Votes: 3 8.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
I love Trek, Wrath of Khan being one of my favourite movies.

Looking at the trailer i am concerned i am going to be seeing Dawsons Creek in space.

Couldn't watch it through. Decent action scenes and production values, but overall it didn't interest me. I mean, the guys with tattoos on their heads are pretty uninspired aliens. The films supposed to be set in the future but (like a lot of contemporary sci-fi) it feels like a mix of futuristic elements and everyday elements... like the Nokia thing somebody mentioned - and the fact that he's driving a convertable car - and the bar fight - the dialogue... it's like they're not making any effort to make the film feel like it's set in the future. Reminded me of 'I, Robot' in that sense. From what I've seen of the original Star Trek films (I'm not a fan), the universe they created decades ago (however cheesy and low-budget) was more consistent in terms of being detached from the current time period. It felt like another time. This, however, doesn't. If you took the bar fight scene out of the context of the film (and removed the alien guy sitting at the bar), then it might as well be set in the year 2009 or 2000. The dialogue, the clothes, the hairstyles... No fucking imagination whatsoever. But then again I always thought that about Star Trek in general. They always just seem to glue something onto someones forehead and call them an alien... or make their ears pointy. Fuck Spock in the eyeball.

How many ears has Spock got?
Three.

The left ear, the right ear, and space... the final front ear.

hang your head in shame, tambo.

Couldn't watch it through. Decent action scenes and production values, but overall it didn't interest me. I mean, the guys with tattoos on their heads are pretty uninspired aliens. The films supposed to be set in the future but (like a lot of contemporary sci-fi) it feels like a mix of futuristic elements and everyday elements... like the Nokia thing somebody mentioned - and the fact that he's driving a convertable car - and the bar fight - the dialogue... it's like they're not making any effort to make the film feel like it's set in the future. Reminded me of 'I, Robot' in that sense. From what I've seen of the original Star Trek films (I'm not a fan), the universe they created decades ago (however cheesy and low-budget) was more consistent in terms of being detached from the current time period. It felt like another time. This, however, doesn't. If you took the bar fight scene out of the context of the film (and removed the alien guy sitting at the bar), then it might as well be set in the year 2009 or 2000. The dialogue, the clothes, the hairstyles... No fucking imagination whatsoever. But then again I always thought that about Star Trek in general. They always just seem to glue something onto someones forehead and call them an alien... or make their ears pointy. Fuck Spock in the eyeball.

agreed. well put.

It didn't feel enough like star trek to me. I thought it was an entertaining movie, just not star trek.

Question to those of you who didn't like it: Did you see it in a theater?

yes. gmax. awesome seats, massive screen and sound.

sure it was action packed and the time went by fast, it's just so damn shallow and nauseatingly self conscious. it really was star trek muppet babies.

I love all star trek movies except part 5, and I thought this new star trek was great. I went to see it with my girlfriend who hates star trek/sci-fi and she thought it was a very good movie. They almost made it cool to like star trek for the first time in, well in forever.

if i were prezdent, there'd be free blowjobs on every street corner

^mmmmm, herpies...

I saw it in the cinema as well. I wasn't expecting much of the film. I was expecting it to be watchable and that's about it... but it wasn't. It was poorly written, directed and acted. The music was inappropriate. The main characters were unlikable.

The only reason that anybody likes it as far as I can see is because of the Star Trek brand name.

If the film was exactly the same in terms of story structure and character personalities, dialogue, etc. - but you took out every reference to Star Trek and called it something else... then nobody would give a shit.

Without the 'in jokes' and the impersonations the film doesn't exist.

It is yet another attempt at cashing in on prequel/sequels.

Next up is (this isn't a joke): Raging Bull 2

^Supposed to be both a prequel and a sequel to Raging Bull without Pesci, De Niro or Scorcese... but still it will probably be better than this steaming pile of shit.

I loved this movie. I've seen it twice.

My awareness of Star Trek before I saw this movie had been passing references in Futurama (and the actual Star Trek episode of Futurama) and Galaxy Quest. I had also seen a couple of the movies (First Contact and one or two of the others).

Anyhow, I'm not a massive Star Trek fan. But this movie as great. I felt that the actors did a great job. The new Kirk has the mannerisms of Shatner downpat.

I love time travel as well, it makes the plot delightfully complicated (I also happened to like Benders Big Score because I felt that the time travel was handled in a delighfully clever and complex way.)

Benders Big Score had the added enjoyment of tonnes of references to the whole Futurama series.

With Star Trek, I wasn't a die hard fan to begin with, so my appraisal of it is based on the movie itself. Personally I think that makes me less biased.

I found the Gene Roddenberry bit in poor taste. The man was a true visionary, and certainly worth more respect than that.

That skit is hilarious and obviously tongue in cheek.

And really... a satirical stab at a sci-fi movie creater is below the belt? Come on now.

Benders Big Score had the added enjoyment of tonnes of references to the whole Futurama series.

With Star Trek, I wasn't a die hard fan to begin with, so my appraisal of it is based on the movie itself. Personally I think that makes me less biased.

i loved the futurama references in bbs, but i hated the star trek references in st. funny, but this isn't really a double standard. futurama is a comedy based on making references to other things (including itself). whereas star trek is meant to be sci-fi, not a parody of anything.