Votes: 3 9.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters
I didn't check out the extras, but I did copy just the film, minus the extra's and menu's, so if you want a copy on DVD just PM me 1234. :)

Not a very original plot by all means, many movies made on midlife crisis. But oh my dear god this is one of my favorite films, Scarrlet is absolutely gorgeous and Bill presents the best acting in this film than any of his others. Extremely beautiful cinematography, fantastic directing, written with such a believable hand so real yet at the same time it is almost like a fantasy. Oh i love this film and love watching it and love everything about it there are so many great scenes such beautiful cinematography and writing and directing and i'm repeating stuff and and and *orgasm*8o

Well I've finally seen it................

.................It was OK. However I definitely don't get the hype surrounding it.

:|

You think that was the funniest movie ever? Doesn't take much to please you eh?

Ok I just watched this movie... and i don't understand the hype at all. There was no character development whatsoever, and imo, it was a predictable movie. The sexual tension was expected. It just seemed very amateurish, trying to be something it wasnt - as ... said up above - and there were several scenes that were just.. well, pointless, and several others that were just cut off.

When the end credits began, I was a bit miffed.

It was beautifully shot, casted great, but the story, imo, was lacking. The relationship that they shared was nice and all, but the movie definitely didn't live up to the hype for me. :\

I quite like Scarlett (especially from Ghost World) but her attractiveness doesn't make a movie good for me. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was one of the most touching movies I've seen. I think the messge was along the lines of how sometimes it's easier to open up to and be comfortable with a complete stranger. You can tell them things about your life that you can't tell to the people involved in it. A sort of escape if you will.
I thought this movie was beautiful.

Sofia Coppola's a gem! i really like this movie for numerous reasons. one because i've always wanted to go to Tokyo. two because of the the great accompanying soundtrack. and three because i absolutely adored the slow, gentle tempo of the narrative. really gave you time to think and just sort of sit back and quietly observe the world and the people in it. definitely what i loved most was this calm, reflexive nature of the movie.

For example one of my favorite scenes is when Scarlett is sitting by the window in her hotel room peacefully and contently looking out of it at the buildings and city beneath her. This scene lasts a good perhaps 30 or so seconds, where you get a close up of her face and then the camera follows her gaze outside of her window and onto the world around her. it's the quiet, good natured, loving, yet slightly sad character of Scarlett Johansson (Sp?) that made this process all the more enjoyable for me as a spectator.

And the taxi scene where she's travelling through the city at night, agin just looking out the window- absolutely beautiful imo.

so yeah, good movie. i advise people watch it.

I lived in Japan for three and half years and the culture isn't so strange. The people aren't so strange.

You just have to attempt to break down cultural barriers, (something poor princess obviously knows nothing about) instead of judging things on face value and discriminating.

Funny, because to tell you the truth thats what i think is exactly the point. in that, the title itself 'lost in translation' points (in my eyes) to show that words although useful, are at the same time in many ways restraints placed upon us. the movie shows that when you have no common language between two people you have to rely on soemthing else. and what you come to rely on is the aura, the intention which is universal and can never be lost. i actually really do think that she demonstrated this point very well on numerous occassions. i.e. the flower scene with Scarlett and the old lady... or the hospital scene with Bill Murray sitting in the waiting area next to the old women/man [hard to tell at that age sometimes ;)]. just two off the top of my head that perfectly display this breaking down of barriers and not discriminating between cultures.

p.s. i also just read what i wrote in my previous post, and i do suck at describing things sometimes. but all the same it really is a good movie. :(

[edited: soberer me explains things a little better ;)]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're letting your personal opinion of Sofia Coppola as person/ as a director (i.e. you "daddy" comments) cloud your judgement in this case.

although there may be some truth to those comments- but to tell you the truth i dont care if its all thanks to her or to other people. its a good movie all the same. in. my. opinion.

so fair enough.

and i would gladly watch the extra features on the DVD but i have no DVD player yet. :|

I was extremely disappointed by this flick, and I say that having liked Bill Murray in other films. Whee, amomie, isolation, alienation, dislocation! Can't get enough of that, no sir!

Hell, I enjoyed Razor's Edge more than LIT.

For my money, Eternal Sunshine, which was released not long after LIT, blew it away in terms of poignancy. I saw both films in the theater...after LIT finished I walked out thinking "what a waste of $7, I really got suckered by the critics on this one."

Sunshine just blew it away, period.

Last edited:
i agree completely. it was easy to watch, enjoyable even, but extremely overrated. it really tried way too hard to be more than it was. it seems every time america makes a film these days that doesn't involve a hollywood cliche it suddenly is deemed worthy of critical praise.

Last edited:
oh yeah, it's too hard to score a film out of 1-4 stars really. i gave it 2/4 but only because 3/4 is too good a score for this film. i wanted to give it 3/5. confused, i am ;)

bump.

just watched this again tonight and... its just beautiful.

definitely a film worthy of repeat viewings. there were so many little details that i picked up on upon watching this time round. and new favourite scenes too! i.e. her trip to the temple/ garden where she ties the little paper thing on the tree... <3

but perhaps most of all though i have to give massive praise to the director of photography who worked on this, cos the guy truly is amazing.

fantastic film.

p.s. i agree... the star system should be out of five.

glad to see this bumped again :)

i watch this movie a lot. never fails to put me in a good mood.

and i have to say, the opening shot is so elegant.

Originally posted by silvia saint
...but extremely overrated.

i appreciate this post is a little old but the timely thread bump brought it to my attention.

when discussing something entirely subjective like art, what does the term overrated actually mean?

it seems to mean that the person using it thinks their opinion is worth more than that of others - that, somehow, there is some objective measure of art against which people are valuing something too highly? it's nonsense.

next time you describe something as overrated think: perhaps it's not overrated - perhaps you are underrating it? ;)

alasdair

I dunno, I agree with the overrated crowd. I think when we say overrated it's meant in a way that it seems as if the norm is to praise the movie and we disagree.

Conversely, if something is underrated, it seems as if the majority of others' reviews of the movie are way overrated. All subjective I guess.

I saw the movie, and couldn't stop watching. I think a part of it was very touching and beautiful but I think I only kept watching it because I was waiting for something to happen. I think the idea and the way the movie was directed was beautiful, but I still don't think it was good as a movie. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest Bill Murray fans out there, but I just didn't "get" the film I guess.

Or I was just enamoured with Scarlet Johansen in the movie (that was Scarlet Johansen correct?). She is the most beautiful girl in the world in this movie.

Originally posted by j22
I think when we say overrated it's meant in a way that it seems as if the norm is to praise the movie and we disagree.

right - but you just have a difference of opinion. the term 'overrate' suggests that you (2nd person plural) believe the movie is objectively poorer than some people believe.

my problem is with the idea that it's possible, in any way, to objectively measure something as subjective as art.

alasdair