• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery For Those Of You Who Quit Weed

Get a good college freshman level intro to psychology text book. They should have a good neuroscience section in it. Most addiction neuroscience specific books are rather significantly lacking. Reading into the history (of the most very limited) experiments they have done to study the neuroscience of addiction, like the Rat Park experiments (http://www.stuartmcmillen.com/comics_en/rat-park/), is also a good way to learn.

After much consideration, I've decided to start the Wellbutrin XL. I'm on 150mg, my second day ... Had to go this route as I have lost energy, motivation and pretty much had no will to do anything. I'm very disappointed that I had to go this route. It's a bandaid of sorts but I feel as if it was the best thing to do. I'm getting ready for many many months of no sleep, dizziness, dry mouth, chest tightness and spaciness. It did help last time I quit so I have to tough it out.

On the recovery front, my sex drive has come roaring back, which has been gone for almost 2 yrs ... I attribute this to the fact that over the course of the last 10 months, I've smoked weed for about 5-6 weeks. I was off of it for 5 months between May and October 16, and from
Mid December until the present.

And my sense of smell is coming back too.

Today is day 68.

Nice work LL! Keep up the good work. Let us know how the bupropion treats you. It should help give you a bit of energy, though I doubt it will be all that much.

Hey there.....I quit weed after 13 years of smoking daily...went through a divorce and decided one day to just quit. I exercised daily and ate healthy and didn't have any problems adjusting. I moved out of the country when I got back to San Francisco where I lived before moving I started smoking again...mostly indica strains....I moved to Humboldt eventually and learned so much about cannabis. I know what strains don't help me and stick to the ones that do. If you have you're medical mj card you can hit some clubs and try different top shelf strains and see if one helps the anxiety and helps induce sleep. Edibles work wonders for me they help me sleep and my body feels relaxed. It's a life saver for me because it has helped me during my wd's and I still get relief while on subs.

Fifth day on the Wellbutrin ... Condition hasn't changed much. Still have mood swings and depression comes and goes. Last time it took about a week for the Wellbutrin to kick in, resulting in mild euphoria that lasted for about 10 days ... then I balanced out only to have it stop working around day 90 ... fight is still very much real.

Today is day 71.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fifth day on the Wellbutrin ... Condition hasn't changed much. Still have mood swings and depression comes and goes. Last time it took about a week for the Wellbutrin to kick in, resulting in mild euphoria that lasted for about 10 days ... then I balanced out only to have it stop working around day 90 ... fight is still very much real.

Today is day 71.
It will take 2-3 weeks to fully feel the wellbutrin. Give it time to do its thing before you quit it. Congrats on the 71 days to that's some thing to be proud of.

I'll just add my story even though this is probably already quite discussed. When I first started weed and knew nothing it was great, but it probably led to me causing more problems not thinking about the excessive amounts of THC to countering cannabinoids like CBD and THCV that reverse or prevent the effects of THC from my understanding through the explanations of the endocannabinoid system and general comparison charts on their effects. Anyways I stopped smoking the first time since I was 16 daily as much as I could manage to 24 when I entered detox to start suboxone although got back on after. At first though I had to be real careful how much I smoked as if it was too much it was like all the aspects of a bad DMT trip without any of the beauty and wonder just looking back on failures and not seeing success. I then stopped again for 6 months in a weird relation and as I started a job although now I have started again first with vape pens, which at first one puff a night was good, but quickly rose to three puffs two to three times after work. Now I am able to smoke bowls of bud, but I am also having to start suboxone after not being able to keep up my supply of heroin that I was using my manage my chronic pains, which got to ridiculous tolerances where 16 mg dilly iv couldn't even get me well only doing a point to three points in 1 point shots rarely two. I am really hoping I can go back to cannabis and with support from my parents and not denial and attack of my character due to reagen and nixon era beliefs.

I'll just add my story even though this is probably already quite discussed. When I first started weed and knew nothing it was great, but it probably led to me causing more problems not thinking about the excessive amounts of THC to countering cannabinoids like CBD and THCV that reverse or prevent the effects of THC from my understanding through the explanations of the endocannabinoid system and general comparison charts on their effects. Anyways I stopped smoking the first time since I was 16 daily as much as I could manage to 24 when I entered detox to start suboxone although got back on after. At first though I had to be real careful how much I smoked as if it was too much it was like all the aspects of a bad DMT trip without any of the beauty and wonder just looking back on failures and not seeing success. I then stopped again for 6 months in a weird relation and as I started a job although now I have started again first with vape pens, which at first one puff a night was good, but quickly rose to three puffs two to three times after work. Now I am able to smoke bowls of bud, but I am also having to start suboxone after not being able to keep up my supply of heroin that I was using my manage my chronic pains, which got to ridiculous tolerances where 16 mg dilly iv couldn't even get me well only doing a point to three points in 1 point shots rarely two. I am really hoping I can go back to cannabis and with support from my parents and not denial and attack of my character due to reagen and nixon era beliefs.

God, Nixon and particular Reagan did so much to fuck up our society with their fear mongering politics and prohibitionist drug war propaganda. I don't even know where to begin...

Maybe Thomas Jefferson's poppy and what led to it's destruction. A piece of history we will never have again after being destroyed by fear.

You'd really like Chasing the Scream, great book about the history of the drugs war.

Day 79

I have gotten to a permanently depressed stage, where I'm depressed 24/7. Either it's the Wellbutrin, or the continual PAWS.

All joy, hope, motivation, will, excitement .... has totally disappeared. I'm basically living. That's it. Nothing I do brings relief, everything is pointless and baseless. My thoughts about the future all point to living in this misery for the long time ahead.

What a life.

Just left the Doctor's office, gave a ton of blood for them to do bloodwork. They are gonna analyze many things. He suspects that my testasterone levels are down, and perhaps my thyroid hormone levels are off ... This is sheer brutality

I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling so much LL. Has there been anything else going on in your life that's been adding to the stress recently?

Decided to stop taking the Wellbutrin 3 days ago, the last 2 days I've felt good, no depression and minimal anxiety. Approaching the milestone 90 days where the THC will be completely gone.

I'm still treading water. It's a rough ride but well worth it. No more weed!!!!!

By the way - my lab results came back, and physically I'm as healthy as I can be.

The mind. It's all in the mind

Mood has now been stable for a few days, no depression or anxiety .... Enter the "constantly bored stage" .... I call it the flat stage. If there ever was proof that our reward centers get messed up it's here. I literally feel bored and flat all the time. The thoughts of being high come and go, but are quickly shot down knowing that it will come at a heavy price. Last time it took me 2 months to get through it and was still going through it.

Life after being high is a bit vanilla ;)

I'm glad to hear that you feel a bit better after stopping the Wellbutrin. When life feels flat and you feel bored it is time to actually look at your life. I agree with you that most of life is lived in our minds and by changing the thoughts we choose to manufacture about our authentic emotions we can most effectively change our lives; but, sometimes you have to go outside the mind and take stock of your activities, your relationships, your employment, etc. Are you a person that needs/craves adrenaline rushes? Could you learn a new sport or activity that provides that? Are you a person that needs intellectual stimulation? We all need intimacy and yet most of us look for it in some prescribed romantic form that was formed way back in our heads when we were watching cartoons. I have found that intimacy is available in so many relationships that are not romantic if people are willing to build human trust.

I want to experience life like I used to. Getting High is a substitute for the real thing and that no longer interests me.

I have read that it will take me up to 2 years if not more to be back to "normal" and that scares the shit out of me. No idea how I'm gonna get there