• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
did anyone else see this?

it was a lot different than Shyamalan's other films in that it avoided some of the gimmicks that his other stories use. there is a beginning, a middle, and an ending, but without giving anything away, i'm not really sure how important the in-between parts are.

Finder said:
How this guy is able to keep putting out movies is beyond me. I'd rather go watch a Michael Bay movie marathon.

worldwide grosses of his movies:

the sixth sense $672M
unbreakable $248M
signs $408M
the village $260M
lady in the water $72M

total $1.66 billion

love them or hate them, that's why he gets to keep making movies :)

alasdair

Anyone actually see this yet ? I really like paranormal stuff and this seems like it would be right up my ally...

alasdairm said:
worldwide grosses of his movies:

the sixth sense $672M
unbreakable $248M
signs $408M
the village $260M
lady in the water $72M

total $1.66 billion

love them or hate them, that's why he gets to keep making movies :)

alasdair

I liked The Village a lot and it made less than Signs? Signs sucked.

i went to watch it the other day, and honestly was really disappointed... at the end of the movie people were throwing shit at the movie screen and actually tore a hole through it.... thats how much people appreciated this movie 8)

yeah. I decided this is his last chance with me. If this is bad, he will no longer exist to me.

and there's the big selling point they're using in the commercials:

"The director of Sixth Sense and Signs first R RATED MOVIE!!"

OMG! THE NEW M. NIGHT SHAMALAN MOVIE IS RATED R!!!!!! Drop everything and see this movie IMMEDIATELY!

He really needs to learn how to end a movie. He tries waaaay to hard to make this crazy "twist". The ending of Signs was just pathetic. Great movie until the end. "Swing away"... Ooooohhh! That's what the cut in half wife meant as she was dieing years earlier! An alien invasion! That makes total sense!

bnewt said:
i went to watch it the other day, and honestly was really disappointed... at the end of the movie people were throwing shit at the movie screen and actually tore a hole through it.... thats how much people appreciated this movie 8)

it intentionally has a B movie feel at certain points, but it is so subtle that i can see how some people might mistake it for sincerity. i saw the movie partly because Roger Ebert, who has been extremely critical of recent M Night works, gave it a pretty good review. ultimately, the movie is not as rich or imaginative in its premise as something like The Village, but it fixes some of the other serious flaws. it is still a difficult film to recommend to people, because most people will probably be disappointed. for me, there were enough interesting things going on to give it 3 out of 5 stars. though it might be better to watch in the fall when there are fewer choices at the theater.

bnewt said:

bwahahaahahaahahahaghghghaha

bnewt said:
i think you need to find a new neighborhood, with people who aren't so criminally reprehensible.

tambourine-man said:
That's my feeling, also. The Village pretty much killed his credibility for me. That one about the mermaid has never graced my screen.

you should THANK yourself that you did not see the Lady in the Water. the film was so horrendous I think I puked and then tried to swallow that puke so I could just as soon I forgot I had seen the movie and then puked right after I have seen the movie.

that being said I thought the 6th Sense was good, and I loved Unbreakable due to the comic book nerd inside of me.

I have heard that M. Night did not write the script for this movie, which means that it can actually be ok.

it was ok i saw it about 2 nights ago.... it was ok i guess

NSFW:
i didn't exspect the plants at all....kinda corny to me.... but all in all i was kinda disapointed just a lil tho cuz i mean it was ok

I enjoy M Night Shyamalan movies because he doesn't really try to cater towards Hollywood audiences. He just does his thing, literally, leaving it up to you to take it or leave it.

For example, while I can see the weaknesses in Lady in The Water, I enjoyed the way it is a very original, new kind of urban fairy tale in which the main characters are adults. Shyamalan himself said that he didn't really care whether the movie was successful or not, he just wanted to tell a story his own way without economic considerations.

I just saw The Happening today. It is similar to his other movies. Self-indulgent, but interesting because of its freshness and originality. And suprisingly poignant if you allow it to be.

Last edited:
Junction said:
I just saw The Happening today. It is similar to his other movies. Self-indulgent, but interesting because of its freshness and originality. And suprisingly poignant if you allow it to be.

Originality? Stephen King did similar stories years ago after 30 odd years and finally running out of good stuff to write about:\ How long has Shaymalan been doing it?

^^ yeah I guess 'originality' is stretching it a little. I guess what I was referring to was the different flavor Shyamalan movies have when compared to others of the same genre that have been released lately...

I gave it two stars because the acting and chemistry was horrid. Mark Wahlberg does a poor job of being the gentle husband and is nothing short of lame. the concept of the film i thought was wonderful, the execution, not so much.