• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

First hand experience using amphetamines to kick opiate dependence

DrBarryMBlue

Greenlighter
Please no opinions. Only experienced individuals who have been through what is being discussed.

Essentially a 90mg a day oxycodone addiction has been had for around 10 months now with multiple detox attempts only ending in failure. Obviously the pain and discomfort is bad but the depression and lack of motivation seems to be the worst and what leads back into use of oxycodone.

Recently methamphetamine was offered in the peak of withdraw. As nasty as it seemed, anything would be done to feel better.

At about 10 pm a very small amount of methamphetamine was taken orally and after 15 minutes back pain disappeared and mood was uplifted.
This lasted into the next day, with absolutely no sleep of course, but opiate withdraw symptoms were non existent for a good 16 hours.

It has been heard that others used this method for three days to get out of the peak opiate withdraw and then to crash for however many hours and sleep only to wake up feeling refreshed and, the most important part, not dope sick.

Now as the one dose was the only one obtainable relapse shortly set back in due to sheer lack of will power to stay off, and possibly with the depression phase setting in as well.
However it is being considered getting a three day supply to go through with this method.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Your opinions on how it is bad or how amphetamines sounds like a bad idea are not wanted

Only advice and actual stories of experience going through with this type of withdraw method.

Thanks in advance for help received.

Sincerely, every addict wanting to be normal again

Welcome to bluelight. I am going to move this thread to the other drugs forum as it will get a lot more replies there, and does not belong in NASADD.

Can you get on Suboxone? Or Methadone? Or detox cold turkey? Friends of mine who were addicted to opiates have used both medications, and done it CT to get off dope and pharm opiates. Good luck.

Be careful you do not get addicted to the meth. Stay safe.

Last edited:
hm doesnt sound like the best idea to me, amphetamines reduce your appetite and can give you diarrhea, nausea, headaches all of which could make your opiate withdrawal much worse.
id think maybe a benzo a stool hardner and maybe small dose of amphetamine to get you going.

But idk ive never tried.

Some say it's not good because after you come down from the meth you will feel even worse, but my buddy said he quit a heroin addiction cold turkey (smoking not iv) and would do small bumps of meth to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms, and then used a bro m benzo after being up for two days, repeat one more time and by day 5 he didn't need anything to tough out whatever was left over from the withdrawal

It doesn't really treat opiate addiction. Meth produces a powerful, uplifting high that treats fatigue in a snap so of course it'll make opiate withdrawal more bearable. I know that up here, though, heroin and meth use is very often a polydrug phenomenon. Most junkies I've talked to about this use meth in exactly the way you were talking about, or to "help me stay awake so I can enjoy being high on heroin more". I wouldn't recommend using a drug like meth to get off opiates, not when there are much less, er, "intense" options that can nullify many symptoms of opiate withdrawal.

Also, if crippling depression is a big reason for relapse, then a meth binge is NOT what you should do. You'll just go into the post-euphoric meth malaise comedown period, get depressed and want to use drugs again. Presumably just like all the other times, only maybe worse this time in wake of the stimulant use.

sincerely, someone who has used both meth and heroin.

The points of concern are appreciated and have been considered deeply however perhaps some insight should be added to clarify personality and drug habits.

The oxycodone addiction is purely intranasal and the proposed meth use is exclusively oral.

Uppers have never been a problem drug because sleep is such an enjoyed activity, especially the act of dreaming.
The only plus is that sleep is usually inconsistent or nonexistent altogether during withdraw anyway, so why not be up and productive?

Also other more conventional methods such as loperamide, NSAIDs, benzos, antihistamines, etc have never had any real noticeable or lasting effects and almost seem useless.

This method would only consist of the smallest dose possible to combat the negative withdraw symptoms and get the day going and to be productive, as opposed to miserable and fatigued.

Perhaps this is of such intrigue because it is the first and only thing that made the withdraw bearable and even forgettable. Also the comedown from the initial small dose wasn't noticeable and the withdraw symptoms that returned were typical of what would be felt after 48 hours without use.

It's understood it's rather dangerous, tricky, and downright irresponsible to try using another terrible drug with extreme addictive properties to get out of the grip of opiates but there has to be some success stories behind it. Because every other attempt has led to failure.

Has anyone had success with this? Or is it purely the devil in disguise? Even with lowest possible dosing.
It is not very conventional but seems promising given the right circumstances.

Also the forum relocation is appreciated as bluelight is not fully understood yet.

Hilarious - every answer offered was an opinion. OP, I know this is off-topic, but have you tried buprenorphine? I consider it the gold standard for opiate withdrawal.

Well even the thoughts of someone who had actually done it would've been an opinion, would it not? That's what I didn't really get about the OP's post.

I don't think anyone was going to be out posting detailed references to clinical studies in which junkies in withdrawal are allowed to binge on methamphetamine for a few days to see if that puts some pep in their step lol

Buprenorphine was a wonderful alternative. It gave an uplift in mood and energy without the intoxicating effects of traditional opiates. Much research has been done on it and it is well understood. However the withdraw from that, even after just three days of use, was like being run over by a bus all day for two days and then being dropped off of a cliff onto a bed of rocks. Very unpleasant and 100 times worse than just regular oxycodone withdraw.
Although it was also the one time that sobriety was kept for more than 5 days. (Perhaps because of the fear of going through that pain again)
But current friends at the time were of poor influence and drug use ensued once more.
These friends are no longer in contact anymore so that could quite possibly be an option again even though it is by far the most painful one.

