Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: the chronicles of riddick

rate this movie

• [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • [img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1.bluelight.nu/pi/16.gif[/img][img]http://i1

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

*=Regulator=*

Bluelighter
FILM: Chronicles of Riddick

I really enjoyed this film.

Riddick is such a bad-ass character - he is so bad but he has that little hint of a conscience that makes him interesting and adds a bit of depth beyond the standard movie hero.

Chronicles was obviously made with a much larger budget than pitch black and although it has amazing effects it still retains the dark and gritty tone if its prequel.

The film benefits from having two layers of bad guys for Riddick to dispense with, adding something to the usual one man v evil faction scenario.

Sure, it's cheesy but Vin Diesel oozes 'don't fuck with me' in the tradition of Arnie at his best.

Overall: Awesome effects, Some solid characters and an interesing plot - 3/4.

Fans of the series will lap it up.

I actually liked this movie quite a bit. I liked Pitch Black enough to be interested when I first heard there was going to be a sequel, but Chronicles of Riddick was actually better than I was expecting it to be. The special effects were done quite well and the fight sequences were some of the better ones I've seen recently. I liked the set design a lot too.

While I wouldn't say Vin Diesel is really a good actor, I think he fits this role very well. I understand getting this made was somewhat of a personal passion of his and he was very enthusiastic about playing the character again.

I remember reading that it was supposed to be a trilogy, all though I'm doubting a sequel at this point since the movie only made back about half it's budget. I think it actually could've made for an interesting series, but I guess there just wasn't much interest in the film. It's too bad really, I was actually looking forward to seeing what they might've done with a second movie.

^^
Vin Diesel owns the production company responsible for this film and has been heavily involved in creating the "riddick" world.

There are actually four releases in this series so far.
The first in the series is the recently released x-box game "chronicles of riddick". Diesel owns the studio that made this game.

Second, of course, is the cult classic, Pitch Black.

I think many would be unaware that there is an animated movie that bridges the gap between pitch black and chronicles of riddick. It's about 30 mins long and was animated by the same guy that did "matriculated" on the animatrix. Vin Diesel does the voice of Riddick so it's quite authentic. I've seen it (although I can't remember the name) and it's fantastic - check it out.

Chronicles is certainly set up for a third feature length movie, although it doesn't sound like it has done too well in cinemas. How long has it been out in the US?

I think because pitch black was a bit of a sleeper a lot of people won't have seen it and as a result will be a bit perplexed by Chronicles.

It would be a shame (IMO) if the series is canned because of this....

It's been out for about a month and a half. It cost a little over a hundred million to produce, and has only made about 50 or 60 so far. It might find it's audience on DVD and video still, but a sequel seems unlikely.

I hope they make the third, and finish it, unlike the whole Conan series, which takes up a similar concept.

I thought it was a great stoner film (The opening was spectacular). Like in some grand Dune tradition.
The visuals were great and I liked the look of the film. I liked that Colm Feore, Karl Urban, and Judi Dench did sort of strange roles in it (anyone ever see 22 Short Films About Glenn Gould? Wicked film). Mind my french but as I dimly recall the whole Necromonger thing was weird as fuck. I never did catch on to how they became to be, or why there was that pool thing (? with a consciousness). Good ending. Probably turn out to be a cult classic like the Pitch Black film.

If they make a 3rd film I think its going to be a weird script. Basically Riddick as conqueror? They'll have to introduce some new characters or something to give it a bit of life. Will Judi Dench make a return? She would have to. As well as Karl Urban and Thandie Newton (who was marvelous in the film. There was a touch of Shakespeare that a lot of the other actors brought into it, which was nice).

I imagine Vin will make a 3rd movie on the basis that hes so passionate about this film. I think hes got the bug of being in some sci-fi world where anything can happen.

*=Regulator=* said:
It's about 30 mins long and was animated by the same guy that did "matriculated" on the animatrix. Vin Diesel does the voice of Riddick so it's quite authentic. I've seen it (although I can't remember the name) and it's fantastic - check it out.

I was about to scream BLOODY LIER but you're right! Peter Chung did do it! Matriculated is my favourate of the Animatrix and Aeon Flux is legend.

But....
I (sorta) saw Chronicles of Riddick about lunch time today and fell alseep a few times. I wasn't even tired, just bored. I don't think it was worth the money I didn't pay to see it. Oh well, free siesta.

^^
I think you really need to have seen pitch black and The Dark Fury to appreciate Chronicles....

Although it's been a while, i've seen Pitch Black twice and enjoyed it at the time. Either I was younger and had different tastes back then or the original is much better than the Chronicles. Not sure but I bet it's a little of both.

I haven't seen this yet, but any movie with copious amounts of Vin Diesel has GOT to be a good thing....*cleans drool from chin* =D

i'm really looking forward to this, surprisingly, i loved pitch black, and it actually showed that diesel has real acting talent (which i'm sure you're totally interested in raz ;)=D), before he went on to do...well, a bunch of shit.

should be good :)

I had to high of exspectations after the film pitch black which i loved the cinematography for. Dont get me wrong the movie itself, riddick that is, was visually beautiful but i thought the gabe vin deisle one to many arnold swartzenager like lines. The story was intriguing i liked the good vs evil play. but the diologue was over the top

i wish vindiesalnator toned it down abit.

-phil-

this movie insulted my intelligence

the best thing about it was the costumes.

I _loved_ Pitch Black. Gritty sci-fi is very hard to come by. I loved the notion of space travel that everyone hates. I loved the notion of a guy charging over an alien lanscape armed with a pump-action shotgun after a convict who kills with a shiv.
Chronicles was several steps removed. You knew the second you saw the bright shiny balls of plasma that opened the film that this was _not_ the universe we imagined Pitch Black was stuck in a grimy little corner of. Helion Prime? Necromongers? Furians?

Riiiiiiight.

Nonetheless, abandoning anything but the most tenous connection to Pitch Black allows you to settle in for a series of nice set pieces, driven by some dialogue that definitely weighs it's own importance.

And let's not forget Vin. Sweet Jesus, that man is just never sexier than when he's Riddick.

'It's an animal thing'

*drools*

4/5

Wire.

I don't know how much this is actually related to the film, but....I walked into a wall today because I was too busy checking out Vin Diesel on the ad for this movie on the side of a bus. Seriously.

Only three more days till I get to see it for myself =D

I decided to watch this movie on 2ci,since I wasn't looking forward to seeing it anyway. Promised my date though. Even though I was watching it with new eyes,I could still see that this movie was a shit sandwich. I do recommend seeing a movie on 2ci,though. Difficult to explain,but let's just say I was having a hard time not laughing out loud during most of the movie. He he he!

Chronicals of Riddock (warning spoilers)

I was hoping someone could shead some light on the this movie.

I saw it on Fri night. While I must say I enjoyed it, theres been one thing that Ive been scratching my head over.

You know the part of the movie they're on the worst prison planet in the universe and they've escaped and running across "volcano valley" on the surface of the planet with the sun rising behind them towards the place holding their ship.

Anyway how is it they manage this when I believe its 700degrees when the suns out on the planets surface without getting fried or their feet at least burnt off? Or When the sun has reached them all they have to do is hide in the shade behind something.

Yeah I know this movie is Sci Fi, but does anyone have any theories?