• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: most "disturbed/ing" movies

Bump, yay

The Rules 0f Attraction---
I am really glad that someone specifically recommended this to me, else I might not have seen it for a while. I rented it yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised. Its not only not bad, its one of the best Hollywood produced movies Ive seen in a while. It seems to have the same underlying theme of American Psycho(the whole yuppie uber-narcissism, and how it sometimes warps peoples inner lives to something grotesque) but I found these people actually relatable, unlike Patrick Bateman(thankfully).
I think it definitely qualifies as disturbing(and im also adding it to my personal list of "movies you should not watch under the influence", thanks mainly to the opening sequence and the damn near unbearable (successful) suicide scene.

Sick and 120 Days--

I think these movies are both worthwhile, but as some have mentioned, it takes a strong stomach if you wanna appreciate it fully.

But, like Andre Breton said

Beauty will be convulsive or no longer be at all

im having a amateur film critic moment, thank you

hey MouseonMars, is that a lain avatar you have?? If you can sit through all of SE:Lain, then you will be wondering what the hell you just watched... makes you think REALLLLLLY hard.... can be pretty disturbing depending of what you make of it.........

besides that, I think someone else already said these, but 8mm and Naked Lunch (Thats the one with the roach stuff isnt it?) ...... those are both... wierd...

oh, and a great one, is "Cannibal!: The Musical" ... if you are into that kind of stuff... lol... i own it.... it rocks.....

twominds said:
^^^^Bob Flannigan also appeared in the brilliant clip for Nine Inch Nails "Happiness in slavery." If you haven't seen it I'd advise all to seek it out.

if you can, get your hands on the NIN's entire broken movie. happiness in slavery is only part of the movie. its about 20 minutes long and pretty disturbing throughout.

animal_cookie said:
if you can, get your hands on the NIN's entire broken movie. happiness in slavery is only part of the movie. its about 20 minutes long and pretty disturbing throughout.

good choice... if anyone wants it, i can put it on my ftp ;) (dont worry, i dont even think it was copywrited)... wasnt even meant to be for the public... it was deemed "too disturbing"... :) sweet...

I guess to elaborate on what it actually IS... its a movie where 90% of it is a music video....the rest is a "movie" i guess.... kinda hard to explain.... there is stuff that happens between the videos... you would need to see it to understand (without me spoiling it.. hehe)..

Great thread :) I love these types of films, i've added some into my notepad file of films to get - slowly making my way through the list. Everything has been said so far but I would place "8MM" up pretty high as far as disturbing films go. I've just got something with gimps, I think any element of "gimp" can be considered pretty disturbing. In fact, if somebody made a film of a gimp standing in an empty room facing the camera for 2 and a half hours I would find it pretty disturbing, yet I wouldn't lose focus at all -- interesting ;)

off the top of my head id say natural born killers. altough i havent seen most of the movies mentioned.

KIDS
Deliverence
Requim of a Dream
Story of O
BASE MOI
Quills
Secretary
The Pianist
Natural Born Killers
8MM
Jackob's Ladder
Clockwork Orange
Strangeland
Naked Lunch
Princessa (about a tranvestite prostitutes quest to earn enough to get an operation to make her completely female)

Last edited:
Pink Flamingos.

Singing asses, chicken sex, and impregnation with a syringe. Just about takes the fucked-up cake.

I saw Trainspotting on DVD tonight and I'd add that to my list, I'd heard so much about this film and only managed to check it out for the first time tonight. I found it rather disturbing though not to the same extent as Requiem though they deal with very similar things.

Stark said:
Pink Flamingos.

Singing asses, chicken sex, and impregnation with a syringe. Just about takes the fucked-up cake.

Omg, I completely forgot about John Waters. He also did a short at the beginning of his career,that allegedly, simply reenacted the death of Diane Linklater (falling from a window a few floors up). He did this the day after she died, and although I like John Waters enough, thats feels a little too far into shock territory for my taste

DD, Naked Lunch also gets a vote of mine, glad to see someone mention it.

and ouroboros, if you like both American Psycho and The Rules of Attraction, you should check out Less Than Zero which is another movie adapted from a Bret Easton Ellis book . . . not near as disturbing, but the best book to movie adaptation of one of his works IMHO . . . . Robert Downey Jr.'s best work aside from Chaplin.

simply_rhythmatik said:
What exactly was disturbing about Rules of Attraction?
Nothing!! I found it quite tame. After reading the mayority of Bret Eastern Ellis' books the films are always anti-climatic.

Henry, Portrait of a Serial killer
great movie, but pretty freaky and disturbing , especially when they break into the house and murder the family!!!

oh yeah, anything with Hugh Grant is pretty fucking disturbing if you ask me
i just cant watch a movie with him in it !!!!=D

Atari said:
hey MouseonMars, is that a lain avatar you have?? If you can sit through all of SE:Lain, then you will be wondering what the hell you just watched... makes you think REALLLLLLY hard.... can be pretty disturbing depending of what you make of it.........

Yeah it is. It's fairly confusing on first watch - but I love a good series that'll make you think and this one definitely needs more viewings to comprehend. I don't think it's too disturbing, though.