The suggestion is appreciated regardless of it being off topic

As you can tell sobriety is desired but there is much fear and confusion as to how to get there successfully (and with the least amount of symptoms)

Sorry for the confusion. Opinions of people who haven't even tried it are of no use. But Of course anyone with first hand experience with it has a valid opinion regarding the post

Little off topic, I've CT'd a few times off high dose daily oxy and have recently used kratom as a transition to taper off successfully (I have zero self control trying to taper oxy) and it works fucking awesome...go search some kratom for withdrawals threads you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you can honestly use for 3 days and quit, I say try it. The only way its going to work is to get spun the fuck out. Little bumps arent going to keep you entertained. Meth isn't actually helping yoir withdrawal symtoms, your just not going to give a shit about them. It stops the shits for the sole reason that you'll be dehydrated to shit.

If your trying to quit for good I wouldn't go there. The week of discomfort pales in comparison to PAWS. Id take acute withdrawal for a month if it meant I could skip PAWS.

Ive tried meth to get off several times, all ending in meth addictions and I fucking hate stimulants. When you're coming down off meth, you're going to do opiates.

Hmmm. Detox just seems downright impossible to get all the way through. No matter what method is used.

And yes kratom has been tried. Every strain, but none seem to work. However tolerance was rather high. Currently daily dose has been tapered and is around 20 to 40 mgs. So maybe kratom will have more of an effect now.

And the fear isn't the withdraw itself but the PAWS which is the single most influential force in relapse. And you're saying that meth just exacerbates it?
There's no possible way around it.
It seems the best choice would be a good support group of helpful influential friends and keeping busy with enjoyable activities.

Here is the "recipe" that is being considered and will begin tomorrow.

1st/2nd day: small doses of meth to keep up and alert and prevent the pain and discomfort of withdraw

3rd day: the come down should be settling in so promethazine and klonopin will be used to ensure sleep along with prescription strength naproxen for any residual pain. Along with ondansetron and loperamide for stomach churning and diarrhea.

4th day: after awaking from the short coma the pain should be gone and depression and fatigue should be strong. This is where small doses of kratom will be used along with the continued use of naproxen, loperamide, and ondansetron to keep away any discomfort.

Everyday after this will be a fight of will power that will be combatted with friends and activities and possibly doses of kratom (which will be used very sparingly considering it is also addictive)

It may be useful to add that marijuana is completely out of the question because it brings about extreme anxiety (in case anyone has been wondering why it hasn't been addressed)

This definitely is not the most conventional and many will likely not agree but nothing else has worked. And what's one more failure to add to the list. Worst care scenario is to just start over and try again with something new.

But with will and strength success will come and sobriety will be had.

What is everyone's thoughts?
And also does anyone have any personal recipes for success that they'd like to add?

Updates are to come.

So to no surprise, that obviously didn't work. It was worth a shot though, right?

Addiction is still in control and the only way out seems to be rehab or a serious life altering event.
Both of which seem neither convenient or likely at this time.

So, just gonna keep riding until it takes me somewhere else and things are more clear...

I used methamphetamines to combat the extreme depression and worse shit that I experienced after cold turkey quitting my life's opiate addiction. Have used methamphetamine to deal with opiate WDs many times before. I don't condone it, but I don't deny that for some people it may be effective. Should really be a last resort type deal.

I've used meth while withdrawing from opiates and it does seem to help. But if you happen to run out of meth before the detox ends, oh boy are you gonna feel like shit lol. You also run the risk of trading one addiction for another, I jumped back and forth between meth and opiates there for awhile. It makes sense though, since it helps with the depression and lethargy.

^ Yes, i think the biggest risk here is switching out one addiction for an even stronger dopamine releasing agent.

Vyvanse worked for me when I came off heavy kratom extract usage the first time, amphetamine can reduce pain sensations, at least until the comedown, and the restless legs wasn't too bad to deal with considering the dopamine boost from it. Prepare to shit like crazy though and probably not get much sleep, I wouldn't go with adderall tbh cause that l-amp would make me too anxious on the crash while coming off opiates

I've never used meth at all, never even seen it or been offered it. That being said, I think Adderall is an excellent aid in quitting opiates. I would never take it if I didn't taper and was having any kind of GI discomfort, nor would I take it if I was inexperienced with it. It has helped me in the past in the final stages when you just need a few days to pass and to help get rid of that feeling where nothing sounds interesting or worth doing. This usually corresponds with a low energy level, which Adderall or any amphetamines would obviously also help with.

I skimmed the last posts. I can see it assisting in the detox, but only used strategically. You only use it lightly during rough patches. I cannot see this as an every day drug to use during withdrawal. Major self control is needed on your part. Also I said assisting. That means other things need to bolster your detox. You can find the threads anywhere on here. There were many great posts in this thread by the way.
I hope that helps. Feel free to PM me.

Speed King