• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

First hand experience using amphetamines to kick opiate dependence

Yep it definitely is a good aid in very small doses. Since you don't get sleep anyway you atleast get some enjoyment out of being high on meth. Strangely it was rather sedating but at the same time stimulating. I mean that I was content and comfortable with just laying in bed not moving but I definitely was not getting any sleep. But the withdraw was completely unnoticeable even the next day after it had warn off. The self control factor Is definitely a problem towards the end since being an addict in the first place suggests you lack that self control you'd need lol

hm doesnt sound like the best idea to me, amphetamines reduce your appetite and can give you diarrhea, nausea, headaches all of which could make your opiate withdrawal much worse.
id think maybe a benzo a stool hardner and maybe small dose of amphetamine to get you going.

But idk ive never tried.

I read Billy Idol's biography last year and he mentioned that he was on heroin while recording the Rebel Yell album (guy from Thin Lizzy gave it to him). To kick his habit, he used cocaine for about three weeks straight to fight the sickness and depression. According to him it worked, but of course this is coming from a guy who admits he still drinks and smokes weed even though he is an addict.

First hand experience is that meth amphetamine can absolutely relieve fairly acute withdrawal symptoms; similar to how if you're feeling sick with a cold, or even the flu, taking methamp can relieve all those symptoms. Of course you absolutely want to make sure you have enough to cover the entire acute stage, otherwise when you come down from the meth it will actually compound the WD symptoms.

However - my first-hand experience is that this method also increases the post-acute symptoms (PAWS); in particular, assuming you stop using the uppers once you're past the acute withdrawal stage, it will increase the lethargy, depression, anxiety, etc.

My overall opinion is that it's not a great way to get clean, BUT - and this is definitely a valid point, it absolutely can relieve a lot of nasty WD symptoms, there is no doubt about it.

And if you were stuck in a situation where you had no access to opiates and you had a long / productive day ahead of you and you had access to amphetamines, then sure - they'll get you through the day, where you may otherwise be utterly incapacitated by dope-sickness.

Worth a Shot!

Ok, I've been on and off Heroin for about 5 years now, and I go through very painful and agonizing withdrawals whenever I try and stop after a bender. I will say that after a lot of my junkie friends told me that doing meth once when you start to withdrawal will solve the misery of the experience, I was skeptical to say the least. I have mixed meth with my last shot of heroin and this made me ease into the withdrawals with much less misery. Right now I am 14 hours since my last shot of heroin, which for me I should be dying, but I snorted some meth at 10:30 and I have since smoked a few more bowls and have all but completely forgot about my burning desire to score more heroin. I am one who is very sensitive to amphetamines, because I rarely do them, I have come to the conclusion that since they affect me in such a strong way, my body exhibits none of the symptoms of heroin withdrawal which make the process seem to drag on so long. Time seems to be passing fast, my hopes are high about the future, and I have even yawned, which means I might go to sleep in a while. If you shoot up meth it will be much more intense, the effects from that will make it difficult for me to sleep for days, but compared to how I feel with nothing, it makes me feel great. My theory is also the fact that Heroin withdrawal is so demoralizing.. making me feel like I can't do anything.. this makes me want to do more heroin because I can't get anything done, the great conundrum of relapsing, because I succeed in most aspects of my life when I'm using Heroin, but once I quit, I become useless, and I can only last a few days like that before I either make enough money to score, or just come to the same old depressing conclusion: that life is better with Heroin. While on meth though, my creativity is awakened, my hopefulness is here again, and I don't miss H nearly as much.

A fair warning though! Some people get strung out on uppers just as bad as downers, and as an example of this, my room mate fucked his entire life up getting strung out on Meth. So if you have a propensity to go overboard on uppers and not be able to stop.. I would not do it. I use it for the first day or two definitely, then the Suboxone does the trick, both meth and Suboxone I stop using 5-7 days of Heroin free time.. (I almost said clean time.. haha) Call it polysubstance abuse, call it chipping, if you can get a hold of some Meth I'd at least try it, hey, if it sucks.. go back to feeling miserable with you're withdrawals, I guarantee time will at least go by faster.

Last edited: