• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

gabapentin as a potentiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mix gabapentin with alcohol unless you wanna look like the village drunkard. Anything above very light doses of the drug will make walking almost impossible and your vision will be fucked. Damn near fell over the stairs on that combo myself :\

^ Spot on. Gabapentin lowers your alcohol tolerance to that of an infant (assuming the infant wasn't born to an alcoholic mother who drank during pregnancy). I have been literally shitfaced from 3 beers before.

nomy - As far as pain medications go: for neuropathic pain I've found that gabapentin or pregabalin work better than any opioid I've encountered. Just gotta get the right dose, and dose it right. Once again regarding neuropathic pain, opioids help to some degree, but I can only make this comparison: Opioids make the pain a little duller but it's still there and it still hurts and is difficult to move your limbs and shit when they're stiff. Gabapentin or Pregabalin actually can make the pain go away, and relieve the stiffness/muscle soreness. Hope this helps a little.

^ You hit the nail on the head regarding opiates and neuropathic pain. I get trigeminal neuralgia and although morphine will dull it if it's intense enough i might as well be taking water. The other week i was in so much pain and so nauseous from the pain i had to take some chlorpromazine for the nausea and to potentiate the morphine. It worked and i slept like a baby.

Don't anybody go potentiating your opioids with thorazine though as it could end very unpleasantly or with you in the ER or worse. Just a heads up :\

^^thanks for the heads up about the alcohol guys. Funny thing is, the doc said alcohol should be OK. And nothing really in the leaflet to warn either which is unusual. I'll take note though thanks.

Agree about Opioids as pain relief. Kinda like wearing ear mufflers to protect from loud noise. The noise remains, but just a little fainter, and maybe I don't care as much. I did try amitriptyline as my first neuropathic pain treatment. All that did was give me brain zaps that I'm still getting 6 months after coming off them :(

^ Funny but i was put on amitriptyline for neuropathic pain at first and it worked pretty damn good until it crapped out. I had no withdrawal symptoms coming off it and i quit cold turkey after being on it for over a year on doses topping out at 150mg's.

Gabapentin doesent help my neuropathic pain completely and neither does lyrica sadly. Wish i could get a script for ketamine but that ain't gonna happen :p . So morphine it is :\

^ Really? Lyrica doesn't help? That shit is a miracle drug for me, I'm about to get back on it. I would go as far as saying that pregabalin is the best pain medication I've ever taken, on par with fentanyl, just in a different way.

Also, what dose of gabapentin were you on? I'm surprised it didn't help at all. Trigeminal neuralgia is some serious shit, I actually think I may have that...I'm waiting to see a neurologist. However, I have relatively severe FMS, and chonic migraines...so I can understand to some degree what you're going through with meds and finding the right combos, etc.

At the end of the day, this is the crux of why I dabble with chemicals and herbs; as an escape from the reality of pain because of the inadequacy of standard pharmaceuticals. The most relaxed I feel is when I'm out of my tree on MD or mushrooms etc, or late at night after a few tokes.

Yeah, this is a miracle drug for me. I've said it many times before, I think gabapentin is one of the best pharmaceutical discoveries of the drug. As I'm tapering off my fentanyl patch, I'm find it SO valuable. I do think it potentiates opiates and what I've found is that as I decrease my patch use by 12.5mcg/hr units, if I didn't have gabapentin I'd feel uncomfortable as my body adjusted but if I did take gabapentin I could not only experience a euphoria but also not feel the WD so much.

The only issue is tolerance. Gabapentin cannot be used repeatedly esp. at high doses (several grams). It just stops working. So you need to lose the tolerance (a couple to a few days) and then start again, and so on.

What I've done is gone from 50mcg/hr fentanyl patch to 12.5mcg/hr patch with MINIMAL WD through the judicious use of gapapentin. At each switch, I take high doses of gabapentin and then once I'm on the lowered dose, I stay on it and stop taking the gabapentin and then a couple of days later, I go down again.

I am on my last 12.5mcg/hr planning to go off soon... while on gabapentin I feel I can easily do that (there's some codeine and tramadol involved too). But without the gaba I think I'd be more anxious about going off.

I usually take one gram of pregablin (Lyrica) and drink about 2 Litres of Strongbow cider (which I think is about 5.2%) and that gets me well on my way, stumbling around laughing and slurrrrrrrring my speech. I also found smoking weed on lyrica to increase the euphoric effects of the drug.
PFZ10130_68365_5.JPG

010531.jpg

^^ i have the same pills! but damn you pop 20 of those bad boys at once?? i only need like 200-350 to feel awesome, only around 200 with opiates...

Hahaha yeah i started low at first (300-400), but then moved to 800mg then thought fuckit i'l just take the whole strip, and that's when i realized how great lyrica can be! I like the fact that it doesn't suppress your appetite either (in fact it makes you eat more! unlike tramadol)

I have to say i did end up walking straight into a lampost on one occasion and straight into a wall another time! had a huge lump on my head and woke up covered in crusted blood!! I also punched an oncoming taxi wing mirror, which ended up in me running away from the taxi who turned around and came after me haha. good times! oh and i lost my mobile. LOL

was taking 16 mg of suboxone for 6 months, then down to 8 for the next 6 months, then off cold turkey. detoxed at home with nothing but a gabapentin for the nerve pain/sleeplessness. built up a tolerance to the gaba real fast.

skip ahead two weeks. i'd been taking various pks to get through my days, whatever i could get, be it vicodin or opana. i figure my tolerance hasn't gone down much. i had a tiny piece of an old sub strip, probably half a mg, that i'd been saving for the fuck of it. feeling down and out one night and without anything else, i decided to do that half mg. the only other thing i had in my bag was nuerontin 800 mg. i left that tiny ass piece of sub under my tongue for about 10 minutes, fucked around for about 15 more, then popped the nuerontin. to my delight and surprise, what resulted was one of the most euphoric highs of my using career: oxy like body buzz/ opana like happy as hell but no nodding/ closed-eye visuals to die for/ fucking fantastic sex.
definitely my tolerance for suboxone would have been lower than before- when it essentially wasn't there- but this was markedly different from that first-time suboxone high we all know about. i imagine still that after another dose or two this neurontin-potentiated suboxone high would disappear, as suboxone highs do. haven't used any subs since so i couldn't say for sure.

