script, I have to take tiny doses just to make it last until my refill. Please tell me, what am I doing wrong?

Please tell me what I’m doing wrong. I’m so jealous of so many on here who have done the Gabapentin staggering. I’ve tried it 3 times now. I’ve tried 300mg every 30 minutes. Tried again every 45 minutes then another day tried every hour. I ate a small fatty snack afterwards and drank pop. Ive taken Aleve with it. I’ve gone up to 1500 mg, 2100 mg and 2700. After the second time, I said forget it. Then ended up trying again and said forget it. And lo and behold I have a temptation to try it again. All it does is get me so low on my script, I have to take tiny doses just to make it last until my refill. Please tell me, what am I doing wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong besides persistently trying to get high from a drug that doesn't get you high.

your doing nothing wrong, gabapentin sucks imho, pregablin is what your looking for

Ok, I'll bite too.

I was just prescribed GP for chronic pain and it seems to work very well. I've been addicted to opiate several times (pretty much constantly) since my first neck surgery in 2009 and now that I'm off addiction scares me. If I stay at my 900mg a day and not try to get high will I get super addicted with bad WD?

If I stay at my 900mg a day and not try to get high will I get super addicted with bad WD?
Take this for what it is worth. I think I read every gabapentin thread here and reddit. I am willing to bet it you stick to 900 mg a day you can probably stop without issue. Gabapentin is way more forgiving than opiates or benzos. People can scarf their scripts then just wait for the next. Totally not recommended. It eventually catches up to them. Either take as prescribed or less. Less can be a large dose (1500-2400mgs) every once in a while. But even people taking it at that level daily sometimes claim they had no issue stopping. The worst stories I have heard were people taking 5000-6000 mgs daily prescribed for 10-15 years. (I can picture some bumbling doctor ever increasing doses)

I did the same thing. Was super cautious. Never had an issue with taking as needed. 900n mgs a day I would bet would not cause issue with you. That is my calculated guess from reading a lot. lol

Just last night I had only 300 mgs and I slept like a log. Took it 2 hours before bed. So I can still feel low amounts after all these years of using sparingly.

Last edited:
I have jars of Pregabalin. But I reach for the gabapentin. I am not the only one. Go visit the gabapentin is better than pregabalin thread. I think you would be surprised on the opinions. I wish I like Pregabalin better. They are somewhat easy to get. Could just be in my body chemistry, but that thread made me realize I am not the only one.

^^ I am going to get some Pregabalin. . . . But I need Gabapentin.

Gabapentin is has more stability . . . but Pregabalin is more trippy to me. lool. 👍:cool:

And topic.

You can't take too much Gabapentin all at once because it's not all going to absorb. . all at once like that.
And it's not good to do too much all at once that way. Especially initially.

You mind as well take a whole buNch of Vitimin C instead. IMHO. 👍

Yeah, Pregabalin goes right to my head. Much trippier. But gabapentin is also trippy. Except as gabapentin takes affect it soothes my whole body. However at lower doses, I could not tell the difference between the two they are so similar. It is just the larger doses I can feel a difference.