Votes: 3 9.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters
it's nice that you bring that up actually, because i think that the way in which the film itself deliberately deviates from the traditional linear, cause and effect style of filmmaking (nicely demonstrated through the ambiguous ending), is what emphasizes in this particular case the subjectivity of art, and in general life. thus it's percisely that which makes it not only a beautiful but quite a philosophical movie at the same time.

Last edited:
drEaMtiMe*@# said:
it's nice that you bring that up actually, because i think that the way in which the film itself deliberately deviates from the traditional linear, cause and effect form of filmmaking (nicely demonstrated through the ambiguous ending), is what emphasizes in this particular case the subjectivity of art, and in general life. thus it's percisely that which makes it not only a beautiful but quite a philosophical movie at the same time.

but what is so deeply philosophical about it that I'm missing? I'll admit - I'm sort of a meathead and just "don't get it" most of the time, but this movie has been done before - many times. This movie just kind of dulls it out a bit and takes away a lot of the drama that comes with being unfaithful or having thoughts of unfaithfullness, and it's shown in a different light. There's nothing groundbreaking about this movie in my opinion.

I respect your opinion, I'm just not on your wavelength when it comes to this movie. :)

agreed, and thank you for bothering to reply cos diversity in opinions is what makes this discussion interesting :)

as for the philosophical stuff, i can only speak on behalf of myself (obviously), and for me a lot of it in this movie comes from the cultural aspect. for example there are a lot of scenes which centre around scarlett johanssons character (charlotte), in particular, quietly observing japanese people and their culture. and because of the way the film is shot, wherein everything is made to look so smooth and elegant, it emphasizes the idea of how there is an ever present beauty which is to be found in difference, and life.

just the fact that i dont know what she's thinking when she witnesses, say, for example, in the scene which i previously mentioned where she travels by train to the temple, and sees the japanese bride, but i can tell by the expression on her face that she is amazed and happy, coupled with the fact that the way that scene's shot is so beautiful, is what gives it that ambiguous/ philosophical / humanitarian air. the experiencing beauty in difference, and life, idea.

also the fact that there wasn't special emphasis on the strong turbulence which individuals often experience upon having an affair. or the fact that given the way the film ends, where we don't know what happened between bob and charlotte after they parted ways, is actually something that i like - for it gives life and our experiences in life an inherent beauty, and intrigue, yet at the same time a certain meaninglessness. that is, through the absence of strong emotions the film opens up a lot of room for subjectivity to play its creative part. and it really draws you in to just sit back and observe the world like both characters have a tendency to do.

so, yep. also, when writing that last paragraph i just thought of something... how the fact that charlotte is a philosophy major may also have some symbolic relevance to these aspects of which i speak?

Okay I saw this again on hbo and it sort of struck me in a different way than my initial viewing. I quote a review :
Coppola's intentions would all be for naught without her two lead actors. Initially I feared casting Murray as a film star, through whom Coppola pokes at the entertainment world's self-centeredness, to be too much of a broad concept. Likewise, Johansson's early dialogue treads too heavily on earnest female soul-searching, threatening an unintentional turn into Lifetime movie parody or, worse, homage. These concerns are quickly rendered moot. In retrospect, Lost in Translation's early scenes necessarily play uncertain. Put on discordant edge, a viewer finds resolution the instant Bob spots Charlotte in the elevator, a musical moment in which two human essences harmonize. It's easy to sense when actors click like this. I feel it as a silent internal sigh – souls respond to each other onscreen and mine replies in affirmation.

That sums up quite nicely how i feel

Last edited:
alasdairm said:

my problem is with the idea that it's possible, in any way, to objectively measure something as subjective as art.

alasdair

Using the term objectivity to make any opinion as valid as any other's is the easy way out. Obviously there is a measure of subjectivity in almost anything, but knowledge makes certain opinions more influential and powerful than others.

This movie could have been excellent if only the two main characters' conversations were merely 85,307,734.62 times more interesting.

^^^ just on a general note to that comment i think that in life silence can sometimes be much more powerful than words. or rather that which is not actually said but expressed through a look, a touch, can be far more meaningful and memorable. essentially i'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but at the same time i don't agree with you either :)

besides that i have nothing more to add besides that i bought the lit soundtrack a few weeks ago cos i think that sofia coppola has great taste in music - it's absolutely beautiful.

yep, 'sometimes' by my bloody valentine is definitely one of my favourite tracks :) but also i'm quite a fan of air, and i also really like some of the stuff by brian reitzell & roger j. manning jr.

^ I was more referring to your statement that Sofia Coppola has great taste in music. Kevin Shields did the music. Coppola has great taste in musical directors.

Might aswell have been a picture, beautifully filmed but no real plot whatsoever.

drEaMtiMei said:
think that in life silence can sometimes be much more powerful than words. or rather that which is not actually said but expressed through a look, a touch, can be far more meaningful and memorable.

I agree completely and that's what I liked about the movie.

But just because silence can sometimes be more powerful than words, does not mean that when words are spoken, that they shouldn't be interesting to listen to.

And to me, they weren't.

If a movie is going to sacrifice plot in order to concentrate on the characters, the dialogue has absolutely got to draw me in.

When I watch Reservoir Dogs or Diner or When Harry Met Sally or Big Night or Love Story or The English Patient or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, I am completely OK with the fact there there is almost nothing going on because I feel PRIVILEGED to be allowed to eavesdrop on such scintillating conversations.

The conversations in Lost In Translation were mundane and boring, so while I empathized with the characters' plight, I didn't keep watching because I was enjoying myself; I kept watching out of a sense of obligation.

lmao.
I particularly like the scene where bill murray is singing my favorite Bryan Ferry song in karaoke...more than this....the way he sort of lilts than goes under during the refrain as he looks at scarlett johansenn is indescribably poignant.

dammit this is an amazing movie
It has a nice chill feel to it.

4/4 stars for me