• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos First timer - Xanax Dosage Recommendations & Experiences

Spacebbq

Greenlighter
Hi All,

I've recently started taking Xanax for the sake of trying out benzodiazepines. Reading around the forums the suggested dosage for people who don't have any benzo tolerance is usually as low as .25mg to .5mg. I took 2mg for my first try and didn't feel anything (I'm curious about recreationally using Xanax for anxiety and the purported "high" you get from it).

What surprised me is that after 2mg's and not feeling anything I took an additional 2mg and the next thing you know, I'm awake in my bed without any recollection of what happened approximately 16 hours since I started taking the pills (note that when I checked the package of the pills all in all I took 10mgs).

What's for certain was that I had an amazing sleep and slightly euphoric when I woke up, but I wasn't able to piece together anything within the 16 hours that I blacked out.

Is this normal?

What's the recommended dosage for recreational use?

And is it completely unrealistic to have the thought of getting 'high' off benzos this way?

This is my first post and I expect to get yelled at for a shitpost, but I'm really curious and would like to know what other experiences people have had using benzos.

Also please remember that this is my first experience with benzos.

Note: I've been abusing Tramadol for the last 2 years and the 'high' is completely different.

I know you said you are taking Xanax but is that what it really is?

You need to be very careful. If you are taking them after you black out then you could easily get yourself killed or OD. Lots of people have made the same mistake you are. Why not take .5 so you can keep control of yourself and also remember what they feel like?

I'm now at 6mg but I'm not feeling anything. The drugs arent duds either cause I purchased them at a regular drug store (in Thailand they are mildly lax on required "prescriptions").

As you mentioned starting at the .5mg didn't have any effect. So I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here.

My question I suppose is that do benzos affect people only with anxiety? And if so would this be the reason why I'm not feeling anything?

The only effect I had gotten was that I blacked out at one moment and that was that.

Edit: what I'm doing today is 2mgs first, wait an hour and taking another 2mgs to see if the effect kicks in. Just about 10 mins ago I took another 2mgs, so now I'm at 6mgs and paying attention to any changes in my system.

I never experienced "high" from benzos. The most that ever happened to me was I'd fall asleep.

That said, I'm not an anxious person at all. And from my experience and being on BL over the years, I believe that the people who enjoy benzos "recreationally" usually suffer from anxiety so the benzos help them feel good. At least from hearing others answer questions similar to yours, that's what I've learned

I will say when I had a cocaine habit, they made the crash much softer

Blackouts like you describe are very common at high doses on benzos.

I guess it depends on what you're expecting to feel as well...they aren't like getting drunk or smoking weed...

If you're not getting anything out of what you took, most likely you're one of the people who just don't find them recreational.

I'll let more experienced benzo users chime in now.

By the way, I just wanted to add that I'm really grateful for having these responses from you guys. I've always done drug research on my own and having people actively responding with their experiences is a great feeling.

Thank you to everyone putting the effort into responding.

Blackouts happen because you took a huge amount of benzos. For me, I feel Xanax when I take .5mg and 2mg would floor me.

Xanax addiction is horrid and can cause seizures that lead to death btw. Eating down 6mg per day and next thing you know you are up to 10mg then 14 or 16mg per day and cannot simply stop taking them because you will go through withdrawal then you have to take them just to feel normal.

My question is if you don't feel anything then why bother taking them still? They do nothing for you right?

