• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Kung foo movies

EtherealBandit

Bluelighter
What are some good kung foo movies out there? Im not looking for the chessy ones with poor special effects, in fact i have avery particular type i would like to see:

One in which one of the characters attains powers that could be described as inhuman or godly.

Crouching tiger stepped up a few notches basicly. I really doubt if anything like this exists, but then again you never know :>

You want martial arts with super powers??? Remember this crazy bastard from "Big Trouble in Little China":

lightning.jpg

I think I have the perfect match for you, though I havent seen it; I have been told my many who have seen it and from the previews I am damn confident this is exactly what you are looking for, the movie is called 'HERO' and it stars martial art masters Jet Li and Donnie Yen. US release is around April whereas Aus release I think around June. Anywayz have a look at my HERO thread for more information. Ciao.

91m.jpg

THE LAST DRAGON!

BRUCE LEROY!

buahahahaha.

------------------------

Seriously, you want a good Kung Fu movie, get "Fist of Legend." Fucking badass, I love this movie. They don't have powers or anything in it though, but the characters are just inhumanly strong.

Mr_AuDiO said:
I think I have the perfect match for you, though I havent seen it; I have been told my many who have seen it and from the previews I am damn confident this is exactly what you are looking for, the movie is called 'HERO' and it stars martial art masters Jet Li and Donnie Yen. US release is around April whereas Aus release I think around June. Anywayz have a look at my HERO thread for more information. Ciao.

Actually, I already bought the HERO DVD like 8 months ago... so I don't know if you meant that they are actually going to bother with a mainstream theater release. Seems like a kinda silly idea, but its been done before (Rumble in the Bronx).

I actually had the fortune of being able to see HERO in a theater while I was in Cheng Du, China during Christmas of 2002. Supposedly it broke all sorts of box office records. It's a good flick, but definitely not better than Crouching Tiger - Not even Jet Li's best work, IMO.

SG

Any of the "Once Upon a time in China" films are sick. I like 1 and 3. THe rest are all kick ass too but those are my two favorite. Club Foot is the Man. The Bruce lee Master collection dvd set is a must for any martial arts fan.

Last edited:
"master of the flying guillotine" for super cheesy kung fu movie.

sho

Sebastians ghost: yea that guy was neat. i was hoping for something like akira, only live action, and with martial artists.

I want to see almost a comic book type thing, but with a halfway believable story, and dragonballz type "energy projection".

I really anything like what im looking for exists, although i will check out "hero"
thanks for the replies

^^
In his autobiography, Jackie admits that his favorite fight scene of all time that he's ever done is in that movie, against a guy called Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez. Some really good fights in that movie. Jackie Chan even goes as far as to admit that he probably wouldn't be able to beat Benny in a real fight.

Plus, anyone interested in his films or Kung Fu should read his book, its awesome. Its called "I Am Jackie Chan" and he talks about real life bar fights, skirmishes with a young Bruce Lee, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Once upon a time in china - for sure, don't miss
Storm riders - fantasy martial arts
drunk master - classic jackie chan
city hunter - so funny but cheese
ghost cop & erotic ghost story - see them anyway
fist of the north star - manga cartoon for big boys/girls

These should get you started, i've seen just about every martial arts movie i can get my hands on but most are too cheesy to mention.

an old one ('74) that i just saw for the first time recently is 'the street fighter' with sonny chiba (hattori hanzo in kill bill). i really liked it...he is a badass in it. his noggin buster move was a little outrageous, but overall it was pretty good. kinda ends abruptly though.

edit: this movie doesn't really fit your description (not too cheesy or too terrible of effects, but the characters don't have special powers or anything).

Last edited:
Sonofabitch....I'm drawing a blank, but there was a really good movie in recent years about some master in China during the Japanese occupation who was primarily a pacifist but taught the townspeople self-defense based on the abuses they suffered at the hands of the Japanese. At one point, he's brought into a gym to face off against the Japanese soldiers, where if he can beat 3 in a row he can win some grain to take back to feed the family. He ends up saying he'll take on 10 at once, and does, kicking their asses. There is an assistant to the Japanese commander ready to shoot him for shaming the Japanese soldiers, but the commander pushes the assistant aside - having respect for the master, and he the commander comes down to fight him himself, if I recall...and lost as well.

Lol, so I know I'm describing a boatload of kung fu movies....but this one was recent, very good, and I am struggling to remember the name of it. Hell, I don't think it was a Jet Li film, but it could have been (I really don't want to think it is, though).....maybe "Fearless"? Help?

what are some old type kung fu movies that are really gorey? like when they punch through peoples chest and rip out there heart and stuff.

Like pretty cheesy but an absoloute bloodfest.