I felt very little at prescribed doses of Gabapentin. The tolerance issues with opiates, and the potency of opiates seemed to overshadow whatever the Gabapentin may have been doing.
At some of the higher doses, Gabapentin had a more pronounced effect (similar to what i've heard Lyrica is known for).

I do not like the Gabapenten or any drug changing my brain chemistry as is inevitable with any level of use and with tolerance. The higher doses with pronounced effects seem to have an even greater affect on brain chemistry and tolerance seems to develop rapidly. I don't take any pain medicine currently as I'd rather be in pain than change my opiate receptors and cloud my thinking, but I was not a fan of gabapentin as a potentiator of opiates.

gabapentin at high doses can be very very unpleasant, at low/moderate doses it has very nice anti anxiety effects, balances mood, and indeed potentiates the effects of opiates. for first time users dont go above 600-800mg, or u will end up feeling staticy, tacky, and just plan feel weird and unpleasant..to be safe 300mg even may be the right dose, its fast acting and has alot of benefits for nerve pain, anxiety, opiate potentation, and withdrawl. i dont understand how people can take over 2000mg' at once...im pretty tolerant to it, and dont go above 1600mg at once..same goes with lyrica, they are very similiar, low doses for better results

Gabap does not potentiate equally across all opiates. The following from RXlist.com:

Hydrocodone: Coadministration of Neurontin (125 to 500 mg; N=48) decreases hydrocodone (10 mg; N=50) Cmax and AUC values in a dose-dependent manner relative to administration of hydrocodone alone; Cmax and AUC values are 3% to 4% lower, respectively, after administration of 125 mg Neurontin and 21% to 22% lower, respectively, after administration of 500 mg Neurontin. The mechanism for this interaction is unknown. Hydrocodone increases gabapentin AUC values by 14%. The magnitude of interaction at other doses is not known.

Morphine: A literature article reported that when a 60-mg controlled-release morphine capsule was administered 2 hours prior to a 600-mg Neurontin capsule (N=12), mean gabapentin AUC increased by 44% compared to gabapentin administered without morphine (see PRECAUTIONS). Morphine pharmacokinetic parameter values were not affected by administration of Neurontin 2 hours after morphine. The magnitude of interaction at other doses is not known.

I have found Gabap to work well w/ grass, increasing euphoria. But Gabap. can make me giddy
all by itself. I have found that Gabap. + Oxy adds up to nothing for me...?

Interesting hearing you say that "I have found that Gabap. + Oxy adds up to nothing for me...?" because I've been on Oxycodone AND Gabapentin plus a bunch of other boring shit and the Oxy's have never got me high and I've taken pretty massive amounts of them, trying to find the high that I've read about so many times. I thought that it must have been the Methadone pain med that was keeping the Oxy's from actually making me feel high. Now I wonder if the Gabapentin might be the culprit. I've got a shitload of the Oxy's stocked up because I only take them when my pain gets to a nearly unbearable point, so maybe I'll stop the Gabapentin for a couple of weeks, if I can stop using it without my neuropathy in my feet fuching getting to blown out of control and then see if I can't experience WFT an Oxycodone high actually feels like! After that I think that I'll stick with my Gabapentin for my neuropathy due to the horror stories I've read today about Lyrica.

ive experimented alot with gabbies + Opiates, and the opiate i found it gave best results with was Methadone.

ive been on 110mls of methadone for almost 2 years now, and i dont even feel it anymore..... but if i take a 300mg gabapentine about 45-1hour after ingestion, i find it kicks in that lil opiate feeling, and its the closesnt thing i get to a high these days :)

even when i had a tiny opiate tollerance, and first started using methadone (street non-prescribed methadone) i had to use gabbies cuz the juice id allways buy was watered down, and the gabbies would make it feel like a full dose.

Also, i know there is something to this combonation because i have suggested and even offered Gabapentines to friends who are also on the program, and they definately notice the potentiation factors from them aswell..... soo its more than just my opinion

Old thread...

but I just recently got prescribed Gabapentin and it's one hell of a potentiator !

I've been on Methadone for 3 years now...Methadone alone is very euphoric to me...but when I add Gabapentin in the mix...Oh god what a feeling!

It feels exactly like when I first started using Oxycodone.
It gives me an awesome stimulated opiate high.

Im different than most people.
because most opiates stimulate me...I barely ever nod..even when taken crazy amounts.
the rush of an opiate high to me always gets me stimulated...than a few hours later as the high goes away..i would be all chill and relaxed and still high as fuck.

in conclusion, Gabapentin is an awesome drug to enhance your opiate high!

I saw someone say that timing is everything, when should you take the gabapentin with your opiate... before, after, during? And doses for the times?

Status
Not open for further replies.