• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Foil in glass pipe used for weed?

valarmorghulis

Greenlighter
Hi, my girlfriend is a regular pot smoker and recovering heroin addict, but recently she started using foil in her glass pipes, like in these photos...

These top two photos are kind of an optical illusion. They are convex, not concave in them. In other words, a hill not a hole..
2mfybfq.jpg

2vd1smo.jpg

np1kqw.jpg

What is the purpose of this? Yeah, I know I can just ask her, but I can't know if she will be telling the truth. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

I honestly don't know why she does it, but I can say with certainty that I've never seen or heard of someone doing this specific thing to smoke weed.

She may be using it as a screen for her glass pipe. It looks really.... well.... ghetto, though. Also, the shape you describe simply doesn't make sense to use as a screen (hill, not a hole). Idk, me personally, I wouldn't make a screen like that.... but I wouldn't put it past someone else to do it. The shape is really odd, though, and leads me to think that it's purpose was not for marijuana. Can't say for sure, just my best guess.

I don't want to play devil's advocate here but the burns in that first picture look an awful lot like ashes from some kind of powder. At the same time, it could also just be a new "foil screen" that had only been used for a hit or two. It's all speculation, yeah?

Do you use any drugs at all? What's the foil smell like?

Last edited:
No problem, man. I've never done heroin so I can't tell you if this is a sign of a possible relapse.

We've got a few people around here that might recognize what's going on in your pictures instantly once they check out this post, though.

Best of luck to you.

I hope that is the case! When I say hill not a hole, I mean I turned the foil upside down to show the bottom. It was shoved in the pipe in a bowl shape, I just inverted it.

Ahhhhh, gotcha. Didn't even cross my mind.

If the foil's got little holes at the bottom of the hole/top of the hill where there are burn marks, she's definitely using it as a screen and that's definitely been done by many others before her. I wouldn't worry about it being for drugs other than weed unless you've got other signs pointing to that conclusion as well.

It was really fuckin' with my head trying to figure out why she'd make a tinfoil dome over her glass bowlpiece. It just didn't make sense, lol. I'm glad you helped me figure that one out.

BTH will leave a dark chalky residue that gets EVERYWHERE. It smells like sweet vinegar (in a good way?) if I remember correctly. The smell can't be covered up easily, so if it is BTH that shit should not smell like pot.

I don't have any experience with ECP, but I don't think people smoke that shit.

It looks like an extremely poorly made screen for her pipe. I would make fun of her for making it.

It doesn't make any sense why she would use a home made screen out of aluminum foil in a glass pipe to smoke herb. Unless she puts the heroin in the poorly made aluminum screen so as not to mix it with the herb that's already in the glass pipe? I'm not sure I've never used heroin.

But don't be surprised if she's relapsed on heroin.

When I used to smoke herb I never used a screen in a glass pipe and only used screens in wood and metal pipes back when those were mainly the only type around. Some people use glass screens in glass pipes I just would put a large bud in there instead.

That's odd that she's obsessed with smoking joints like to the point that she makes rolling papers out of household items. The only time I ever did that was when I was a teenager and had no papers and thought I could smoke out of regular paper and wanted to get high. Why doesn't she just buy papers like everyone else does? I don't know of other things that could be smoked in papers besides herb and tobacco but I never have used heroin.

Mafioso-Why do people smoke oxies? That sounds like a total waste.

Last edited:
Yeah, glass pipes usually don't need screens unless the hole in the bottom of the bowl is huge. In that case, you get a glass screen. Smoking from tinfoil is gross and usually isn't done without a reason. Seems weird to me.
Especially since you mention that she just started doing this recently. I've smoked out of many glass pipes and nobody I know has ever done this.

Another quick question, is there anything else someone might smoke in a tiny joint? She has always used pipes as far as I know, but recently she was desperate to get her hands on rolling papers. To the point where she was trying to make makeshift ones out of household materials. Why the sudden need to switch?

I could be completely wrong about this but I want to say I heard(from people smoking oxies on tin foil) that when direct flame is applied that it causes a lot of bad shit to be released, which is why pipes are made out of glass in general. Even metal pipes taste like shit to me, not to mention get hot as fuck.

This is all speculation but unless that glass pipe got a big ol hole then theres no need for foil. Nobody in there right mind would put foil in a glass bowl to smoke pot. Maybe there was a lil bit of h on top thats why she used the foil..

Ha! I was pretty disappointed to see that was completely SFW.

Do you think I should post this in the heroin section, or is that overkill?

I have certainly heard of people smoking H out of tinfoil. In any case, tell her that tin foil is a known neurotoxin and isn't healthy to be smoking anything out of.

Why do people smoke oxies? That sounds like a total waste.
This sounds like a question a junky would ask to convince themselves that shooting it is better.

Watch this hilly billy heroin for people smoking oxies. It's pretty common actually, just ask the people over in North American Drug Disc.

And here's a chick who smokes BTH for people that aren't familiar.

None of what the OP has shown us has lead me to believe that his girl is smoking heroin.

I've never IV'd anything and I haven't used opiates in decades.

I just thought that it wasn't possible to smoke oxy since it's a pill. Or is it more like vaporizing?

The purpose of the foil for oxy and heroin is to vaporize it because heroin and/or morphine, oxy are very heat sensitive.

lol @ junkies who think they are being healthy by "vaping" their oxies though.

The rise and fall of oxy is the biggest reason heroin made such a comeback imo.

It looks like she is just using the foil as a screen. Tell her to just plug the hole in the pipe with a bigger bit of bud and fill grinded weed on top. Never use foil as a screen it's very bad for you. Or buy her a new pipe with a in built glass screen or get her a bubbler with a slide.

It looks like she is just using the foil as a screen. Tell her to just plug the hole in the pipe with a bigger bit of bud and fill grinded weed on top. Never use foil as a screen it's very bad for you. Or buy her a new pipe with a in built glass screen or get her a bubbler with a slide.

Don't forget the pebble method!

Small, misshapen pebble to slightly cover up the intake and you've got a perfect "screen" for your glass piece.