Votes: 2 40.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

bRoken&foRgoTTen

Greenlighter
photo_32.jpg

Synopsis
Based on Puccini's classic opera La Boheme, Jonathan Larson's revolutionary rock opera Rent tells the story of a group of bohemians struggling to live and pay their rent in the gritty background of New York's East Village. "Measuring their lives in love," these starving artists strive for success and acceptance while enduring the obstacles of poverty, illness and the AIDS epidemic.

Rent's diverse and unconventional community is made up of impassioned and defiant individuals. Roger (Adam Pascal) is an aspiring songwriter who has emotionally shut down after his girlfriend's suicide. Despite his attraction, he is reluctant to start a new romance with his downstairs neighbor Mimi Marquez (Rosario Dawson), an exotic dancer struggling with baggage of her own. Roger's roommate Mark (Anthony Rapp) is a filmmaker trying to balance art and commerce. His girlfriend Maureen (Idina Menzel), a self-indulgent performance artist, recently left him for a lawyer named Joanne (Tracie Thoms).

Also part of this close-knit circle is Tom Collins (Jesse L. Martin), a professor of philosophy who, after being mugged, is rescued by his soul mate, a high-spirited street drummer, Angel Shunard (Wilson Jermaine Heredia). Benny (Taye Diggs), who alienated his friends after he married their landlord's daughter, has reneged on his promise to provide rent-free artist space to his bohemian friends. Once a close friend, he is now viewed as the enemy since threatening them with eviction.

One of the longest running shows on Broadway, Rent was the winner of the 1996 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, the Obie Award, the New York Drama Critics Circle Award, four Tony Awards and three Drama Desk Awards.

--© Sony Pictures

trailers
1 - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rent/trailers_player.php?IGNMediaID=1243283&playerType=videolarge
2 - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rent/trailers_player.php?IGNMediaID=1163734&playerType=videolarge

Theatrical Release Date: Nov 23, 2005

-----

Usually I am not big into musicals. and i hate broadway crap. but i am actually very excited to see this movie! a few more days!

Last edited:
Rent is by far one of my favorite musicals. I love how the entire original cast is still together with the exception of one who's now played by Rosario Dawson, who I'm iffy about but still am pretty sure that it's going to be absolutely awesome. The story behind Rent and Jonathan Larson surpasses the main feature itself however.

I'll go more into it later. but for now, this girl is super excited to see how it has turned out.

i hope this film is good, but it's going to be hard to be as phenomenal as the musical.

Wow is all i can say. i just got home from seeing the movie. i was surprised to see everyone in the theater singing along to the songs. i thought i would be the only loser there who knew the songs. the energy in the theater was amazing. something you just don't see very often, especially in Cornland USA. i remember after the movie ended and everyone stood up and cheered/clapped you could hear people crying.
i usually am not emotional as in crying at sad parts or such when it comes to movies (well unless of course I'm on something and my mind isn't right ... then sometimes movies tend to fuck with my head and I've been known to tear up) but at one point about 25 min left in the movie the story takes a sad turn (as most know) and even I got all misty eyed. There were numerous points during that it sent goose bumps down my body.

great movie! well acted! especially by Wilson Heredia who plays Angel.
I have been looking forward to seeing this movie for some time now and i feel it was def. worth the wait. def holds it's own!

one of the best movies i've seen all year.

I'm sure this movie will be just as annoying as the musical. And I generally like musicals.

I'm just flashing back to high school when every stupid annoying girl lived, breathed and wallpapered their lockers with Rent. *Shudder*

Ok....i have to admit ....among all the plays and musicals ive seen in my lifetime (and thats a lot).......I never really liked Rent.
The predictable and often cornily rhymed lyrics and the selection of insufferable cookie-cutter Boho characters who are only as interesting as the actors playing them made me shudder a few too many times during the performance.
There I said it. :X

Haha...backlash to the Rent phenomenon...awesome!

I actually enjoyed the musical a lot...not my favorite, but I did end up seeing it a second time. I'll be interested to see how the film adaptation compares to the stage version.

I've seen Rent twice in New York, twice travelling in Ohio, and I just got back from the movie tonight.

There were a few parts that they changed, but the transition from stage to screen was (surprisingly) very smooth and pulled off very, very nicely.
It was just as amazing to watch, everyone singing, crying, and clapping like b&f said, and the (mostly) original cast made it that much greater...

<3
what a show!!

^^^ All original cast with the exception of Mimi played by Rosario Dawson.

I'm stoked to see this. I might go tonight. =D

lol @ broadway crap

im pretty stoked for this even though i've never seen the musical:)

tranceaddiKt said:
^^^ All original cast with the exception of Mimi played by Rosario Dawson.

I'm stoked to see this. I might go tonight. =D

i thought joanne was different, too?

Went and saw this two nights ago.

Unfuckingbelievable.

It was a million and a half times better than I thought it would be.
I'm totally in love with Adam Pascal. *sigh*

syymphonatic said:
i thought joanne was different, too?

Yeah she's played by Traci Thomas, who isn't an original cast member. I thought the same as 2cee, but a quick search proved otherwise.

Went and saw this two nights ago.

Unfuckingbelievable.

It was a million and a half times better than I thought it would be.
I'm totally in love with Adam Pascal. *sigh*

Old thread, but I watched this movie for probably the 1,000th time tonight and thought of you, Ci. This is by far my favorite movie.

<3<3

I hope you're having a great holiday, and if you ever get around to reading this, want you to know my thoughts are with you.

Yeah she's played by Traci Thomas, who isn't an original cast member. I thought the same as 2cee, but a quick search proved otherwise.

Hope you're doing well too, Lapdawg. Still remember chatting with you in Toronto. :)

I fucking hated this movie with the fire of a thousand suns.

What. A. Piece. Of. Shit. I award it zero points and may god have no mercy on anyone involved.