• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
I was reading the IMDB reviews there are allot of bad reviews
i am still going to see it anyways but i have a feeling it's going to suck O well

one of the reviewers had a funny title "Set Phasers to CRAP" hehehehe

Seems those who hated it though where fond of the old Trek
i am one of those Seems perhaps i won't be enjoying it

Any old trek fans liking this one ?

<---- Lifelong Trek fan.

The movie has only been out two days, and I'm already seeing sparks fly between people who think it's a valid reinterpretation of the series, and those who think it's a traitorous, non-canonical abomination. Personally, I loved it in spite of its flaws, but I'm thinking this could create a real split in fandom, especially if it spawns a sequel or another series.

Loved it.

Was a big fan of TNG, wasn't a huge fan of TOS, loved DS9, didn't get into Voyager, and never even watched an episode of Enterprise...

All that aside, I was supremely entertained by this film, and that more than most things was what I took out of the experience. It kept me interested in what was going to happen, where it was going to go, and why whatever was going on, was going on. It was more than just 'splosions, and was really enjoyable.

I only gave it 4 stars, because well, I'm loath to give anything except the utmost awesomeness 5 stars, but this was really entertaining, and awesome :)

meh. bland generic actioner that is as self conscious as you'd expect, spurting out as many star trek cliches as i think of, except for maybe a weapon duel between spock and kirk. the cast do well with mimicking the original crew whilst keeping a straight face. pretty special effects and fast pace make the time just fly by, but there's absolutely none of the heady goodness that sets the trek world apart from other future sci fi universes. overtly dynamic camera movements at first seem quite nifty seeing the bridge from unusual angles making the room seem more real, but at other times just looks retarded since it can't sit still as close ups talk to each other. felt like the camera man had adhd.

on the whole it seemed far too rushed. there were opportunities for some nice atmosphere, horror and some substantive story flesh, but they are largely missed for the sake of pace.

2.5/5 (voted 3)

Eh, it was a really good movie. Still, it wasn't a Star Trek movie. It was an action movie that pretended to be a Star Trek movie.

I understand that in the modern day people are idiots and you have to dumb everything down, throw a bunch of explosions and CGI at them, and then make sure there's a titty or a half naked green alien chick to get them to watch and stay interested. Still, they could have tried sticking somewhat to the original gist of Trek which was to have a great cast of characters that had to solve a dangerous situation while also tackling a big philosophical message/scientific idea that made you think.

Again, the movie was good. The acting was good. The special effects were killer. The laughs were nice. The plot was dumb. Especially since black holes and traveling through time in them has been done numerous times now. It's getting old. I get that Abrams was trying to bridge the gulf between old Trek and this new Trek and needed time travel or whatever, but it came across as lame to me. Especially considering how little screen play Eric Bana got as Captain Nero. Well, I guess that was a good thing too, because his character was terrifically shallow. "AAARGH! Spock agreed to save my planet. He actually did come to save my planet, he was just a little bit late! Therefore, BILLIONS MUST DIE because I miss my wife and kid! RAWR RAWR RAWR!" Seriously, I actively tried NOT thinking about the plot line so I could enjoy the movie.

Oh yeah, black holes at the center of worlds? It's been done before, too. Read Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Funniest/best part of the movie which was a GREAT tribute to TOS was when they were trying to parachute onto the drill and disable it. The Owens guy was wearing a red uniform and you just KNEW he was going to get killed as "that guy." Sure enough, a couple of bounces and sucked into the laser stream.

^
Everyone liked that scene. The minute he said, "I feel like kicking some Romulan ass!", you knew he was a goner. :D

this has been the only movie I've watched since iron man that hasn't let me down me in some way. kinda blew my mind to see nimoy in it...

I really liked it!

I've never really watched any TOS, big TNG fan, didn't like DS9, watched Voyager and Enterprise but didn't think either were that great.

I thought it was going to suck, because
- I don't really think much of TOS
- I love Star Trek, and it was clear that this wasn't going to be a real *Star Trek* movie
- Simon Pegg (he's awesome, but as SCOTTY??)
- J J Abrams.... If this is LOST in space, I'll kill myself. Though I still compulsively watch LOST, I really can't stand the idea of a LOST & Star Trek offspring.

But no, it was really good! It *wasn't* Star Trek, in the way I know and love, but that didn't actually bother me (I thought it would).

The plot was... well, nonexistant. It might as well have been a collection of short, well done, entertaining scenes with no relationship to each other. Sounds crap, but really, it's not -- each essentially unrelated scene is a complete pleasure to watch.

Simon Pegg.... I managed about 5 seconds before I remembered that he's Simon Pegg. He was fine -- it's just that he's so recognisable.

I'm gonna give it 4 stars. There were a lot of things that I could easily criticise, but I just really, really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed it but I agree the plot line was really really dumb. I, generally, hate the use of time travel in movies. It's so dumb.... especially when characters 'meet themselves'. I'm with SpiralOut. I had to actively ignore the dumb plot lines. Especially the whole "did I have a good relationship with my father" scene. The whole thing bothered me. But, ignoring all that (;)), I loved it. Those monsters in the Arctic were freaking SCARY AS HELL. Loved that scene.

^
i hated that bit the most!

that snow covered planet to me seemed so tacked on and convoluted. it was kinda like the crappy cg wolves in the day after tomorrow.

bleh!

i tend to take a more holistic view of movies like this. i find that if i minutely analyse the timeline and such, it detracts from my overall enjoyment of what is little more than a low brow, big-budget summer actioner.

i saw it in the theatre and it delivered a great deal of enjoyment - the intro set-up was exciting, the casting was generally spot on and it was a light-hearted special effects bonanza.

alasdair

I think all three of us were taking holistic views. The flaws were so obvious that I purposefully ignored it so that I would still enjoy it. And I did.

As much as I love Trek, I'll be the first to admit that the premise is holier than Swiss cheese. But, having seen it a second time tonight...what a visual feast! This is a wonderfully fun movie.

just please PLEASE leave the product placement out (microsoft joystick enterprise controls.....bleh!)

Did anybody notice the Nokia phone in the 'antique' car?

I have been a total Trekkie for the last 15 years, but never like TOS. But knew enough about it to pick up on lots of nuances in this film. I'm sure there would be tonnes more for a TOS diehard fan.

Loved the Beastie Boys song, and there were a couple of LOL moment.

Love it, 4 stars.

Did anybody notice the Nokia phone in the 'antique' car?

my dad is that guy from the metallica video with no legs or arms and is both blind and deaf and even he saw that obvious plug