• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

First marijuana plant in australia

Weed is everywhere. It wouldnt suprise me if there was weed in Australia long before humans were.

Osama Bin Laden bought it over... don't you guys read the papers!

"who did it?" TERRORISTS

sycoj0ker said:
You answered my question that I spent over 100 hours thinking about

that's why you cut sheet metal for a living.

=P no offence ;]

A little birdie told me.....

The first marijuana plants in countries like Australia and New Zealand probably came from bird seed discarded into unkept backyards when cages were cleaned. Of course, if the owner mowed his/her lawn, or kept their gardens tidy, these little exotics would likely have had a very short life.

Marijuana seed is said to produce a rich plumage in birds, and birds certainly seem to like it, so for many years it was an essential ingredient in quality bird seed. It's rich in nutrients and tastes pretty good. In NZ, we found it was still in one or two brands of bird seed available in the late seventies.

Like bird seed, marijuana has been around for a long time. My uncle, now 68, once told me a story of my grandad Jack, who loved his tobacco and whisky. Jack was always on the look out for marijuana, even back as far as the 1940s. He knew of plants that had been grown in NZ and, according to my uncle, would often return from the farm with some strange weed to ask him if he thought it might be the Indian Hemp plant. afaik, the old guy never got to try it. Pity really. If he'd only lived another 5 years, any one of his grandsons (and a few of his grand daughters) could have satisfied that curiosity ;)

the_ketaman said:
Weed is everywhere. It wouldnt suprise me if there was weed in Australia long before humans were.
yep. Cannabis grows everywhere but the arctic circle.

It's rich in nutrients and tastes pretty good
haha +1, I eat all my seeds. :)

I wonder what the consequences for native ecosystems would be if "someone" released and spread marijuana as a weed ie just get it growing EVERYWHERE. Could certainly be an interesting experiment, though probably wouldnt produce terribly fine smokables.

^How do you think it got the name "weed" ;) Cannabis grows wild as a weed in Morocco, Afghanistan, and other countries I'm sure.
It flourished centuries ago before all this nonsense about wiping it out started :\

Yeah, i know. I think it would be interesting to see it flourish everywhere around oz. I think it would be hilarious to be walking through the bush and come across MJ plants everywhere

^Yeah but other plants need soil too :\ Dont get me wrong, I love weed and that would be interesting and all, but not at the expense of other species.

well its been said the Chinese discovered Australia long before Dirkie and Cook.

The Chinese, as was everyone else was using hemp at the time and thus it would make sense that they would have brought it over.

I can't imagine though that migrating birds would be able to consume hemp somewhere in the world and then fly a few thousand kilometres before hanging a shit, conveniently, in Australia.

He ment bird seed from domesticated birds. Bird seed was made with pot seeds.

Would bird seed actually produce smokable pot? I was under the impression that it was from hemp strains that were incredibly low in THC. I'd always just thought that the decent strains of pot were obtained in the same way they are today: discrete mail orders from overseas companies. That really only applies to the time since it was made illegal though. When it was still legal ... I wonder if they grew it here, or simply had hash shipped over.

I saw an episode of Pizza that dealt with this question uneqivically, however, i can't remember what it was, ...something about Captian Cook was really called captain Cone, and he was searching for a good place to grow dope....8)

bustabraincell said:
I saw an episode of Pizza that dealt with this question uneqivically, however, i can't remember what it was, ...something about Captian Cook was really called captain Cone, and he was searching for a good place to grow dope....8)

Highly doubtfull yet the climate is perfect so it gives it some merrit lol

I recall reading about a massive natural crop being discovered in the hunter valley region in the early 60s or around that time when weed first became popular in Australia amongst the surfie crowd. Prior to that, I don't think the psychoactive effects were really known about much in Australia.

^^ Your right about that.

I've got a book at home called marijuana Australia that talks about the history of canabis in Aus and they talk about the huge infestation of canabis that was the hunter valley crop so much weed growing wild that there is a chance it may well have been native to Australia.

Not a bad book to read if your in to that sort of thing.

JoeBloggs said:
I recall reading about a massive natural crop being discovered in the hunter valley region in the early 60s or around that time when weed first became popular in Australia amongst the surfie crowd.

supposedly was somewhere near gosford, my girlfriends father has been there. it was a ritual with the local cops to go there during harvest time and bust people leaving the crop. (thats what i've been told). seeds came from barrels of hemp seeds thrown overboard by cook because they were not the right kind of hemp for rope apparently.

Prior to that, I don't think the psychoactive effects were really known about much in Australia.

i remember reading about a well to do posh mans club in melbourne that used it from 1880ish till it was banned. included politicians and stuff. cant find a reference now tho... not enough time to google. but im sure its there.

god i really remember reading that info... but a few quick google searches shows up nothing. hmm.