I started taking Xanax when it first came out, and was not believed to be addicting. It is highly addicting. Xanax is NOT a medication that is good for getting "high". It simply calms anxiety, there is "no high" which is why when it first came out it was considered to be the perfect medication. I highly, highly recommend not taking as you did. Sounds as if you are lucky to be alive at the dose you took. I only take .5 mg of IR. I've seen adults have the same reaction you did on only .5 mg. I would LOVE to be able to taper off of the medication, as now I almost need to set an alarm to make sure I don't take it so late as to have that horrible feeling of panic that occurs once that it's level gets too low in my system. Personally, I don't like to have a feeling of being "high". I'd be happy just to feel life without being afraid. I also take Norco 10/325 every four hours. Like with the Xanax IR if I wait too long I start to panic. I'd love to not have to live from dose to dose. It's no way to live life. I'm 65 now, started taking these medications after I shattered a disc in my neck in 1979. I had gotten off of everything for about three years. Three years where I felt life. It wasn't alway good, but I felt alive. Then I was injured again, and my Mom passed. It was all too much for me and I was prescribed both the pain medication and Xanax to help with the extreme anxiety. My doctor would tell me "I'd rather you take the Xanax, than kill yourself". Now I am living, but I'm not alive. You have this one body, and one brain. Once the chemicals are altered, it's not like a computer where you can just do a reboot, or do a System Restore. I hope you give serious thought to what you are doing to yourself. I wish I knew back then, that I'd be exsisting as I do today. I would have ripped up my prescriptions. Today many doctors will not prescrib Xanax because it is so highly addicting. Trust me when I tell you you do not want to be addicted to it. Withdrawls are horrifying.
Best of luck to you Spacebbq

Alprazolam and benzos in general can be very subtle... till they aren't. Seems you experienced the subtle and then vaulted yourself straight to amnesiac land. Trying to establish that functional high like opioids is a lot more difficult with benzos. It usually takes some time and a little tolerance to know where one's sweet spot is without approaching blackout land. Adding anything else into the mix can seriously alter the sweet spot and bring on a more dangerous amnesiac/ blackout land. Best to heed everyone's warning on this because it is def the general consensus.

I really appreciate all the responses, I've never gotten this much information the way you guys provide.

Interesting, I am now at 10mgs and feeling extremely calm. I'm curious as to what prescription drug provides a nice euphoric high (besides the standard weed, MDMA, and such).

Sorry I'm still a newbie in terms of prescription drugs but I have access to all sorts of them legally here.

EDIT: I do suffer from depression an anxiety, and heard that Xanax as the way to go, based on the above what would you guys suggest as an alternative to Xanax?

Last edited:
Actually this brings me to another question, besides the standard weed, mdma, coke, and the generic drugs. Are there any uplifting medication that can help with depressive moods?

I could be wrong but I have just never heard of anyone taking a dose like that and not being intoxicated

Are they er or ir? If ir they sound like duds.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by ER or IR.

However here's a picture of the drugs I got.

http://imgur.com/a/A8VCk

and

http://imgur.com/a/Xyf7v

Today, I'm giving Zoloft a try as an experiment.

I'm getting the similar situation with Klonopin where I'm not getting any buzz.

Maybe something is wrong with my brain 8(

EDIT: Are there any other pharmaceuticals that provide the euphoric high I'm looking for since I have been diagnosed with depression.

I only did a quick google search on the pic you posted and they appear to be fake. Can't say that 100% but I will give it 99%. You are a foreigner in a foreign country?

I only did a quick google search on the pic you posted and they appear to be fake. Can't say that 100% but I will give it 99%. You are a foreigner in a foreign country?

Yes,

Yes I'm living in Thailand, however these drug stores are generally licensed so in terms of whether they are fake or not I can't be 100% certain.

EDIT: Canadian expat living in Bangkok.

Klonopin is very subtle in effects and is more of a preventative anxiolytic than xanax which is a rescue anxiolytic. That's def strange that you are so insensitive to the xanax unless gmlifer is on to something. Never the less be careful if you have a beer or other downers until you can pinpoint whats up. Maybe you can source another brand or talk to a local ? Also be cautious with the Zoloft if you have been using a bunch of Tramadol and start slow. Have fun over there in candyland Space.

I got 100/2mg bars, i am sure these are fakes , but definetly got alprazolam in them, really bitter. From yesterday I have took more than 2mg at a time and I haven't blacked out, Was my diazepam addiction that our of control, think I prefer diazepam , should of well hae enough to knock me , because it did last night after like 4/2mg,

Can' sometime tell me the what is exactly the difference between Xanax and diazepam. In layman terms, or close to it please.

Alprazolam (Xanax) is short acting and Diazepam(Valium) is long-er acting. The xanax is more likely to cause blackouts and amnestic states than the valium but both can still kill you if mixed with enough alcohol or CNS depressants. Valium also has metabolites that linger for a while and therefore is generally better for tapering if clonazepam or chlordiazepoxide are not options. If you are sure you have fakes be careful of inconsistency from pill to pill.